Rumour: Sega Is Working On Skies of Arcadia Remake

Posted by Damien McFerran

Trademark renewal suggests the cult RPG could be getting a new set of wings

Skies of Arcadia is one of Sega's most beloved RPGs, having turned heads on both the Dreamcast and GameCube a few years ago. The GameCube version is now quite a collector's item, as it added content and generally improved on the Dreamcast original.

It would appear that Sega hasn't forgotten how popular the adventures of Vyse and company are with lifelong fans, as it has just renewed the trademark for the name.

Before we get too excited, this could simply mean that Sega is attempting to safeguard the title to prevent it being used by other companies, but we'd prefer to think that an updated version of the game is coming, possibly with HD visuals and possibly for the Wii U. This would certainly tie in with Sega's current strategy regarding its back catalogue.

Alternatively, it could mean a sequel is on the way - which is just as exciting, if not more so.

What are your thoughts? Would you like to see this classic adventure remade with sharper visuals, or are you hankering for a new instalment? Let us know your thoughts below.

[via neogaf.com]

KodaSmooss

KodaSmooss said:

I still have my GameCube copy but it is definitely a welcome addition to the digital store if the rumour is confirmed...

sykotek

sykotek said:

I'd be okay with either an HD remake or a quality made sequel!!!

... ;__;

I just had a sad realization,
if SoA is a HD remake, Legends will be paid DLC
if SoA is a sequel, it'll be episodic DLC: Episode I, Episode II...

No longer want.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

What a great RPG, this is the best news to wake up to. I hope its not only an HD remake for Wii U, but a port to the 3DS as well.

Shworange

Shworange said:

Skies of Arcadia 2 would be awesome! I loved the GameCube version back in the day. It's battle system by today's standards would benefit greatly from an overhaul.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

I have never played this one, though I had seen it about back in the day. Judging from the comments, I may need to track this one down at some point. This will most likely be a remake considering Sega's new position in the industry for now, But a sequel would be nice if they want to risk it. I would most certainly pick it up if they did. As for Smash Bros. 4... probably not.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

sega talked about bringing their xbox, PS3 online games on the wii U eshop just recently, i just wonder whether this is going to be one of them.

but yes, skies of arcadia was amazing and a remake for the wii U would be great.

hydeks

hydeks said:

Already heard about this, but once again, excellent read! Hope it comes to PSN, or maybe, dare I say, Wii U.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Sounds like a bit of a longshot for the renewel to mean a new game is coming, but I've heard good about this series.
I've never played it before myself, and it's way overpriced to find it on ebay for GC from what I saw.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I can only hope so, the game goes for over $40 on eBay. Just update the graphics, speed up the battle system, and add some voice acting, and you're golden. Just don't mess with awesome music.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Can Sega afford to remake this game? I would love to see it however I got the salt ready!

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

I'm guessing HD rerelease on PSN/XBLA, much in the vein of Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, NiGHTS, etc.

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

Would love a HD remake. Then hope it sells millions to warrant a full sequel. I can not stress what a masterpiece this jrpg is. If a remake is in the works, every person must buy this game.

Emaan

Emaan said:

I've always wanted to play this, hopefully we get a HD remake or sequel on Wii U. :O

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Probably my best purchase I ever made at Gamestop. Found the GC version a few years ago going for 14.99 used. Still one of my favorite newer gen RPGs, right behind Legend of Dragoon.

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

Eh. I played the original on the Dreamcast, but i never really could get into it. Still, this is kinda cool for people who did like the original.

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

Seeing as how you guys are the one saying there could be a remake, it's not really a rumor. The rumor starts with you. :P

That said, it's probably not even that. I'd be willing to bet it's simply a routine updating of property trademarks.

HeroOfTime32

HeroOfTime32 said:

I loved this RPG! The environment and world in which you were in the clouds was awesome, as it appealed to the "final fantasy 'airship' " in me. Voice acting would be nice possibly, but as said earlier, the battle speed could be upped by a small amount.

I loved how it wasn't just land battles, but you also had to have ship battles as well! And this game rewards exploration!

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

I played it but I didn't really get that much excitement to it. I got a little way into it and thought I hadn't seen anything that I haven't seen in just about any other tbrpg.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

I found SoA to be rather bland tbqh. Though it's nice to see that some companies seem to still occasionally care about their fans.

bluecat

bluecat said:

Still have my Dreamcast copy, never got the GameCube one. This could be interesting!

Yanchamaru

Yanchamaru said:

Skies of Arcadia is one of my favorite games of all time. I would sell both kidneys to play a sequel

Neram

Neram said:

Well they are including a course based off the game in Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed, so maybe they're trying to build up interest again? Either that or this is simply a coincidence and Sega is trying to keep their IP close. If there were any HD re-released I'd imagine it would be on Xbox Live and PSN, probably not Wii U, as that seems to be the way of things. Would have been nice to see Sonic CD re-release on a Nintendo system.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

Please be a downloadable HD remake of Gamecube version, please!! The name we're all looking for is "Skies of Arcadia Legends HD", right? Thinking about the wii Gamepad though, and the VMU mini games from the DC version, it would be cool for them to include those on the Gamepad, maybe updated versions. Could they also include 1st-person "look" and "jump" even though you don't need it. Just feels better.

TNLGUY

TNLGUY said:

Excellent, I hope it's true. Any excuse to replay one of my favorites will do.

kdognumba1

kdognumba1 said:

This is literally one of my favorite games of all time. It really does suck that not many people got to check this one out but it getting a HD/3D port, a remake, or a flat out sequel for a larger audience will be a nice way to get a DC classic in more peoples hands.

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

Oh man! This is one of my favorite games of all time! The news of a possible remake is almost as exciting as the last time they did a remake of this game! Oh... wait.... yeah, they already did that. Damnit, Sega, hurry up and make a sequel already. But do many years ago and make it for Dreamcast because back then I was still a loyal fan of anything you did. Thanks, Sega!

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

One of the best RPGS I've ever played, right up there with Grandia. :D Took me 75 hours to play through on the Dreamcast and I enjoyed every moment of it.

I'd love a sequel but I'm pretty sure it'll just be a remake, or made available on the Nintendo E-Shop. Last I heard, it was being ported to XBLA and PSN along with Shenmue and Jet Set Radio. :)

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I knew there was one more GC game I didn't beat... runs to add to Gamefly Q

Windy

Windy said:

Hot Dog! Oh Boy! Please Please Please! Hee Hee! If they would bring the game to 3DS this would be a great thing!

Jugaimo

Jugaimo said:

I don't see why Sega wouldn't make a remake. Since they're bringing back old title, popular and unheard of, it shouldn't be too hard to expect it. I just hope they don't kill the game like they did Final Fantasy 13/13-2