Rumour: Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing Sequel for 3DS and Wii U

Posted by James Newton

Wheelie?

Some dismissed Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing as a SEGA-themed Mario Kart wannabe, but was obviously superior for including Shenmue protagonist Ryo Hazuki as a playable character (wait, what?). According to a new rumour, there could be a follow-up in the works at developer Sumo Digital.

The Sonic Stadium received a tip that claims the series is heading to 3DS and Wii U, with an anonymous insider source saying:

Now working on another title for Sega on 3DS, VITA and WiiU. [The] title we are working on is top secret but the last game we did for them was Sonic And Sega All-Star Racing, so the logical conclusion would be…

Sumo has a long heritage with SEGA, having worked on home conversions of Out Run 2 and original projects such as SEGA Superstars Tennis. What could the publisher-developer collaboration lead to next?

[via sonicstadium.org]

SpaceKappa

SpaceKappa said:

Make it so! I loved the first game, especially since it gave me a chance to play as B.D. Joe, Beat, Billy Hatcher, the Bonanza Bros and Chu Chus again!

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Haven't played the first one yet but there can never be enough good Mario Kart clones. It just has to wait until MK7's out of the limelight. So a holiday release at the earliest might give it a chance to shine.

Incognito_D

Incognito_D said:

I liked the first game but the lack of a Shenmue track was annoying. A sequel with more tracks and characters would be great! :)

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

Sega should put some racing games on 3DS, imagine how great Sega Rally or Outrun 2 could be...

Mr_Reece

Mr_Reece said:

This would be a good opportunity for Sega and Sumo to properly capitolise on Sega's rich heritage. The first game had a great roster of characters, but so many franchises weren't represented in track form: OutRun, Shenmue, Phantasy Star, Virtua Fighter, the list goes on. More variation in the tracks would be nice too. Was there any need for three of each type of Sonic course, for example?

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

I really enjoyed the first one, I'd definitely be up for a sequel.

Like others said though, the character/stage selection in the original were a little disappointing. Include the obligatory Sonic stuff, by all means, but they need to realise a lot of people were interested in the game, simply because of the inclusion of Ryo, Beat and the Chu Chu's, etc. We need a much better variety this time.

(Include Vyse and this will instantly be a day one purchase).

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I really liked the first one but I felt the track choices and design out to have been a lot better considering the gravity of the Sega Universe (if u know what I men)....I had both the DS and Wii version for a time, both sold on after playing to death

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

The Nintendo console version needs Banjo. Interestingly not mentioned PS3 and XBox?! Wouldn't minds a WiiU 3DS version of Outrun as well please

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I still need to play the first Sonic Racing. I did love Outrun 2 though. Still have my copy for the original Xbox

photofool83

photofool83 said:

I would love to see this happen!! Also, now that we've seen Lakitu wave the flag while also being a driver in Mario Kart 7, they should make Nights a playable driver!!

MattL

MattL said:

The first one has been on my Wishlist for an eternity, but all Wii U support is definitely welcome.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

i'd be welcome to it. needs more playable sega characters and tracks though. but i'm glad SEGA are considering making it for the wii U and 3ds.

Takosuke

Takosuke said:

I had no idea that Sumo Digital made S&SASR.

I might just get this because I live near them (the 3DS version, that is).

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Some of the character choices in the first were almost as bad as Mario Kart 7 (no NiGHTS?) so hopefully this is rectified.
Coincidentally, Sumo also make Doctor Who: The Adventure Games, which are pretty good, so why couldn't they make the DS and Wii games?

Knux

Knux said:

I love the original S&SASR (on 360), so I hope this rumor turns out to be true! The Vita version will be the best version. :D

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

"So the logical conclusion would be..." Jet Set Radio?

Joking aside Sega racing was my third favorite kart racer next to the Mario Kart franchise and CTR. So I'm hopeful. Now as for you, Sega, how about confirmation on a Sonic 4 Episode 2 on a Nintendo platform, hm?

Randomname19

Randomname19 said:

Let it have the same or better graphics as the HD version,add more tracks and characters from other games ,put Metal Sonic and Death Egg Hangar(not as DLC) and I'll sell the Wii version to get it on Wii U.

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

I like Sonic and Sega All Stars. It would be nice if there was a sequel. Sega should add Streets of Rage characters, or better yet make a new Streets of Rage game :)

jackaroo

jackaroo said:

Would be awesome if we got a sequel. This is my second favourite kart racer just behind Crash Team Racing. I would like more variety in a sequel though. I mean I love sonic but a few changes could've been made. Like replace Big with another Sega character. And wouldn't have minded if the 9 sonic levels were cut down to 3 instead (1 track per locale) and the other 6 used for other sega franchises. Like phantasy star for example.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Been playing this recently, I'd love for a sequel with more varied characters and changing karts for characters (I love Samba's car, but I hate Samba himself :P )

B-Ray97

B-Ray97 said:

If it is true,
and it`s released,
I don`t racing to the Shop to buy this game!

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

It's funny, I have friends who raved about the original game saying things like "you can drift like in Mario Kart" or "there are lots of characters and vehicles like in Mario Kart." I always responded with "well why play this over Mario Kart then?" They never had an adequite response for me.

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

"Why does Sonic need a car? And another thing, why does Sonic even need to exist?"

Ben "Yhatzee" Croshaw, Zero Puncuation

turtlelink

turtlelink said:

@19, The reason why Sonic 4 episode 2 won't be on the Wii is because wiiware's 40 mb limit is probably too little for Sonic 4 to run. I'm pretty sure they can release this game on the PS3/xbox if they wanted too.

pntjr

pntjr said:

I am definitely on board with this game. Just try not to make it an exact Mario Kart 7 copycat but worse.

Shirma_Akayaku

Shirma_Akayaku said:

I hope that if it is another racing game, it should at least fix the online play. only the leader can pick courses and disband the game if they quit. should have the mario kart wii or 7 online design. and i wish they would add alternate costumes so that way people can be the same character.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

only if the 3ds version has better character karts and follows more closely to the wii u version. Also random online play would be nice because sonic allstars racing only had "friends". I could buy this game, but it would have to be a day i have a full wallet or wait for the price to drop at gamestop.

TheN64Dude

TheN64Dude said:

I always thought they would just port the original to Wii U along with Sonic Generations

TheN64Dude

TheN64Dude said:

@34 the reason S&SASR2 can't be on the PS3/360 for the same reason S4:E2 can't be on Wii. They can't handle the same graphics as Wii U.

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

I have the original in my Xbox 360 HDD - and I really quite enjoy it! A sequel would be great!

@4 - Yeah, I was also bummed that there were no Shenmue tracks...imagine driving around a Shenmue 2 Hong Kong!

@33 - Well, the reason why Sonic had a car was because SEGA actually tried to make him run - but it didn't gel well with the other racers. In the game's storyline, Sonic had a car because it was 'fair' to the other characters - he is simply too fast on foot.

punchout87

punchout87 said:

I loved the first one, but it would've ruled if they used more "classic" Sega characters like Shinobi, Altered Beast, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Space Harrier, etc. The characters they picked for the first one were very underwhelming.

SyFyTy

SyFyTy said:

looking forward to this, I enjoyed the last one better than MK on the DSi.

PatcherStation

PatcherStation said:

The first one was great on the Xbox 360, but I've a feeling that it might not of sold well on the Xbox 360 and PS3, so SEGA have decided to stick with the Wii U and 3DS. A Vita version is probably down to it being a new console. All in all, if SEGA is cutting out the Xbox 360 and PS3, great to see it coming to the Wii U.

Chuie

Chuie said:

:O i was just thinking of this yesterday got on this site boom it needs a sequel anf a fighting game :) i buy it first day and they should have silver to race with :D