Nintendo Download: 22nd November 2012 (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Flying, dressing up, fighting spirits and more

There was a certain big release over in North America at the weekend, but fear not Europeans! You get to find out what downloads are coming first, so that's one-up right there. We have a 3DS launch title flying in as a retail download, as well as offerings on every platform; you can check out the details below.

3DS Download Software

PIX3D (Gamelion Studios, £3.59 / €3.99) — This latest downloadable title from Gamelion Studios is a puzzler that challenges you to "navigate through the pixels" to find hidden pictures. It promises over 1000 puzzles within three game modes — which seem to revolve around score chasing or beating the clock — along with pixel graphics and retro 8-bit style music. Sounds promising, though we'll put ourselves to the test and bring you a review soon.

Dress to Play: Cute Witches! (EnjoyUp Games, £3.59 / €3.99) — This title attempts to blend dress-up fun with side-scrolling shooter 'lite' sections, all in a cute package for children. The flying sections are fun and attractive, though with control quirks and some frame drops, while the dress-up part is lacking in customisation and depth. It doesn't master either of its styles, and you can get more details in our Dress to Play: Cute Witches! review.

3DS Retail Download

Pilotwings Resort (Nintendo, £39.99 / €44.99) — Nintendo continues to brings its back-catalogue of first-party retail games to the eShop, with this launch title the next to join in. This long awaited follow up to the SNES and Nintendo 64 titles delivers impressive 3D effects and charming fun around Wuhu Island. Some may feel it's a little light on content for a full retail game, but that didn't stop it getting a strong recommendation in our Pilotwings Resort review.

3DS DLC

New Art Academy (Nintendo, lessons £1.79 / €1.99 each) — Two new lessons are available for download:

• Drawing Birds
  • Illumination

DSiWare

Spirit Hunters Inc. Shadow/Light (Nnooo, 800 Points) — This AR-based RPG has been in the works for a while at Nnooo, promising plenty of levelling up and depth for its most dedicated players. There'll be two flavours of the title available — think Pokémon — which will each have unique spirits that can be traded with friends through a Challenge system. We've had plenty of time with both already, so you'll be able to read our review very soon.

Wii Virtual Console

The King of Fighters '96 (D4 Enterprise, 900 Points) — It's Neo-Geo, it's a fighting game. One complaint that can't be levelled at the Wii Shop is a lack of top-notch Neo-Geo releases, and this adds to the impressive list. When released it was a step forward for the series, and still has merit today for fans of the genre and the famous old system. If you want to know more check out our The King of Fighters '96 review.

That's your lot this week, with some decent variety to test your wallet. Let us know if you'll be buying any of these downloads via the poll and comments section below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (90 votes)

PIX3D (3DS eShop)

Dress to Play: Cute Witches! (3DS eShop)

Pilotwings Resort (3DS retail download)

New Art Academy lessons (3DS DLC)

Spirit Hunters Inc. Shadow/Light (DSiWare)

The King of Fighters '96 (Wii Virtual Console)

10%

Nothing for me this week

61%

Please login to vote in this poll.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

pilot wings resort for 45€ ???
are you kiddin me, nintendo?

no games for me this week. no sales either. guess this is the best time to send in my 3DS for repair...finally!

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

Nothing for me this week... yet, will wait for reviews on PIX3D and Spirit Hunters.
I really enjoyed Pilotwings, i got a used copy for about £15.00 and i was very happy with it at that price, £40.00 is way overpriced.

BenAV

BenAV said:

I have absolutely no idea about PIX3D, so at this stage I intend to download nothing this week.
Oh well... the less I spend on my 3DS this week means the more I have to spend on my Wii U next week.

akabenjy

akabenjy said:

I'm a bit disappointed there is no Cave Story+, Night Sky, Crimson Shroud, or The Denpa Men. Like BenAV I'll be saving my money for the Wii U.

Damn you Frozen you beat me to it;)

Tomires

Tomires said:

Well, I actually bought a cart of Pilotwings a few weeks back for 300 CZK, which translates to roughly £10. Can't complain 'bout that ;)

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

45€ is a rip off. I understand why they do it but it doesn't change that fact.

When the heck are going to get Cave Story +???

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

Pilotwings Resort... $40? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Yeah... no. I got this game for $5 at Best Buy, no way I would pay 8x that amount to download this.

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

Pilotwings Resort for £40?
Nintendo you bunch of jokers.

I was hoping for an Epic Mickey Demo this week,

Mahe

Mahe said:

That Pilotwings price is simply crap. The game is a ho-hum effort.

NTELLIGENTMAN

NTELLIGENTMAN said:

I paid $4.99 for a NEW copy of Pilotwings Resort at Best Buy. Nintendo is making me angry with their digital pricing.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Yeah, Pilotwings is dirt cheap second hand nowadays. I don't think retail game downloading will be a success for Ninty consoles.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm still waiting to become a Denpa man & run my own airport, weren't these games supposed to arrive in November? Guess that means they're arriving together next week, hopefully.

I'll probably also get Spirit Hunters Inc. if it reviews well.

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

@6ch6ris6 Agreed. I can go to Gamestop and get a copy of Pilotwings for $19.99 USD... Pretty weak to charge full price for that game on the eShop. It's another Nintendo head scratcher lol. That and Steel Diver should be $19.99 and they would sell great.

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

45€ for digital Pilotwings? There´s something wrong with the pricing. 15 € would be much better at this point.

Hokori

Hokori said:

@Mahe I bought PWR for $40 and it wasn't awful, I agree the price shoulda been lower, but it's far from crap

mrkuribo

mrkuribo said:

Nothing for me this week it seems. Pilotwings and all the other retail downloads are way overpriced. It's a good idea to offer these bigger games on the eShop but until the prices are reduced significantly, I don't really see a point in buying any of them. I can get the boxed versions for much less.

I might get Animal Crossing in digital form, though, because it suits that game very well. But otherwise I just keep buying the cartridges.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

Where is the Epic Mickey download option? Isn't it being released this week? I thought it would be made available on eShop...Well they still got till friday 00:00 to add it.

3DSNoobieNerd

3DSNoobieNerd said:

Pix3D: 1000 puzzles and 3 modes only for 3.99€? Interesting...
BUT STILL NO CAVE STORY?! and to be worse,North America is getting another Nicalis this week!? What the hell is going on here???

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

I see why Nintendo charge £40 for some retail downloads, as it helps stop the boxed game market from dying. However, Pilotwings came out so long ago I doubt it would have any impact at all if they charged £20 for it. 40 is ridiculous.

Squashie

Squashie said:

A nice download for me this week, I think it'll be PIX3D, Spirit Hunters Inc. and maybe Pilotwings Resort, I never got round to playing that!

Garo

Garo said:

How's Virtue's Last Reward not on that list? The e-shop says that a downloadable version becomes available this week.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

£40 is too much for Pilotwings resort but I still found it to be a very enjoyable game and I think it deserves the 8/10 that NL gave it.

Windy

Windy said:

Amazon sells Pilot Wings for 19.99 hurry when they see this they might raise the price

SirSmugleaf

SirSmugleaf said:

Nothing for me this week.

And, seriously, come on Nintendo, I'm getting impatient! Where's Nightsky, Cave Story +, The Denpa Men, Air Porter and so much more that we've been patiently waiting for?!?!?!?!!

Anyways, PIX3D looks very interesting. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the review...

Vallu

Vallu said:

Nothing interesting this week. I was hoping to spend my 80€ at eshop for something.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Pix3D looks interesting, other than that...nothing. Pilotwings Resort is grossly overpriced considering it was a 3DS launch title...most people have either already got it or can find a preowned physical copy dirt cheap now.

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

Seriously im so annoyed that the US is getting so much more support on the eShop. Lift your game Nintendo.

rayword45

rayword45 said:

Yeah, MSRP for Pilotwings? A game 1.5 years old that averages around $10 now?

Nintendo, step your freaking game up. Look at PSN, Steam, XBLA. None of them offer games that old with that much devaluation retailwise for MSRP. Look at Bionic Commando on Steam, went from $60 to $10.