Rumour: ViviTouch to Demo Wii U Haptics Tech at E3

Posted by James Newton

Feels good

Here's a Wii U rumour that's more towards the 'believable' end of the scale: Wii U's new controller could include haptic technology.

According to an E3 floor plan (via NeoGAF), haptics specialist ViviTouch will show a Wii U peripheral at the upcoming trade show.

ViviTouch's haptic tech is a more advanced form of physical feedback than current rumble systems: a video at the bottom explains more.

Of course this doesn't necessarily mean the Wii U controller will include haptics built in — ViviTouch could be planning an add-on for the screen — and those of you with good memories will remember one of the rumoured names for Wii U was "Nintendo Feel", which would supposedly feature haptic technology.

As ever, salt at the ready.

[via neogaf.com]

Magicpegasus

Magicpegasus said:

This would be very cool indeed. Imagine being able to feel the road in Mario Kart, or nailing the perfect drive in golf. An arrow hitting its mark in Zelda, a purring kitten in Nintendogs, etc...

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Awesome! I've always wished for more variety and realism when it came to the rumble in these controllers. This would be a fantastic addition to the Wii U controller B-)

RVN

RVN said:

but... it's not new
is it?
maybe i'm missing on something
what makes this so special?

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

It'd be awesome if the Wii U tablet incorporated such tech...

...but how much more expensive would that make it?

Kafei2006

Kafei2006 said:

Sounds like a far too expensive technology to be included in anything Nintendo-made IMHO. They're not exactly known to include expensive tech in their consoles (not anymore, anyway). Besides, can haptic feedback work in conjunction with a resistive touch screen? From last E3, considering the Wii U controller was shown bundled with a stylus much like that of the DS Lite/DSi, only longer, it seems to hint that it'll use a resistive screen yet again... since capacitive screens (more expensive tech too) can't really detect plastic styli. Then again, perhaps they changed the tech used, since last year.

AbuJaffer

AbuJaffer said:

I think it'd be more helpful with feeling your way around menus and HUD's without having to look at the screen. Instead of all the import stuff at the top and bottom (as with today's interfaces), all the buttons would be to the right and left of the screen with something like a map in the middle. A quick flick of the finger off of the analog stick/pad and you've changed grenade, class, weapon types, without having to take your eyes off the screen. In that sense, it's much better than being able to feel something on the screen, though that would be really cool.

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

Cool, but I hope this is just an add-on. I think it would get distracting after a while.

Ren

Ren said:

It's not new? Uh, what device do you have that uses this already? What the demo here fails to convey is that this is also something that can be localised into a given area of a screen almost a way to add different textures to a screen for different images that move and change. This is not neccesarily "new" per se but it's not been used in anything really widely yet and it could add a really cool dimension to the Wii U if it's indeed part of the controller. If not, then who would bother programming for a 3rd party peripheral? That's never really worked before.

BJQ1972

BJQ1972 said:

This was a big rumour or the iPad 3 as well - are lazy journalists just recycling rumours?

Magicpegasus

Magicpegasus said:

@Jamouse because it would add realism. Say there's a gravel patch, or an oil slick. You could respond naturally, just like driving a real vehicle. When I start to hydroplane on the highway, feeling the road is what keeps me from careening into other drivers. If I just had to rely on sight, probably wouldn't be around to write this.

Gamesake

Gamesake said:

Well that's fine for a driving game, but how is this nonsense going to help me in Dead or Alive?

paburrows

paburrows said:

I vaguely remember Nintendo saying something about the Wii U controller having this sort of technology built in.

Shining-Void

Shining-Void said:

While it is cool, I don't want it if it's going to significantly change the price of the wii u.

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

This sounds like a great idea to me. The fact that there will probably be just one uber-premium controller paired with my console means that I want it to be the coolest thing to use with the system. This kind of tech could really set it apart. Another thing is the whole concern with the power of the console itself. If Nintendo is going to make a console on par with what we're all used to right now, then something like this would definitely curb my disappointment. Now all we need is a Nintendo seat pad and/or shoes with built in force feedback to tell us what kind of terrain we are running or driving on. Just kidding, that would be overkill.

Azooooz

Azooooz said:

Never heard of it until I saw it on this video. It looks cool, but that would make the console even more expensive.

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

I am sceptical about this. Why would it use haptic technology if they expect you to use a stylus? Sounds fishy to me.

skywake

skywake said:

@Kafei2006 You can create stili that work with capacitive screens. They aren't standard plastic ones (I think they have a rubber tip or something) but you can buy them for your iPads and so on. Look it up.

Jamouse

Jamouse said:

@Janett
Technically it's not.
Feeling is a sense. There is no way it could possibly called a dimension. Just thought I'd mention.

SanFrisco9er

SanFrisco9er said:

Probably this might help the blind community so thats another group of casualties getting a wii u for another purpose other than gaming(I haven't seen the video just making an assumption out of these coments & the given INFO). Curse you 3DS for not having Adobe flash, not being an ambassador, not having this technology, having one circle stick, moving the stylus hole to the back(why nintendo), having a squeaky D-pad, and raising the lower screen so it could mysteriously hurt/scratch itself other than that its the greatest portable I ever laid eyes on.I highly recommend it. LOL off topic.

X-145

X-145 said:

Wow...just wow...I like all these gimmicks that all of these companies are coming out with, but thats all they are...gimmicks. The Touch pad on the Vita, The 3D of the 3DS, and now this ViviTouch. Don't get me wrong, sometimes these small thing can make or break a game, but let's not try to over use this ViviTouch like some other remote COUGH COUGH wii-mote COUGH COUGH

Dodger

Dodger said:

Nintendo is really good at taking gimmicks and turning them into a normal part of gaming. Touch screens, duel screens, motion controls and now 3D. They often are laughed at during E3 but when the system comes out, Nintendo is great at turning gimmicks into new ideas.

That's why I was quite disappointed at E3 when the wii U was announced. It wasn't weird at all. It went back to buttons and used gyro controls. Ugly, yes. Weird, no. This sounds like it could be the "gimmick" that could make it really cool if it actually is true.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

I think the rumors about this thing are getting to be totally outrageous and that's only gonna serve to disappoint more people when it's actually released. I wish these "leakers" would just shut up.

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

I for one would welcome such an addition as long as you can toggle it on or off (sort of like adjusting Wiimote volume) ;)