Rumour: 3DS Developer Conference Next Tuesday

Posted by Trevor Chan

Hopefully a particular date will get decided

Whatever the reason is for delaying the system update on the 3DS, an update that will enable the Nintendo eShop as well as other functionalities, gamers are past caring now and just want to know when it will be available.

According to a message supposedly posted on Nintendo's development site Wario World, the company is holding a developer conference on 17th May in Hollywood, California. In attendance will be designers, producers and key decision-makers. Talking points will cover the console's content and messaging distribution methods and its native capabilities.

Online features such as the anticipated eShop, Nintendo Zone viewer (an out-of-house distribution service), applications, online matchmaking, Internet connectivity, friend presence and digital distribution will be discussed. Other areas that will be explored include StreetPass, AR functions, anti-piracy measures and middleware updates.

If this is indeed accurate, then it coincides with the Japanese retailer meetings that are reportedly taking place this week (as reported by AndriaSang). The waiting continues.

[via neogaf.com]

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

It'll be a while before I can buy anything off of eShop. I just want to be able to surf the web. :|

NeoRausch

NeoRausch said:

it's on warios world? (read as: nintendo intern) hmmm... well, ar least we gonna get some closure date for the eShop. hopefully!

Kit

Kit said:

We'll just have to go easy on Ninty, they have only just had an earthquake, tsunami and nuclear meltdown to deal with in Japan. Pray for them. The update will come, all in good time.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

...For a minute I thought the update was delayed further when I read the first sentence. xD

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

All I know is there's 21 days left in this month, and Nintendo sounded pretty clear about "end of May"-- I won't even let my mind get lazy into thinking it will come before Monday, May 30th. READ: If it comes sooner, then it'll be a welcome surprise.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

...Nintendo always likes to release stuff at the END of the month, so...yeah. xD

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Hmmm...seems it would be the perfect opportunity for Nintendo to launch the eShop this coming Monday, a mere day before they gather people for a conference partially about it. I feel as though we actually stand a chance of getting it Monday. And if not, I certainly expect that day it WILL be released to be revealed at this conference.

Hokori

Hokori said:

why do people say Nintendo like launching at the end of the month?
remember WiiWare?

3 Years Thursday

jerryo

jerryo said:

uhm NOW they are going to discuss all these? or rather on the 17th of May!?!?!?! i think we are going to wait a lot more... this is not really very good news. if it is true it is rather alarming.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Seems like there might be some heavy hitters coming to this if it's true. A nice, long conversation on how the eShop can be the best it can be is essential for them to do something about it. Pretty soon we'll all be able to surf the web without having to stop playing the game!

jerryo

jerryo said:

i don't see a problem with the discussion, but now they should be finishing the implementation and testingdebugging. not discussing about features and what developers think about them. That is if indeed they are very serious about their online features, and they don't plan to serve whatever they have in their mind as successful on-line presence. (something that they have showed us time and again they know nothing about)

Skotski

Skotski said:

Huh... I live near Hollywood California. I wonder if I hang outside the building if I'd get a street pass from them. XP

Dodger

Dodger said:

I really hope they make a system for chatting at least as good as what the wii can do. If I have that and a functional internet browser then I'll be happy. The 3DS VC is just a bonus. :P

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

I'm done waiting for things to be released. I just simply don't care. That's probably why I still don't have a 3DS.

Skotski

Skotski said:

@PSICOffee
So wait... because you're tired of waiting for 3DS games, you sold off something that also plays DS games and has future titles that many are looking forward to?

That's like selling off a kidney because you have no immediate use for it. ...I mean, if you were planning on re-purchasing the 3DS in the future and need the money right now, I'd understand. But that just felt like... well... an impatient move.

Skotski

Skotski said:

@PSICOffee
Ah, forgive me, I misread, I thought you said that "I don't have a 3DS anymore" for some reason. Didn't realize you said "STILL DON'T have a 3DS". I fail. I dead.

jayjay99

jayjay99 said:

tear tear!!! hooooray!! lol! i dont kno wich emotion to realese!! oh wait i'll realese my emotion wen we get our update! :/

Bigrat

Bigrat said:

I think he eShop will be released soon after the conference. Or just before it. I want it t add a chat channel so all online 3DS users can chat and exchange friend codes and miis because im like the only one in my town with a 3DS =(

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

My life has gone on far too long without experiencing Link's Awakening. Come on, e-Shop!

Algorhythm

Algorhythm said:

It's ridiculous that Nintendo has been practically silent regarding their online plans at the end of May. I will bet anything that the Netflix compatibility will not launch with the launch of the eShop but will be Fall 2011....

jerryo

jerryo said:

Nintendo announced the 3DS firmware update will be available before the end of May, which includes several new functions:

Nintendo eShop
3DS Ware - Rockman Dash 3 Prologue (200 yen), Petitcom (800 yen)
DSi Ware - import DSi Ware from DSi to 3DS
3D Classic - classic titles in 3D, Excitebike, Legend of Zelda and Xevious will be available
Virtual Console GameBoy - Ikari no Yousai, Phantasm
Virtual Console Game Gear - Sonic & Tails 2, Sonic Drift 2, Dragon Crystal, Columns
Virtual Console GameBoy Color - Super Mario Land, The Legend of Zelda DX (Demo)
Virtual Console PC ENgine - games TBA
Demos - 3D Video Player, 3D Game Trailer/Previews Channel, Fuji TV and Nippon TV Previews

jerryo

jerryo said:

i wonder what will be the equivalent of netflix in europe. :S Eurosport i think is one which is good :) but what about movies?

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

If true it could mean Nintendo has finished developing the eShop and just wants to show the over dev's what they can do with it.
Or it could mean that they want more input from other dev's to further develop the eShop ...

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Hopefully all of the stuff with devs for close to launch shop games have been worked out, and this is just an opportunity for them to tech demo the final shop interface and all of the features they will have when they update, which is why everyone is meeting in person all together.

The next Monday would be the 23rd, and then there's Memorial Day. Those were the two dates everyone was guessing anyways, so no surprises here.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

@Kid_A .... There is a certain part of my screen-name that you should consider after making that comment publicly. Hint: It's not the 'shot' part! :D

chicksdigscars

chicksdigscars said:

definately coming this month. they cant hold this update back another month. consumers will be very upset. I think they will announce the date for sure this coming tues. Its not whats in the update. they got that figured out already. Its all about just tying up all the lose ends and making sure the update goes smooth. I am kind of displeased cuz when i got the ds3 i was told it had these features already. Think they were going to release it with the launch of the system but something messed with it. r4 cards maybe. dont know. but i do know there are rumours that this next update will consist of blocking that type of hack. either or they must release something. they did officially anounce it for this month. Also if i remember my manuel even has some of this in it. Thats why i think this update would have already been on the system

JustanotherGamer

JustanotherGamer said:

Hopefully the developers will get together and come up with ideas for Street pass, The e-shop, and on-line creativity for the 3DS. Naturally great games will be on the agenda. The launch of the 3DS was excatly stellar so maybe they will be able to turn things around.