Mario Explores New Environments in Latest Trailer

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Or should we say, 'New'

The hype train seems to have truly left the station in the case of New Super Mario Bros. 2, hitting 3DS in just under a month's time. Late last week we brought you the latest trailer featuring Gold Boo and more, and as it's Monday we thought a bit more Mario may make the start of the week feel a bit better.

This shorter trailer, which appears to have been exclusive to IGN, shows off a few different environments that are to be found. In many ways it's more of the usual: Mushroom Kingdom, jungle, snow, fire and dungeons. As we've mentioned before, it looks to be playing it relatively safe and carrying on where the DS and Wii titles left off, albeit with an insane amount of coins to collect.

Then again, is that a bad thing?

[via uk.ign.com]

Smitherenez

Smitherenez said:

The level shown at 0:09 makes me think of a Sonic stage. Can't remember the name of that 'act' tough.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Looks great! Only source of disappointment is that I hear nothing but recycled music from DS & Wii. Would some new music have been so hard? Not helping their case with those who criticize it for lacking originality when whey're apparently not even remixing these tracks from NSMB & NSMBWii. That's the one thing so far that strikes me as half, um, flanked.

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

Was that a Dry Pirahna Plant at 0:50!? That beats the Golden Boo.

Also, I'm very easily impressed!

kdognumba1

kdognumba1 said:

I really wasn't too excited about NSMB2 but after watching this, I think I'm gonna go check it out.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

I'm getting this game, but I'm going to get it via download. :) I can't wait to have Mario with me EVERYWHERE. Except for Super Mario Land, Super Mario Bros., and Mario v. Donkey Kong.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

The game looks fun enough, and I've noticed I've been half defending it lately from haters but that recycled music really is a huge turn off.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

I will get it but it's a little disappointing how much it looks and sounds like the original NSMB. It's not a terrible thing but NSMBU looks so much better.

espinozac7

espinozac7 said:

the game should have at least 10 worlds. Some worlds should be new, like a savannah, or a prairie, or a world with levels mixed from other worlds.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@gamermii There's supposed to be DLC (coin-rush levels) on the way in the future, so yes it is. I also can't remember whether the coin-rush mode will have some kind of high score leaderboard system, so don't hold me to that!

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Most of those aren't exactly "new" environments, mainly just the same backgrounds from NSMBW. Mario will explore new environments in NSMBU.

It's disappointing that not only are they reusing NSMBW's music, but besides the higher-pitched "las" in the main theme, they didn't even remix those music tracks. However, the gameplay itself with the coin collecting still looks fun.

Emaan

Emaan said:

This trailer actually doesn't include some of the newer enviroments I've seen in this game, like the nighttime and rainbow one. However, most are just recycled from the past two games, along with the music. Its a little disappointing, but I think the coin theme sets it apart enough for me to want it.

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

You haters can hate. I'm gonna enjoy the schitzel out of this game!

The only thing that makes me sad is that these new trailers aren't on eShop. That's the only way I can see them (broken PC). :(

Wilford111

Wilford111 said:

Wow, this is the first trailer I've seen without the emphasis on COINSCOINSCOINSCOINSCOINSCOINSCOINSCOINSCOINSCOINS

BeatOli

BeatOli said:

Not impressed I have to say. The reused music doesn't help with people saying it's unoriginal. The backgrounds also look very similar...I'll probably skip on this one. However, I am looking forward to NSMBU.

Mollutje

Mollutje said:

Meh.. the last trailer made me a lot more excited, this one is just very.. generic. Not sure what they wanted to convey with it either. I'm sure I'll enjoy playing this game as I had tons of fun with it's predecessors, but there'll come a point where they have to really reinvent sidescrolling mario or even I will lose interest.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

Another great Mario game as always, but they could mix the music up a little!? I'm still planning on getting this though, because even though it just looks like NSMBW with different power-ups and reskined enemies, it is still an awesome Mario game.

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

Anyone notice in the overworld theme that there are sounds that sound like " la"?

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

My only concern is how many extra lives you'll accumulate. I already have 300+ on all my other NSMB games, and what with there being thousands of coins in each level, the game might be too easy with the hundreds of lives you collect.

edcomics

edcomics said:

I thought the headline said "new environments." I liked NSMBW, but this just looks like a slight variant of that game. The music is identical. The game looks nearly identical. Sure, it's a handheld, but... sigh, I don't know. I was hoping for something a little more different. A little more "New" perhaps.

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

"Old" Super Mario Bros. :( I mean, I'm going to get this game anyway and it does look pretty fun, but seriously Nintendo? Were you really so lazy that you just copy and pasted the exact same music and environments and put a different name on the box? I remember the day when each new Mario game was a step forward for the franchise and was a different and fresh experience.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

And people kept telling me that this is simply placeholder music....yeah, no...just admit it they want to reuse the same music over and over again.

SageofShadow

SageofShadow said:

Woooow, those levels look refreshingly new (sarcasm).
Seriously, I'm getting surprised at how Nintendo can keep making money using the same old formula over and over again.
I'm think these 'New' Mario Bros. games are wearing me out by now.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

The previous trailer was a ton better. This one is just showing normal gameplay, so barely a new idea there. And the Dry Piranha Plant was in that trailer, or a previous one, I know I have seen it already.

TheN64Dude

TheN64Dude said:

This game is going to be AWESOOOOOOOOOOOOOME!!! My only dissapointment is that they just rehashed the same worlds from New Super Mario Bros 1. This is suppose to be a SEQUEL!

Neram

Neram said:

They could have at least changed up the music. Obviously I'll still be getting the game regardless of it being extremely similar to the last 2 NSMB games, but still some changes aside from power ups and level design would be nice if this and the Wii U game are going to be the 2D Mario games to last for the next generation. (Although I'd easily bet on more)

Dodger

Dodger said:

More of the same isn't a problem when it isn't more of the same. There are huge differences between SMB 1, Lost Levels, SMB 2, SMB 3, Super Mario World, Super Paper Mario and Super Mario 3D Land. They all have things in common, but they aren't exactly more of the same. NSMB 1, NSMB Wii, NSMB 2 and NSMB U all look the same, sound the same, feel the same and play the same. They have the art style, the same worlds and the same basic level themes.

You can nitpick about minor differences but they have so much in common that if you have played one game, you can play the other with no problems or surprises at all. 2 games, fine. Sequels exist. 3 games, maybe but 4 games with two out in the same year is a bit much. I might pick it up if the price gets low enough (which it won't) but there are too many other 2D platformers that are better then any game in the NSMB series to get.

Serious deja vu looking at that castle level. I'm sure I've played that exact same level in NSMB Wii.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

@Blizzaga: Bummer man. I don't know what I'd do without my computer. Also, is it just me, or doesn't anyone else question why Nintendo doesn't just release friggin' demos instead of videos?

OptometristLime

OptometristLime said:

Obviously I'll be getting (insert Mario title here) but (fundamental flaw I choose to ignore).

Vote with your wallets people! :P

gundam00

gundam00 said:

I'll be getting this. I love everything Mario! (Except the ones that use a Mario skin to create sales - I'm looking at you Dr. Mario!).

I'm mad that this game will feature DLC after its release! NOT COOL Nintendo!! If you wanna make a game with DLC, then make the game centered around that and go the "Freemium" route - where the game is FREE, but with in-app purchases, as is prevalent with iPhone games. This is one of the reasons I didn't buy FF: Theatrthym, there's like a dozen additional songs you can buy for $0.99 each. If you're not careful, you could be buying the game over a second time with all the DLC.