New Super Mario Bros. 2 Official Website Reveals Complex Plot

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Kidding, but 'world coin total' will use SpotPass

As it's a Friday, and because we've just learnt about it through the wonders of the internet, we've checked out the official New Super Mario Bros. 2 website and discovered a couple of interesting details. First up, here's a summary of the complexities that the plot will offer in Mario's newest adventure.

Trouble always seems to find its way to the Mushroom Kingdom! Just as Mario™ and Luigi™ go off on a coin hunt in the sky, their beloved Princess Peach™ is kidnapped by the dastardly Koopalings. The brothers have to venture through over 80 stages to rescue her, grabbing an endless deluge of coins across land, water, air, and snow along the way.

Our questions about why Mario suddenly has coin lust, in our Wario is Missing feature, seem all the more important, as Mario's coin hunt distracted him enough for Peach to be kidnapped... again. The second detail is that SpotPass, when enabled, will be used to keep a tally of the worldwide coin total, which could get rather large indeed. We already know that 'something special' will happen if you reach one million coins in your own game, but it'll be interesting if, say, one billion coins worldwide prompts anything to happen in the game. Time will tell.

[via newsupermariobros2.nintendo.com]

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

A wordwide count of all coins collected from all players? Now that's going to be a bank-busting total.

I see that there's joke article titles again. You sure like to tease, huh? Even though that part about Mario and Luigi going for a coin hunt sounds odd. Mario must be itching to match Wario's treasure and Luigi's cash that he got in Luigi's Mansion with his own coin-catching.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@iphys That's straight from the site, so I guess so. I don't fully understand trademark law, but the names may be trademarked in a video game context only? Either that or it's a mistake on the official site.

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

For the completionist gamer in us all. I'm happy to have a new coin obsession in this game it's a great concept I wonder what inspired it exactly. I'm sure years down the road NL will put out an article stating "Miyamoto originally penned Wario to star in NSMB2".

Millenia

Millenia said:

Hahaha I so bought into that title! Anyway, in my opinion I think the coin collecting is kind of bizarre. The NSMB games just don't do it for me, I guess because I grew up playing Super Mario World. There's no comparison.

GameCube

GameCube said:

@TheHermit "Miyamoto originally penned Wario to star in NSMB2".

It would be cool if Wario as an unlockable playable character was the prize for collecting the million coins. The ultimate troll.

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

@Thomas that's a good article. I've always liked Wario and I'm glad he's in the gang games all the time. Would be nice to see a new Wario platformer. But you know I've wasted a lot of time playing the Mario clock just running into coins so this will be the ultimate upgrade of that amusement

TanookiSteven

TanookiSteven said:

The first thing I thought when I saw the plot was when Mario & Luigi needed to go find coins to help some shelter in the SMBSS. .-.

Bobhobob

Bobhobob said:

Hey, I looked at the official site, and in the power ups section there is a Gold Mushroom.
EXPLAIN.

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

@GameCube - The ultimate troll would be players expecting to be Wario...only to have Waluigi show up and spoil things.

Then the lower screen will permanently display a troll-face Miyamoto :P

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@Kage_88 Problem?

My guess is the coin hunt is due to the Mushroom Kingdom being in some kind of deficit. Also, didn't BeanBean Kingdom currency have a much higher value than the Mushroom Kingdom's coins? If that's the case the coin collection spree doesn't seem too surprising.

That being said, that's probably reading too much into the game's plot.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I had a feeling they wouldn't explain the coin hunting aspect of the game. It seems like they just through in the coin hunting to make it seem like a less lazy game.

EvansLegends

EvansLegends said:

This doesn't surprise or disappoint me too much, because platformers aren't really story-driven games; we're in it more for the action. Nintendo should save more complex plots for more story-driven games like RPGs. It'd be better if they changed up gameplay mechanics like in Kirby games.

That said, I'd be fairly disappointed if Paper Mario Sticker Star was little more than, "Peach gets kidnapped by Bowser, again."

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

This game is now essentially a virtual metaphor for Nintendo's profit margins.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

...And yet, I still don't know why the Mushroom Kingdom is full of coins regardless of Mario going on a coin hunt...

Hokori

Hokori said:

Instead of collection a million coins, we should see who can go through the entire game with the least amount of coins

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

Hey, Vegeta!
What's your worldwide coin total in New Super Mario Bros. 2?

...

Ii's over nineTHOUUUUUUUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Couldn't help myself)

noxusprime06

noxusprime06 said:

since there making this game in retails and downloadable it says that they can. i think it would be exciting if they made every new game like this and if they made previously released 3ds games downloadable. and if you already own it then you can download it for free. i think nintendo should definitly do something like that

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I can't imagine that a billion coins worldwide would do anything since it would only mean the equivalent of 1,000 people "completing" their games. Maybe 100 Billion something interesting happens? But in any case the spotpass feature sounds very interesting & the more I hear about this game the more I want it :D

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

Since it's going to be extremely easy to get lives because coins are everywhere, I would expect this game to be difficult. It makes the game more fun when you have a shortage of lives because it adds a challenge. I finished SM3DL with almost 400 lives, and it was one of my least favorite Mario games.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

That still does not explain where the golden flower and those "50" value coins have been all these years. Maybe there are parts of the Mushroom Kingdom still unexplored.

80 stages total is an average of ten stages per world. I hope there is a second, harder, quest at the "end", similar to 3D Land. Even if there are no new stages, having new challenges can be really fun. Just imagine a Shadow Mega Mushroom Mario chasing you!

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

This plot has officially murdered me. I can't even begin to comprehend how deep it will be.

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

You know... it's not hard to get a license to carry a tazer. Nor are they really all that expensive, though that's probably not a major factor for royalty, anyway. Why is Peach not armed at this point? I mean, a pistol is pretty easy to get a hold of. I would totally play a game where the unarmed plumber bros get 'napped and Peach goes on a rampage capping koopas in the face.

New Super Gangsta Princess... Bros.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

If I get this game.... download only. I am a Sonic Fan to the core, and only the Genesis Sonic Platformers feel completely natural to me.

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

Having a reward that the world can enjoy together (unlocked on everyone's game carts) if the world hits a certain total is an incredible idea. I wonder if the media has some inside info on this detail for which they had to sign some NDAs to protect against public disclosure? Maybe?

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Maybe the goal for having a world-wide account is to achieve 1 trillion coins?

One neat plot twist that they could do (but won't do) is to play through the game assuming Bowser is the villain again, reach his castle to fight him, and then after beating him Wario suddenly appears to reveal that he masterminded the coin extravaganza and hypnotized Bowser to order his Koopalings to kidnap Peach. Then Mario would have to fight the true final battle and emerge victorious. Thinking up plots like that for fun is nice for a game with such a simple story otherwise.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Imagine Nintendo stating: "If Worldwide count adds up to 10 billion, something greater will happen"

I'd hope that means classic levels from the past Mario games. Even Super Mario Bros. 2 :D

Supereor

Supereor said:

Hey, people, look at these puns I found on the New Super Mario Bros. 2 site:
"But what makes it the gold standard in platforming fun is the true WEALTH of new brand features and gameplay elements."

Contrary

Contrary said:

Worldwide coin count just got me interested in this game! But I'm not 100% yet.

RQuinain

RQuinain said:

Couldn't people hack the game and screw up coin totals?

...Is hacking even a thing anymore? Lol. I'm sure it is, but I haven't seen an Action Replay or Gameshark for 3DS yet.