Miyamoto Working On Secret, Original Game

Posted by James Newton

A lot on his plate

According to an interview with Zoomin.TV, Shigeru Miyamoto is currently at work on an unannounced, original game.

Miyamoto himself didn't say anything about the game, so we have nothing else to go on: no format, no genre and no hint at which of his hobbies it'll be based on.

Miyamoto is still working on Luigi's Mansion 2 for 3DS and Pikmin 3 on Wii U.

[via youtube.com]

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

It would be wonderful if it was a Wii U game, but it might very well be a DSiWare or 3DSWare game. It would be a game made by Miyamoto, so it would still be a treat to play nonetheless.

h0nden

h0nden said:

Last time we got Wii Music.

And writing he's working on Luigi's Mansion 2 can't be the whole truth? It's american made after all. He may be some kind of producer, but I don't really think he's got that much to do with the development.

James

James said:

@LJM Yep, from the cover of EDGE magazine in the UK a few years ago.

@h0nden Are you saying the producer isn't involved with the development of a game?

stromboli

stromboli said:

Miyamoto has to oversee the game. Next Level made the awesome Punchout! but they also made that Transformers game. Miyamoto needs to make sure this turns out perfect.

mushroomer

mushroomer said:

JaxxRaxor

JaxxRaxor said:

It's about time Miyamoto created a new franchise. Mario and Zelda are great but I want to see some new IPs.

mushroomer

mushroomer said:

Nintendogs, WiiMusic, ... next... my guess.... Glue Sniffer ... heard it here first. With sniffer attachment. Will be very addictive

DNA

DNA said:

Wonder how he enjoyes games by being so busy on this.Miyamoto is a 24/7 workaholic, but the games keep him young...

Dak_n_Jaxter

Dak_n_Jaxter said:

I think(hopefully) he has learned from WiiMusic and such.....and creates a new series in the feeling of Mario/Zelda, but with it's own original story and gameplay. That would be fantastic

h0nden

h0nden said:

@James Producer was probably far from the correct title to use. He might be supporting Next Level Games in some way though.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

i hope it is a new franchise with new characters. the last original I.P nintendo made was pikmin for the gamecube and i think the wii U needs a new mascot to usher in the next 6 years.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Hopefully this means a completely new character for the next Smash Bros. games. It was pretty sad when the only truly new playable characters (as in created since Melee was released) they could add for Brawl were Captain Olimar and Lucario.

TysonOfTime

TysonOfTime said:

It's too hard too imagine what he'll make.

But of course, once he makes it, it'll fit right in.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

He'll invent a game called Brütal Legend, just wait and see !
What, you say it's been done before ? Doesn't matter as long as its not on a Ninty platform ! ;)

Collinhall

Collinhall said:

Please, let this be a REAL GAME this time :P

A new IP that catches on like Mario/Pokemon or w/e would be sick :P

Its been ages

Collinhall

Collinhall said:

Please, let this be a REAL GAME this time :P

A new IP that catches on like Mario/Pokemon or w/e would be sick :P

Its been ages

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

Hm...actually Nintendo has made a lot of new IPs. It's just most of them don't see the light of day outside of Japan. In that case, it's more of an issue with publishing than actual IP development.

There's a pretty long list here: http://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/2011/10/17/50-new-nintendo-ips-since-year-2000/

I think he said he took an interest in swimming recently so maybe the IP will be based off of that. Though seeing as how Pikmin was derived from his gardening, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be pretty strange.

Also, when he developed Wii Music ( and the other Wii named games), I believe it was mentioned somewhere it was partially due to him trying to convince his wife that video games were fun? I don't really think he's lost his touch if that's really the case.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

I think its time. I predict a AAA-calibur RPG! No strategy games like Fire Emblem or Advance Wars, I'm talking an RPG that you can really sink your teeth into that can stand with Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Pokémon on the top of the Nintendo Totem Pole.

Nintenderp

Nintenderp said:

@Neram
Lol I thought the same thing, I really hope they make a new IP that can stand alongside Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Pokemon. :3

RYBlast

RYBlast said:

Miyamoto looks like a bawss in that photo. Also, I hope Miyamoto's new IP lives up to Mario, Zelda, F-Zero, Starfox, and Pikmin.

ianmage1

ianmage1 said:

I almost shed a tear when he said that he was jealous that his characters would out-grow him and that some developers behind SM3D Land were once kids who admired the classic Super Mario Bros.

I hope this new IP lives up to the others. I bet it will!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

What is the point of "predicting" what kind of game will be? We all know Miyamoto always surprises us in the end.

And if he creates a new IP, it may be something that goes under most people's radars, like Steel Diver. Specially with the hype this thing will get.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Miyamoto said before that maybe he will release a new franchise in 2012. I wouldn't hold my breath though: Miyamoto doesn't seem very intent to create a totally new adventure or platformer. It probably will be something small, something casual. Something like Nintendogs, or Wii music, or Steeldriver.

But we will wait and see!

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

I honestly want him to make a new series, i mean when was the last time he made a new series? wasnt it pikmin in 2001? And im counting donkey kong, super mario, legend of zelda, pikmin. Someone tell me if i missed any based on what i already put.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

12. mushroomer

"please make a game for the wii or ds that has a level editing mode. i love mario vs donkey kong and that concept placed on a new creation like little big planet is a good way to go"

I wholeheartedly agree. One of my favorite non-Nintendo games is Little Big Planet (PS3), because of the awesome creation tools that allow players to create original levels from nothing. I wish Nintendo would release a level editor with the next iteration of 2D Mario. The simple square grid in 2D Mario games would be perfect for level creation.

Son

Son said:

Can't wait for Luigi's Mansion 2 for 3DS. I will definitely buy it. I hope miyamoto is working on a RPG game.

LordTendoboy

LordTendoboy said:

Everyone keeps begging for more new IPs from Miyamoto, but we already got:

• Wii Sports
  • Wii Fit
  • Nintendogs
  • Steel Diver
  • Mii's

5 new creations in one generation. Isn't that enough?

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

@LordTendoboy

i think when we meant actual gaming IPs, we want another platform, adventure type game along the lines of mario, zelda, metroid, kirby etc, rather than something like the casual wii sports, nintendogs.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Sweet Link-into-Shiggy fade at the end of that video... and by "sweet" I mean "kind of creepy"
An original eShop game would be just the place for a new, weird, experimental game. And I'd love a Wii Music +, thank you kindly.