There's Hope for Layton vs. Phoenix Wright Outside Japan

Posted by James Newton

Another mystery to investigate

The thought of seeing two of gaming's greatest minds face-off in Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright is the reason we get out of bed in the morning, but when it was revealed that Ace Attorney Investigations 2 wouldn't come Westward some were worried that future mental mastery wouldn't make it out of Japan either. Now it seems Phoenix and Layton will both find their way to the English-speaking world in future.

GamesRadar reports being handed an English language press release for the game at the recent Tokyo Games Show — not unusual in itself considering the number of foreign press in attendance, but interesting in a few ways. For one, the game was referred to by its English name Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright, rather than its Japanese title Professor VS Gyakuten Saiban, and several character names were marked as "English names TBD [to be defined]".

Level-5 and Capcom are both tight-lipped, neither having confirmed the game's release outside of Japan, but we'll keep you informed on development.

[via gamesradar.com]

47drift

47drift said:

As somebody who decided to buy a 3DS right when this game was announced, I am thoroughly excited. The screenshots are looking excellent, too.

BenAV

BenAV said:

At first I misread the title as "There's No Hope for Layton vs. Phoenix Wright Outside Japan"... But then I reread it and was happy to find out that it was just a mistake on my behalf.
Hopefully it does make it out here, it's looking pretty good.

Jamouse

Jamouse said:

Finaly a 3DS game i can take seriously! (Yeah, i don't know what i mean ether)
In other words, i'm looking foward to this.

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sakura_Moonlight2421 said:

.-. Actually Level-5 International took a poll in July on their Facebook page on the topic of what game to localize in the west. This was the winner with Ni no Kuni for PS3 as the runner up. All you Layton and Ace Attorney fans out there mopped the floor of us Ni no Kuni fans. ;_;

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

i hope this comes out in the west for the people who want it....i'm not 100% sure i'm going to buy it...depends on when it comes out

Late

Late said:

I want this game! I liked Professor Layton and the Curious Village and I've just bought an Ace Attorney game which is awesome.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

With this game being #1 on the Facebook poll of most wanted game to be localized by Level5 International, this game has to come out.

Smashbro99

Smashbro99 said:

Dear Capcom/Level 5
Giving this game an international release would forgive any prior mistakes and/or restore my fanboyism to Capcom.
Sincerely, SmashBro99

photofool83

photofool83 said:

Can I sneak in some love for Ghost Trick by Capcom. This game blew me away. If you haven't played it yet, now's a good time to pick it up. It's only 15 bucks on amazon!! Give this awesome game some love so we might see a sequel.

SennaKurosaki

SennaKurosaki said:

If Nintendo doesn't release "Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney" outside Japan then it over and done for me. It will be too insulting. Then I will turn my back towards Nintendo. "Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney" is an awesome looking game that everyone should be able to play. (Also "Ni No Kuni" for the DS needs a world-wide release pronto!)

FMillman

FMillman said:

Maybe a Professor Layton/Phoenix Wright crossover will give me an insight into Phoenix Wright as I have never played before.

Blaze

Blaze said:

Best news ever! I've never liked Layton, but anything that has Phoenix in and is coming our way is great news! :-)

g-silent007

g-silent007 said:

They would be crazy not to release this game for a western audience, this would be an instant hi!

g-silent007

g-silent007 said:

They would be crazy not to release this game for a western audience, this would be an instant hit
!

g-silent007

g-silent007 said:

!

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I hope this true as I love the professor Layton series and I recently played the first Ace attorney game which was awesome!

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

I hope it does get a release outside of Japan. Capcom also needs to release Investigations 2 outside of Japan already. I know they said they have no plans to do that but I really want that game.

NintendoMaster

NintendoMaster said:

This game will most likely make its way westward due to the large fan base. I'm also sure this will happen as it is the most requested game to be imported in a Level 5 survey.

edhe

edhe said:

Hopefully, Level-5 (in their capacity as publisher) will do what NoE couldn't be bothered to do with London Life, and localise it for Europe.

Then again, there are an awful lot of words to translate...(!)

Punny

Punny said:

I can totally envision this game hitting the US. Both Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton are hits here, so having them together would definitely show some sales. I do not OBJECT to it coming here. :D

Taya

Taya said:

Please please oh please come to North America! I love both Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton and I need this crossover to happen!

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Please God, Please God, Please God, Please God...

I loved the Ace Attorney games (except the 4th one) As well as the ONE Ace Attorney Investigations game. & am trying to get into the Professor Layton games too. PL Vs. PW Would be an amazing match up, please bring to PAL-ville! & then from the success of that game they will surely bring over the 2nd AAI game...

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

Uh...I was kinda expecting this to get an English translation, due to the popularity of both Wright and Layton (particularly the latter).

Capcom would be crazy to neglect the West with this fantastic looking game. I really can't wait to play it!

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

There are not many games i'm anticipating as much as this one. I wouldn't mind this game only being in American language as long as it makes its way to Europe.
And if you're feeling fan-friendly you could include a demo of Investigations 2 and ask for people's reception on it. If enough people really want it you could eventually bring it westward ? :)

edhe

edhe said:

Actually, can Level-5 publish the game in Europe, despite not having any offices in Europe? They have a new North America headquarters, but if not, it'll be left to Capcom or even Nintendo to publish it in Europe.

Europe may miss this game yet.

motang

motang said:

I sure would like to play it here in the US, I do hope it will come out.