A Dragon Quest Collection for Wii Draws Near!

Posted by James Newton

25 years young

2011 is a busy year of anniversary celebrations: Sonic the Hedgehog reaches 20 and both Legend of Zelda and Metroid turn 25. While SEGA and Nintendo are sure to have some birthday plans in the works, Square Enix doesn't want you to forget about the 25th anniversary of Dragon Quest, as it's releasing a commemorative pack in its native Japan.

Containing the 8-bit versions of Dragon Quest, Dragon Quest 2 and Dragon Quest 3, the collection also includes the revamped Super Famicom versions, Dragon Quest 1 & 2 and Dragon Quest 3. As with Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition. the games will appear as they did on the original consoles, and can be played with Wii Remote, Classic Controller or the GameCube pad.

The original games were released in the West as Dragon Warrior to avoid copyright conflicts with the DragonQuest tabletop RPG, and to this day the first three adventures haven't seen release on either the American or European Virtual Console. Will we see this 25th anniversary pack leave Japan? We'll keep you updated.

[via andriasang.com]

Phalyn

Phalyn said:

Sounds awesome, I always wanted to get into this series, this looks like a great collection.

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

Would have loved to see remakes for this on the 3DS, similar to what they did with IV, V and VI. Very disappointing to just see a bunch of roms thrown onto the Wii.

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

I'll be interested to see how this turns out - if it gets a PAL release I may pick it up if it's at a budget price!

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Seeing the headline i thought wow. I anticipated more Dragon Quest games in the collection though. So if it leaves Japan i can't see myself shelling out more than 20€ for this. :|
And i don't really care if they're remade or not.

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

Gooses, geeses
I want my geese to lay gold eggs for easter
At least a hundred a day
And by the way

I want a feast
I want a bean feast
Cream buns and doughnuts
And fruitcake with no nuts
So good you could go nuts

No, now

I want a ball
I want a party
Pink macaroons
And a million balloons
And performing baboons and
Give it to me now

I want the world
I want the whole world
I want to lock it
All up in my pocket
It's my bar of chocolate
Give it to me now

I want today
I want tomorrow
I want to wear 'em
Like braids in my hair and
I don't want to share 'em

I want a party with roomfuls of laughter
Ten thousand tons of ice cream
And if I don't get the things I am after
I'm going to scream

I want the works
I want the whole works
Presents and prizes
And sweets and surprises
Of all shapes and sizes

And now

Don't care how, I want it now
Don't care how, I want it now

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Insta bye here! I haven't play the originals in forever and love the first 3 dragon quests more then the first 3 final fantasy games. After that though it was all final fantasy for the most part!

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

I haven't played any of those games. Can there be a better way to be introduced to the series? Bring this to Europe please.

cangelo

cangelo said:

yeah...I was hoping for something a little more complete :( I have DQ 1-3 on GB/GBC. They will probably also release those on the 3ds store eventually. I think I'd rather have the portable version anyhow.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Excellent. Dragon Quests I-VI are out now and we have XI as well. Now if only we can somehow get Dragon Quests VII and VIII, the circle will be complete.

pixelman

pixelman said:

OMFG. I'd be so absolutely 100% all over this. Please get released over here!! D:
they'll probably just release the GBC versions on the 3DS instead though, since the SNES versions were never localized. :(

@Jumbif: lmao dude, I love that song. Thumbs up for Willy Wonka reference. :3

Ryno

Ryno said:

Cool, I may have to get this if it comes to NA. I still have the original Dragon Warrior NES cart but never played II and III.

Azikira

Azikira said:

I like game compilations like Super Mario All-Stars. This may be worth some investigation.

Zach

Zach said:

I've never played a DQ game, perhaps this would be a good place to start!

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I expect Nintendo would localize it if we get it at all, just like with IX and VI. This collection is totally worth it simply because we wouldn't get the SNES remakes on VC since they weren't originally released here. Insta-buy for me guys, so make it happen!

Scarhino89

Scarhino89 said:

I believe we would got only NES versions if that compilation was released in Occident.

1upsuper

1upsuper said:

I desperately hope this reaches America, though I already have and have beaten I, II, and III. Of course, if it's Dragon Quest, of course I'm going to buy it.

NintendoLee

NintendoLee said:

Well with Europe getting VIII first and we've eventually had a release of IV,V,VI a disk with I,II and III would be fantastic as Europe were totally shafted on this franchise. Now for a release of VII and that would be perfection.

Though I really can't see it sadly, unless they're using is as a step up to plug X (E3 anyone?!)

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

There's almost no chance of this getting an English release. Sales for the others (IX not withstanding) haven't exactly been amazing and they'd have to completely translate both versions of the game and the first two are almost archaic. It would be great, but don't get your hopes up.

We'll either see it released on the VC or have to wait for proper remakes.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

This actually sounds neater then the Mario Allstars set. Even though I've never played DQ, I'd certainly pick this up if it got a PAL release.

After all, the DS games have sold well outside of Japan, so there should be hope.

Graph

Graph said:

Gah! This is a must for me! I've been playing Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest ever since I got my free Dragon Warrior game by subscribing to Nintendo Power back in the those day.

First day buy for me! Hope it comes here.

TikiTong

TikiTong said:

I never did play a DQ game,but this looks cool!!!!!

Man our game mascots are getting old!!!!!!!

EdEN

EdEN said:

3 games in two flavors, artbook and sountrack? $50. 3 games in two flavors? $40.

What will it be Square-Enix?

Gamesake

Gamesake said:

Dragon Quest VIII is the only one worth playing. But this collection could still sell over here, especially since Dragon Warrior is absent on the VC.

Despair1087

Despair1087 said:

ive only played dq V, VI, and IX. i was looking forward to getting the gbc ones on 3DS, but this is still an intabuy for me. i love those little slimes... such a shame they have to be murdered to level up my character lol. if only they would remake VII and VIII for 3DS. ive heard good things, but have never owned a non nintendo console to play them.

Scarhino89

Scarhino89 said:

A last thing, I got Dragon Quest IV, V and IX on DS. Soon, I will buy Dragon Quest VI. ;)

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I'm so getting this. I'm with Highwinter that it should've been full remakes for the 3DS, I'll take what I can, assuming this is available for a budget price.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

Tsk. Not for me. RPGs within and outside the DQ series have come a loooooooooong way since these games were made. :( It would be a neat historical curiosity for some, but I'll pass. No sense spending my gold coins on lower-level equipment when it comes to the Dragon Quest formula. :P

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Actually, they're still fun. They're terrible as RPGs, but the first two are fun adventure games. The third game also has a neat party customization feature, though it's more linear.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

@mickey - III really isn't any more linear than 2 was...it's just longer. There's more pre-boat and more post-boat. 1, however, was crazy non-linear....sure--going to certain areas before you were leveled enough to do so was suicide, but literally nothing except the final dungeon was off-limits to a level 1 character.

Mach-X

Mach-X said:

Sounds great for those who don't have the NES carts, my only question is, why be so el cheapo and leave off IV? Why not put the complete NES series in there?

Blk_Mage_Ctype

Blk_Mage_Ctype said:

Cool, hope it comes outside of Japan. I've never played the Dragon Quest games, and this would be the perfect way for me to enjoy them!

NotEnoughGolds

NotEnoughGolds said:

Great, I loved the original Dragon Warrior but haven't played the rest.
Heard DQ3 was the best of the NES games.

brainofj

brainofj said:

I rented the original for five straight days, to the annoyance of my parents. I'd love to play it again.

Kevin

Kevin said:

I'd prefer they do this collection of the GBC games. Those versions are superior.