Nintendo Download: 12th July 2012 (Europe)

Posted by James Newton

Sparkles and frogs

This week's Nintendo Download is a metaphorical mixed bag, with 3DS add-on content and WiiWare sitting alongside weird eShop applications. Scan the list below for the full lowdown.

3DS Download Software

Sparkle Snapshots 3D (Nintendo, £4.50/€5) — Remember Sparkle Snapshots on DSiWare? How would you like a similar experience on 3DS? Sounds good, except the app doesn't actually take 3D photos, so we're not sure of its purpose. Still, we'll have a full review soon.

3DS Add-On Content

Sparkle Snapshots 3D — £0.90/€1 each:

• Mario Core Set
  • Mario Kart 7 Set

Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy — £0.90/€1 each:

• The Archylte Steppe (FF13 — FMS)
  • Matoya's Cave (FF01 — FMS)
  • Battle 1 (FF03 — BMS)
  • The Final Battle (FF05 — BMS)

WiiWare

Frogger: Hyper Arcade Edition (Konami, 1000pts) — That poor little amphibian keeps trying to cross that busy road, except this time you can use sprites from Castlevania and Contra too. We'll see if it's a step in the right direction or best left as roadkill with our upcoming review.

DSiWare

99seconds (EnjoyUp Games, 200pts) — A quirky, classy little shooter with an intriguing premise, read our 99seconds review for more on this cheap and cheerful title.

Video Download

The Incredible Barbazan: The Cabinet of Fear (£1.35, episode 1 of 6)

That's all for this week, folks. What are you buying? Let us know on our Facebook poll.

Ducutzu

Ducutzu said:

It's been one minute since the article was posted... Where are the "nothing for me" comments today??

JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser said:

@Ducutzu This isn't the Nintendo Download for America.
I'm still not happy about DLC though.
I swear people just want DLC because it's DLC.

RR529

RR529 said:

Sparkle Snapshots has DLC, and Nintendo themed DLC at that. It doesn't sound like a Nintendo title, so can someone clarify this for me, lol?

RR529

RR529 said:

TwilightPoint said: "I'm still not happy about DLC though.
If they're releasing it already that means it was already ready to be put in the game."

Or, the DLC content, is content that would have normally been cut from the final release (every game has ideas that are cut prior to release), and DLC lets them offer such content, which wouldn't fit otherwise.

Although, I kind of agree that it's odd for a downloadable title, where they don't have to worry about limited disc/cart space.

JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser said:

@RR529 That is possible.
I just don't like DLC for some reason. I think it's because of the IOS in-app-purchase mentality though.
I'm warming up to it now that I'm seeing Bethesda doing it right.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Plus some companies create content just so they have something to sell as DLC that they wouldn't have put into the game otherwise.

Omega

Omega said:

Frogger for WiiWare could interest me. Since Castlevania, Contra and Gradius Rebirth are all pretty good I hope this one's too.

James

James said:

@3dbrains That's all the info I have atm but my guess would be Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario-related stamps, graphics and sounds.

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

@James

Oh I see, I didn't realise they are sets for the snapshots thing. I thought they were new tracks and addon content for mario kart 7. shame.

CommanderAudio

CommanderAudio said:

But how will we be able to navigate ourselves away from Topoloco if we don't know how to navigate because we didn't learn how to navigate with Topoloco?

Fabian

Fabian said:

99Seconds has a briliant soundtrack I just going to buy this Game because of the sound xD And maybe I´ll get Frogger if it scores 7 or higher.

Cipher

Cipher said:

Regarding the question of why the Sparkle Snapshots 3D add-on content is available at launch: this title launched in Japan in December 2011 and add-on content distribution started in February. We're just playing catch-up.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

I think I'll either get something that's out already or wait for a future Nintendo Download. :)

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

I can't imagine what the desire for Sparkle Snapshots 3D is, when it's just a camera with effects that can't even take photos in 3D.

If we can get Gameboy Camera on 3DS Virtual Console that will be amazing though.

MrArcade

MrArcade said:

Its difficult, but im holding back from buying any games until i get my 3DS XL. NSMB2 will be my first download on it! My 32GB class 10 SD card gives me about 245000 blocks!

Mr_DSi

Mr_DSi said:

@Topoloco (Abstraction Games, 500pts) — A game about maps! Except it's not really a game and the maps aren't that good. Read our Topoloco review then navigate your way as far from this game as possible." This made me crack up!

Bobhobob

Bobhobob said:

LUCKY!
I WANT 3D SHOVELWRE WITH DLC ON MY NA ESHOP!
Oh wait, the photos aren't 3D...
WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Just so you know, Nintendo Power "recommends" Frogger: Hyper Arcade Edition in their rare advance review.

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

I think Sparkle Snapshots 3D will just be a rip-off since photos won't display in 3D :/

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

Wow Frogger: Hyper Arcade Edition is 300 points MORE in Europe than North America. What a shame... :(

@Philip_J_Reed God Bless America! We get two classic games Europe doesn't have yet. Looking forward to both, including The Sword of Hope II! :)

MrWezzle

MrWezzle said:

Yeah, I feel your pain this week, Europe. I'm sure you'll feel the effects of 8-Bit Summer eventually. :(

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

I'm really looking forward to seeing if Topoloco is released in Australia. :P

EDIT: It wasn't...

GamecubeMan

GamecubeMan said:

im gonna wait for some new courses i have no idea if this is it though because it in Europe i dont live there

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

Nothing good as usual, what use is a photo-taking app if it doesn't capture pictures in 3D? I mean it's called Sparkle Snapshots 3D of all things, you have to assume it does otherwise that's money spent on something you could have traded off for something like Mutant Mudds.

DeMoN-13ruce

DeMoN-13ruce said:

lol dlc already for theaterysM? wow square if you do this for kingdom hearts 3d i will kill you !

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

@DeMoN-13ruce
I have no problem with there being dlc for the game because the game was released in Japan in February so they had plenty of time to make dlc. My only grip is that the dlc is a bit too expensive.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

Stay clear of The Incredible Barbazan: The Cabinet of Fear, it's a pretty poor, lifeless and predictable animation.

The premise of a bumbling magician who does his trick wrong is okay, the execution is dire. It's not an episode I can spoil because there is no creative outcome, he simply repeats his first failure.
There literally is no magic in the short, and entirely too long of a setup for the most predictable outcome.