Nintendo Download: 8th November 2012 (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Pokédex, 3D surfing, cake slicing and troopers

Details of this week's European update have arrived, and they're perhaps not the night sky fireworks we'd hope for at this time of year. There's still some variety across all platforms and a long awaited app arrives, though the price may surprise some.

3DS Download Software

Pokédex 3D Pro (Nintendo, £13.49 / €14.99) — This Pro upgrade to the original app lists a number of new benefits, such as increased ability to sort and rank 'mon, augmented reality features and the handy fact that all known Pokémon are unlocked and available from the start. It could be pretty handy for wannabe trainers, but it certainly comes at a cost; its price makes it the most expensive non-retail download on the 3DS eShop. Quite a jump from £0.00, but we'll see whether it's worth the investment in our upcoming review.

Rising Board 3D (Odenis Studio, £2.69 / €2.99) — An endless runner/surfer with attractive and vibrant visuals, this is a title with plenty of undeniable promise that also makes good use of that 3D slider. The downside is that the randomised levels, along with some quirks, bring the experience down a few notches. It may be worth a dip at its low price point, but if you're unsure you can always check out our Rising Board 3D review.

3DS DLC

New Art Academy (Nintendo, new lessons £1.79 / €1.99 each)

• Fur & Feathers
  • Paint like Monet

3DS eShop Discount

Marvel Pinball 3D (Zen Studios, £4.49 / €4.99 for one week) — Reduced from £6.29 / €6.99, this is a rather good pinball title that throws in some super-hero themes, making these virtual tables a bit more eventful that the real thing. It's another top-notch effort from Zen Studios, though if you want a more detailed recommendation you can read our Marvel Pinball 3D review.

DSiWare

Cake Ninja 2 (Cypronia, 500 Points) — This cake slashing sequel has arrived, promising a number of extra modes to improve on the disappointing experience of the first entry, though more hasn't necessarily made it better. Check out our Cake Ninja 2 review for details on why we still didn't find this cake appetising.

Wii Virtual Console

Shock Troopers (D4 Enterprise, 900 Points) — Arriving just one week after it hit North America, we have another Neo Geo title to add to the growing list. This one's all about about running and gunning, and then gunning some more until everything explodes in some delightful orange pixels. Not exactly an experience full of depth or variety, but it still earned a solid recommendation in our Shock Troopers review.

So there you have it, a mix of titles with one high profile app hogging the headlines and your eShop funds. Let us know where you'll be spending your virtual money, if at all, in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (128 votes)

Pokédex 3D Pro (3DS eShop)

23%

Rising Board 3D (3DS eShop)

New Art Academy DLC (in-game purchase)

Marvel Pinball 3D (3DS eShop discount)

Cake Ninja 2 (DSiWare)

Shock Troopers (Wii Virtual Console)

Nothing for me this week

52%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

be sure to get Marvel Pinball if you havent got it yet. Excellent game and excellent value for money at this price point.

Cipher

Cipher said:

Pokédex 3D Pro for me. I don't care if the same information is available for free on the internet - I would much rather use a specially-designed app.

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

Shock Troopers is a pretty good game, but i already have it on the SNK Classics (vol 1) Wii disc. Already got Zen Pinball so not planning to get Marvel Pinball as well - good discount though.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I'd rather have King of Fighters '96 and Last Blade 2 than Shock Troopers. But I suppose some people may be tired of NeoGeo fighters already. But hey, if it weren't for D4 Enterprise supporting the Virtual Console, we wouldn't be getting any games these days.

I finally got around to downloaded Sonic & Knuckles and SNES Mystical Ninja at the weekend so I've been enjoying them.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

If Pokedex 3D Pro was an reasonable price (£5 max), I may have got it. But for £13.50?!? No thank you...

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

@Mk_II
Totally agree. Great price on pinball for less than 1.25 a table (I don't know how to get the Pound or Euro sign on my keyboard). Really good value.

Curious to see the Pokedex review, and if its worth the price even though I'm a sucker and will probably get it anyways. Paper Mario is downloadable in the States starting on the 11th. Mix in the Wii U launch on the 18th and damn, its gonna be an expensive gaming month.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

Yikes, Pokédex 3D Pro is too expensive like I had feared.
I'll wait for it to go on discount...

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

No eshop vc love. What the h*** are they doing? There are zrillions of good gb/gbc/nes/gba games! Bring'em to us.

And more retail games would be nice too, not to mention the fact that there should be ds games too.

I hope these all come soon.

I almost forgot. Don't let them flood the eshop with crappy games like in wiiware and dsiware.

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

Only one that would interest me is Shock Troopers, but as mentioned above, its on the SNK Classics (vol 1) disc, including Classic Controller support and a 60Hz display mode.

Kyoto

Kyoto said:

Wow, €15,- for a simple pokédex-app in which you can find the same information as on special pokémon-sites such as Serebii or Bulbapedia. No, thanks. Though it was going te be around €5,- so this is absurd.

Windy

Windy said:

Marvel Pinball is pretty sweet. Hope you guys get Nightsky and Cave story soon. so rediculous to hold those back

Phle

Phle said:

Getting Pokédex 3D Pro and New Art Academy DLC. Think that's all for me this week. Really been looking forward to Pokédex 3D Pro, so I'm glad I'll be able to get it soon (^_^)

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

While it's certainly impressive that the Pokedex 3D Pro app will contain over 700 (mostly) unique animated 3D models (which will undoubtably be recycled for the first batch of Pokemon games for the 3DS), it just doesn't seem worth the expense for what it offers. It costs a whopping $19.50 in Australia. o.O

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

For some reason I was expecting Pokedex to be free like its predecessor to encourage sales of Black/White 2.

However, £13.49 resulted in a sharp intake of breath!

Omega

Omega said:

I might buy Shock Troopers some time. (After I've bought the other 103 WiiWare and Virtual Console games I want.)

Tate24

Tate24 said:

Nintendo know that they can slap any price on a pokemon game or app and fans will buy it even if isnt worth it. But thats fans for yea more money than sense lol :-)

PixelatedPixie

PixelatedPixie said:

Those who haven't already picked up Marvel Pinball have a worthwhile release this week. For me though this is a pretty dissappointing week.

cheapogamer4life

cheapogamer4life said:

Totally with you guys on Marvel Pinball. %1000 percent recommended .

Should the US expect a discount on a game this week or is that just a random price cut?

Xilef

Xilef said:

Will get Pokedex 3D Pro sometime, but not right now. Need all the money for the Wii U.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I love the discounts they've been giving us every week. But I dunno about Marvel Pinball, the demo didn't really wow me, maybe I'll give it another go before the release of the discount to see if I'll buy it.

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

I'll get Pokedex 3D Pro later if it gets a possible discount. For now I'll get Shock Troopers & Marvel Pinball.

SirSmugleaf

SirSmugleaf said:

Too bad Rising Board 3D isn't that good, because I was looking forward to it...

But these discounts of games is great!

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

Where is Cave Story+? Nicalis definitely confirmed it for Q4, now what? this is getting ridiculous, either we are all getting the great 3DSware in december or they're just afraid to lose money on our region.... thank the australian government for not having the ratings thing sorted out and the costs of localizing lowered.
Meanwhile, we're meant to be getting Aeroporter from level 5 this month and then Crimson shroud next month, but it seems only level 5 has managed to spread out their releases, unlike Nintendo and Nicalis, whom we are still waiting on The Denpamen: They came by Wave, Cave Story+ and NightSky.

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

Starting to like these sales each week. That is the step in the right direction nintendo. On the other hand I would have liked to get Pokedex pro until I saw the price.....

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

@RupeeClock um... we already knew what the price of it was going to be, and nintendo digital content never drops in price. maybe a limited time few dollars off, but thats it

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Nothing for me this week. Even if I was interested in Pokedex 3D pro, I wouldn't get it at that ridiculous price! Even if it was half that price, it might seem a bit much when all that information is available for free on the internet.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Marvel Pinball for me probably. Been enjoying these cut price downloads they've offered over the last couple of weeks....Speedthru: Potzl's Puzzle and Art Of Balance are awesome.

On a side note...£13.50 for a glorified version of an existing free Pokemon app? Really Nintendo?