Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag is Confirmed For Wii U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Everything else is secret until 4th March, mateys

So, earlier this week we reported the not-very-surprising rumour that a new Assassin's Creed game is coming this year, which seemed awfully coincidental. One of our network's team was also gearing up for an Assassin's Creed themed press event; what could it all mean?

Predictably, it means exactly as we thought, with Ubisoft confirming Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag, which is pleasingly also coming to Wii U; despite a notable controversy of late, Ubisoft has been showing multi-platform love for Nintendo's system.

You can see the pack-shot pictured, and as the artwork and title suggests we can expect pirates to feature in the adventure. We'll be able to share more details at 5pm British time on Monday 4th March.

So, what do you think of the title and theme, and are any of you Wii U owners interested in picking this up when it arrives? Let us know in the comments below.

blackjim

blackjim said:

Hmm.... it looks interesting but I'm starting to feel this is becoming Call of Duty. I'll keep an eye on it.

KonataIzumi

KonataIzumi said:

Even if this is becoming CoD as long as the story is good thats all that matters. A game series can pump out a new game ever year and that is ok with me. It is how CoD is the same thing all the time plus the horrible CoD fanbase which gives it the bad taste ya know? If CoD had a new story in the games and the fanbase wasn't annoying 12 yr olds or sexist men I'm sure it would not get so much hate.

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

All I can think about upon reading the rumor and now news is old school punk rock, lol

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

The cover makes me think of the Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate cover for some reason. Looks promising! :)

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

awesome news! good to know another quality game in the series is coming to the wii U.

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

@KonataIzumi

Call of Duty may not innovate the formula, but with every installment it does a great job of attempting multiplayer perfection and providing everything that is essential for a sequel.

Judging its fanbase over all others is unfair since its audience is huge and should not be discriminated because of a minority.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Very interested to see how this works, and I'm glad they didn't stick with the setting in 3, as it just wasn't the right place for Assassin's Creed gameplay.

MAB

MAB said:

BLOPS2 isn't as good as MW3 in the multiplayer department.

AC3 bored me with the whole walk a few metres then cutscene, play a small section for a minute then big cutscene formula...

Yes I will get this just because of PIRATES ;)

kissoon

kissoon said:

Good news for the Wii U. Ubisoft is really winning me back over after the Rayman dust up. I'm waiting on AC3 to arrive so I'll see about that one before I put this on my must buy list.

Big_L91

Big_L91 said:

yeah seems promising, obviously the naval battles will play a bigger part, i saw a map on reddit earlier and it looks good. i hope its a big open world and theres plenty of little islands holding treasure. i think well see captain kidd as a character in this one too.

Late

Late said:

I've never tried any Assassin's Creed game. Might get this or AC3 when I can find them for 20€ or cheaper.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Hmmmm... I didn't really enjoy AC3. The setting of AC2, Brotherhood & Revelations were amazing & very interesting to me. I didn't really enjoy the setting nor the characters of AC3 (though I didn't really play much of it, admittedly). I am looking forward to more about the characters & the setting of this game, but I do love me some pirate, high seas action so I'm likely to get it.

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

Good news for the Wii U. Probably not for me though. Has this series improved? I'm all for a bit of third person non-run-&-gun action but I tried the first one on a friends Xbox when I was staying in their house and they were out and, after around four hours of incredibly tedious tutorials (run here - cutscene - press A, press B - cut scene, etc.) I was bored rigid and gave up. I don't play computer games to be told what to do.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

The jump in quality from Assassin's Creed to AC2 is one of the biggest I can ever remember.

I was so looking forward to the original, back before it even had a name, but ended up being so disappointed with it. So much so, that even when AC2 got great reviews, I ignored it. I finally picked it up last summer and realised I'd made a mistake to wait so long.

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

Man, I'm really getting burnt out on this. I was a huge fan of the series, but it has gone downhill as of late starting with Revelations. I think Ubisoft really needs to give these more time to cook and not just throw them out every year. And I'm not just talking about development time either.

I was just so hyped for AC3, but it turned out to be fairly low-quality. The pacing of the story seemed off and the number of bugs were atrocious! I could barely watch a cutscene with out either laughing or doing a face palm due to things being so out of sync.

Also, Pirates?! Really? That seems like such an easy cash-in. And yet they were saying they didn't want to do feudal Japan because it didn't fit...

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

not even interested in the slightest till i see game play and more info the story still to early for many dissapointments they been making -_____-

anyone noticed they been hinting a pirate theme since brotherhood with the pirate multiplayer characters?

Shanksta

Shanksta said:

I kinda wish they would've either picked a subtitle for the game or a number. 1,2, and 3 were all numbered but only the "expansion" titles had subtitles. I guess they haven't announced anything yet, but if its still Connor "Black Flag" would suffice. However, if its a new ancestor they should just call it IV. I know I sound picky, but why change the rules of your numbering system after 5 games?

Meaty-cheeky

Meaty-cheeky said:

@cornishlee Same thing with me when I played the first Assassin's Creed on the Xbox 360 the game was such a chore, and even when I would try my best to be stealthy the enemy A.I. would still go bat crazy and chase me for over five damn minutes. I put the controller down after 5 or 6 hours into the game couldn't take it any more and I never looked back at Assassins Creed, until AC3 the American Revolution setting really intrigues me?

Should I give this series another chance?

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

man I loved this series, AC, AC2, & Brotherhood were great games. Revelations was ok, 3 put me into a coma. Now we're playing as pirate assassins? Talk about jumping the damn shark.
Done with this series. Congrats to ubisoft for exploiting the hell outta one the most unique franchises (well when it first begun) gaming has seen in years.

drumsandperc92

drumsandperc92 said:

ok so....the rumor the other day had me thinking, "what? really? pirates?" regardless of how great the naval missions were in AC3, i didn't know how an AC pirates game could truly work.

That being said. This cover art looks so baddonkey !

And also, Edward Kenway? Grandfather of Connor? Father of Hatham? Maybe we will see Hatham as a child and see why he turns from the order and becomes a Templar.

Also it means it'll probably be set in the mid 1600s, and in Europe, most likely Britain (Hatham was british)

Which makes a lot of sense given the British long history of naval life, and also, even if all travel is done on sea and a huge part of the game takes place on the sea, I have to imagine there is obviously going to be a city or two or three to run around. London might be one of them... Sounds good to me.

Would make sense to visit Spain too, a huge focal point of exploration in that period - I'd love to run around some of that Moroccan architecture!

Also, if the open sea becomes the new 'frontier' of sorts, I do hope that they do it well and keep it interesting. I could see an open sea being sort of cool but also getting pretty old pretty quickly.

Swedishdolphin

Swedishdolphin said:

@Meaty-cheeky
Now, I have never played any other AC game, but I own AC3 but I just find it very boring, with lots of bugs. The setting and story is very interesting, but I never really find it fun to play. I never feel the need to go back playing it. It's a good game in a lots of ways, but they forgot about the gameplay.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Chance to play in the Caribbean as pirates? The only thing that excites my 8 year old inner child more than that is playing as Ninja!

AVahne

AVahne said:

Early reveal for the Wii U version? Hopefully since this isn't a launch title it'll have more attention put into it and not be just some port.

MrSazperilla

MrSazperilla said:

I love what the did in AC3 with the ship warfare I am exited for this one! I also hope they try to add some more gamepad controls but as long as it runs just as good as the other versions and supports off TV play I'm good.

pntjr

pntjr said:

Yeah this is becoming COD. However, the people that make COD just copy and paste the scripts and call it a new game. Assassin's Creed is (mostly) different every game, but I don't like this new-game-every-year thing.

ASonic3582

ASonic3582 said:

As long as we get it and its dlc at the same time as the other consoles this time, I really don't care if it becomes COD.

Knux

Knux said:

Since it seems like the PS3 version is going to have exclusive content (and trophies), I'll get that version instead. Kind of a shame because I might have taken the plunge on the Wii U version if that wasn't the case concerning the former.

WHMIII

WHMIII said:

I've never really gotten into the Assassin's Creed Franchise, with the exception of about an hour of AC3, this being said, I would totally pre-order this game. Assassin's Creed and Pirates, on Wii U?! Crazy. I hope it will be beautiful.

Neram

Neram said:

The third game just came out about three or four months ago, and they've already announced the fourth game? I hate to sound trollish but that looks a little bit like milking to me.

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

As a proud member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (it's a real religion, look it up) I will probably buy this game because, CLEARLY, the pirate theme was meant to attract the Pastafarian demographic.

Meaty-cheeky

Meaty-cheeky said:

When will big game companies learn that when you milk franchise games so much consumers are going to lose interest in there games. For example look at what happened to Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero and Rock Band, each one milked to death. What these game companies need to do is invest in more new original games and put more time in there more profitable franchisees.

GoombaSlayer

GoombaSlayer said:

@Neram There has not been a year since the original without at least one or more Assassins Creed-games. The milking is not new, it has always been.

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

I gotta give props to Ubisoft for sticking with the Wii U.

WIth that said, I really disliked AC3 (I'd even go so far as to say I hated it). It was a bloated, glitchy, poorly-designed mess. Hopefully Ubi do a better job with this one.

Plutonian

Plutonian said:

I'm reading Treasure Island now, so I'm more excited than I otherwise would be about the game and its putative theme.

GuyMan

GuyMan said:

@Neram & everybody else complaining about "milking": As long as the series remains high quality & Ubisoft keeps bringing well received mature content to the Wii U, then there's nothing wrong with it. With the 3rd party support of the Wii U, ya'll should be happy that Ubisoft is bringing the Assassin's Creed games to Wii U.