Sega Teases Sonic Anniversary Announcement for 7th April

Posted by James Newton

Hold onto your sneakers

Last year was the 25th anniversary of Super Mario Bros., and there was much rejoicing, but this year Sega's jumping for joy over Sonic the Hedgehog reaching 20 years old. While Sonic's official birthday is 23rd June, the celebrations kick off on Thursday 7th April at the official Sonic the Hedgehog Facebook page.

The Sonic celebrations are still closely guarded secrets: Sega recently registered domains for Sonic Generations, and last year a Spanish company rep seemingly outed Sonic Anniversary, a compilation of Sonic's best outings in 2D & 3D. The Japanese publisher has confirmed it has at least three Sonic games in development, including a follow-up to 2D WiiWare title Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I, and it's likely Nintendo formats would receive any anniversary game in the works.

Stay tuned for the first part of the hedgehog hootenanny this week.

[via facebook.com]

irken004

irken004 said:

Untitled
Saw the announcement on Facebook. Can't wait to see what the surprise it :3

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

I had a feeing that James was behiind this article :P
20 years of Sonic, Woot!
glad to hear, there still working on Sonic 4, hopefuly they will bring it to the 3DS

Ren

Ren said:

I'd be ok if they retired these games for good. Never played a good Sonic game in my life. always choppy and bad music/voices
I guess Adventure on DC was ok, but I never understood the appeal of the others, they all seem kinda unfinished in many ways, like 1 person made them over a few years.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

A Sonic game based off of either the SatAM or one that introduces the SatAM/Comic characters into main game continuity, please!

Gameday

Gameday said:

ima celebrate with a nice hot chili dog. love older sonic games not to much of a fan of new sonics but would give em a run thru lol

Will_Ireland

Will_Ireland said:

Cue Sonic 1 - 3 & Knux compilation port... again :P

My first thoughts exactly... what are the chances of us getting some Sonic CD and Knuckles Chaotix action?

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Best Sonic Anniversary gift for me: hearing that Triple Trouble and other Game Gear games would be on the 3DS. Awww Yeeeaaah! Triple Trouble without having to pull out my old GG!

SuperSinSlayer77

SuperSinSlayer77 said:

Hopefully this Anniversary gift won't be another port of older Sonic games since there are plenty of those. Still, I look forward to the announcement.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@3 Apparently, you haven't played Sonics 1-3, & Knuckles, CD, Adventure 2, or Colors.

@12 We do already have Sonic CD on Sonic Gems Collection, but a rerelease of Knuckles Chaotix is definitely overdue (although I already have it for my 32X :D).

@14 You mean 9 years of quality [1991-1994, 1999, 2001-2003, 2010 (North American release dates)] and 16 years of crud.

Anything will be better than what they did for his 15th Anniversary, releasing arguably the two worst Sonic games of all time (Sonic Genesis on GBA and Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) for PS3/X360), and that's saying something.

jackaroo

jackaroo said:

Apparently sonicgenerations.com was registered by sega a couple days ago so looking like its going to be something relating to sonics past. My guess is either a prequel (They had a poll asking who would be interested in a prequel last year), a compilation (.....please dont lol) or a remake of classic levels in 3D like it was reported back in novemebr or whenever it was.

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

Was playing my original cart on my Megadrive last night. Sonic the Hedgehog is one of my favourite games ever, along with OutRun. Though there were lots of bad games, Colours and Rush were good, I also enjoyed Sonic 4, though I dont think it really lives up to that title even as a single 'episode'...

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

What I wanna hear:

• Sonic 3DS news
  • Game Gear launch titles on 3DS VC
  • Sonic 4: Episode 2 news
Highwinter

Highwinter said:

Hate to beat a dead horse but there's really very little they could announce that would interest me now.. and it's most likely just going to be an Episode 2 announcement.

Let a new developer handle the games and maybe they could do something genuinely new and interesting with it. Otherwise.. let the hedgehog die.

James

James said:

@Shinesprite That's a Sonic Sackboy all right, but not connected to this recent news. Just a cool photo of Sonic to illustrate the news post is all.

Ski_Deuce

Ski_Deuce said:

A good compilation I'd be interested in:
Rad Mobile (Sonic's first appearance is in this game)
Sonic's Genesis Titles (more for others than for myself, I have these)
Sonic's Game Gear titles (for history)
Sonic: The Fighters
Knuckles Chaotix
Sega Sonic the Hedgehog Arcade
Sonic Xtreme related stuff
Assorted video (commercials, interviews) and music

Optional:
Sonic's GBA and DS games
Other Arcade Games Sonic has made appearances in

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

Please please PLEASE let it be that remake collection of the original games in Sonic Colors style. That would be an insta-buy for me. :)

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

As long as we get something new and ground breaking. On the 3DS would be nice too.
Eh, who am I kidding?

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Awesome, though I am still waiting on a release date, screenshots, or anything on Sonic 4: Episode 2. Sonic 4 Ep. 1 was released last October - that's agesssssss ago! :'( More Sonic 4 now please, less compilations! :P

Ren

Ren said:

believe me, ranters, I've tried most of them and wanted to like them, but they just don't hold up for me. As soon as the play gets interesting and into fast 2D it halts again and you have to listen to some cheesy character ramble on about a really poor story. All along there is always some kind of flicker, slowdown, annoying poorly realized music, (and later horrible voices and even worse story). The first one was ok, but never really did it again very well. It just doesn't make sense to me that they're still trying to milk it after so many failed attempts. Anyway, to each his own, Mario wasn't always perfect either, but it's indeed an extremely solid product that was worth following up that many times as long as the quality playability is still there and consistent.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Ren, none of the original Genesis games ever had much of a story to screw up, and Sonic Adventure 2 has an excellent story (and some really good music).

JimLad

JimLad said:

Sonic Adventure 3!
Give 3D sonic another chance! I know the camera sucked but they were still really fun games.

and Sonic games have AWESOME MUSIC, some of the best imho.

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

i would kill for Sonic Adventure 1+2 3D...

but unfortunately, it seems to be a time travelling game for PS360

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Can't wait to hear what else Sega has to announce....... I'm a big Sonic fan.