Pikmin 3 and Animal Crossing: New Leaf Drop Into Q2 2013

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Localisation and development to blame

During today's Nintendo Direct broadcasts in North America and Europe, Nintendo showed fairly brief glimpses of Pikmin 3 and Animal Crossing: New Leaf, with the Wii U title getting a little longer to flex its HD muscles. There was disappointing news, however, as Nintendo of Europe boss Satoru Shibata confirmed both titles for release in Q2 2013.

In the case of Pikmin 3, that means that it's now fallen out of the already lengthy Wii U launch window, with the reasoning given that it's still under development in order to provide the best results. With Animal Crossing: New Leaf it's all about localisation, with an undoubtedly vast volume of text requiring translation for the West. In both cases, the wait has just become a little longer.

Both Wii U and 3DS can point to a number of other titles due in early 2013, but the pushing back of such highly anticipated releases is sure to frustrate some Nintendo fans. What are your thoughts? Are you ready to be patient to have better games, or are you frustrated and wishing they'd arrive sooner?

Related Games

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I knew Pikmin 3 looked awfully early in development at E3. So it slipping into Q2 isn't a big surprise. :D

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

I dont mind waiting as long as they deliver the best quality gameplay…because if they rush then we'll get problems with either controls or framerate issues like the other games had. I can't wait for Rayman Legends its going to be insane!

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

All things considering we might've been waiting a lot longer for Animal Crossing, hopefully the localised versions will arrive around the same time in both American and European territories.

They certainly shouldn't rush things, they gotta get it all right.

Also absolutely looking forwards to Pikmin 3, I wonder when we'll learn why Olimar isn't present in this adventure.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

All disappointment aside, I'm actually okay with P3 being pushed back. For one, it will turn out for the best, and two, it means I won't be overwhelmed financially since I still don't have the Wii U system plus NSMBU. Also now that FE: A has been announced for release in early Feb, that's on my radar too.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

Disappointed but unlike some people I've seen online, I understand why it can take longer than anticipated, even it Pikmin 3 has been the U game I'm most looking forward to. I forgive Nintendo as long as they give us other games to tide us over, and Fire Emblem is a great start. I really hope they give us a demo though, that'd be a great treat, I wanna try the demo they've had playable (like at E3) just as a small taste.

AddADashOfSalt

AddADashOfSalt said:

I'm fine if they take they're time, what, with FEA, LMDM, ACNL, Pikmin 3, Game and Wario, and whoo knows what else they're working on right now...

Dezsi

Dezsi said:

I will wait. Especially since that I will be buying a Wii U specifically for Pikmin 3.

Then again, it would be nice if there were a whole lot of quality titles available as soon as possible, so that people buy Nintendo stuff.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

At least it sounds like NoE mentioned Animal Crossing. I'd be fine with it releasing later (disappointed, but fine), if I knew when later was. I'm excited for Pikmin 3 too, of course, but if I can only spare enough money to get one of them at launch, it will end up being Animal Crossing.

Nintonic

Nintonic said:

Man as far as I'm considered animal crossing may come out late in Q2, I hope I can experience the game soon. I wish they didn't tell me it was coming out a while back ago :/

Void

Void said:

Thats fine, it will give me more time to play Fire Emblem: Awakening, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, and Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate.

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

I can wait, but the bummer is that these two games are the ones I wanted the most.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I'll join the common consenus and state that Nintendo should take it's time making Pikmin 3 to make sure it can be as good as possible. It worked with Kid Icarus Uprising, but it seems like they're taking even longer with Pikmin 3, since Q2 means it'll be out in the summer. That might be good for money as well, since summer is a laid-back time for buying games and there aren't a bunch of them to eat up the wallet.

I'm not a big Pikmin fan, anyway, so I'll easily be patient and play Wii U games like Game & Wario before it comes, since that will be in the spring.

mikeyman64

mikeyman64 said:

Pikmin 3 looked very nice at the Wii U pre-release expo. The controls were sharp and it played very smoothly, like it's predecessors.
However, there's only room for improvement in my eyes. This game will be the primary reason I buy a Wii U, so I don't mind waiting for excellence.

Don't let us down Nintendo!

Nibelilt

Nibelilt said:

A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is forever bad. :) Take your time, Nintendo.

ArcanaXVI

ArcanaXVI said:

Nintendo decided to take their time on Skyward Sword, and look how great that was! Be my guest, Nintendo--if it takes time to make the games great, then take as much as you need.

astroshamu

astroshamu said:

Just watched the North America one and I didn't see anything about animal crossing might of missed it did they say a release date for North America?

Emaan

Emaan said:

Oh dear Animal Crossing, how much Reggie forsakes you. :O

Summer 2013 works out decent for me if that's when it will come out, as I play Animal Crossing the most during the summer months anyways.

astroshamu

astroshamu said:

Release date for summer would be perfect until then ill work on getting a rainbow feather

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

I just want Nintendo to release an Australian edition of Animal Crossing where the in-game seasons reflect that of our side of the world. Surely it couldn't be that hard to execute? =/

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

It feels like Animal Crossing's been in development forever (although, thankfully, we're finally at the localization stage). Wasn't it first revealed all the way back in 2010?

Kaine_Morrison

Kaine_Morrison said:

So, Animal Crossing is now coming out in the Summer?
Damn it. I need a new not boring game to play.
NSMB2 was boring as heck.
All I have is Resident Evil Revelaitons.
I got rid of all my other games.

Mowzle

Mowzle said:

When does Q2 end?
Just so I know how much patience to keep in reserve for my AC New Leaf wait.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

well that sucks rly why show and almost promise it to be one of the release games when it then turns out it isnt =S

Shworange

Shworange said:

Also, Japan will have already fished the Animal Crossing rivers dry by Q2! You're hogging them! Give me a turn to be annoyed by sea bass!!!

itsanandito

itsanandito said:

This was disappointing to hear but if it means Pikmin 3 will be better its worth it. Waiting for Animal Crossing is making me crazy!

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

This Animal Crossing bs is really starting to bug me. It's straight up out in Japan and has been for almost a month and yet the rest of the world has to wait till like June or July? Why? Yes, there's text to translate and lots of it, but a team should have been on this months and months ago.

Shiromikio

Shiromikio said:

Part of me suspects they're holding back AC so they can have a major title to boost sales in the summer. If they're going to postpone release, I would've preferred they didn't bring out teasers every time to remind people of the wait, especially when it's already released in one region. It would've been nicer to remind people only when there's new information, e.g. with a release date.

Nevertheless, if they're going to make people wait, then wait it will be. Better late than never, I guess. If they really do need the extra time, e.g. for localisation, then they're welcome to it.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

No hurry... Can't wait to have these games in the HDD I plan to buy after Christmas. 2TB for $120 w/ tax about for a Toshiba Plug and Play at best buy. It might even go on sale after the holidays...

DF2506

DF2506 said:

I just wish NoA would tell us the release date for Animal Crossing: New Leaf already!!! Its been two years! The game is out in Japan. Let us know when we can expect it. sigh :(

Jinixi

Jinixi said:

For animal crossing push pack. I thought it was acceptable. After the first pushback. second. Got a little bit upset but patient. 3rd I started getting irritated but then saw it was pushed to my birthday and thought it was perfect. 4th. Now im raged. I am done waiting for this game. not even for a couple of months. I know that they'll just keep pushing it back so I don't care anymore. I'm done for AC. as much as I loved the game i'm disappointed in Nintendo now to the fullest extent.

montauker

montauker said:

Ok here is when the release date. In about 1-75 days. (really more then 1 day because we have not seen a trailer on tv. Also less then 75 because at 75 would be the last day of June.

So really in about 15-45 days. Most likely in May but maybe June.
(This is as of April 16th)