Zelda: Skyward Sword Getting "Finishing Touches"

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Link's latest looks locked for later this...year

It's been a while since we heard anything concrete about the highly awaited The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Revealed at E3 2010 with nary a peep afterward, until one day last December, out of nowhere, Nintendo legend Shigeru Miyamoto poked his head out to say "it's half-finished, y'all."

Now we have more.

During a recent investor meeting in Japan (via Destructoid), Nintendo revealed that the title was in the "finishing touches" phase of development. Which sounds considerably more than half-way done.

We went hands-on with the title during E3, so be sure to check out First Impressions for more Skyward Sword to tide you over until Link resurfaces again.

[via destructoid.com]

rubbernec320

rubbernec320 said:

It'd be great if it came out in march so then I could get to play skyward sword and the 3ds all in one month! Or it could come out near my birthday in may, either way I'm hyped for SS!

zeeroid

zeeroid said:

It was mentioned earlier that it wouldn't be released till after OoT for 3DS. And that's not coming out till after E3. So I wouldn't get hopes up for an imminent release. Probably not until late summer.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Glad i didn't get that Wii Motion plus deal a few months back...I'll just wait till Zelda.

Link79

Link79 said:

It's going to be really hard waiting for this game. It'll probably get delayed until the end of the year. If it's so close to being finished why haven't they announced a release date yet? Not sure I'll even get the remake of Ocarina. If I wanna play that again I'll just fire up my N64.
Unless it has something new to offer besides 3D effects.

ArmoredGoomba

ArmoredGoomba said:

The interview that said it was "half-finished" was a very old interview posted by a no-name site to try and get hits. Also I wish Zelda was coming out a little sooner, summer maybe? Oh well whatever Miyamoto thinks is best.

pixelman

pixelman said:

It's also coming after Ocarina of Time 3D, according to a source I forgot (maybe Reggie or IGN). I'm guessing very soon after E3 so they can redeem their messed up showing.

GoingBonkz

GoingBonkz said:

Ok, I've said this in other places, and I'll say it again. This was in a conference about titles in Japan. Most likely, Skyward Sword will come out in all 3 regions around the same time, as that's usually the case with Zelda games. Now, in Japan, OOT is expected around April-May, and they said Skyward Sword is coming out AFTER OOT, assuming this means Japanese release wise. So I say Skyward Sword is coming out May. Now the reason OOT won't be coming out in all 3 regions at the same time is because of hardware related reasons with the 3DS.

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

I'd say April is where it's at for this hopefully-gem. Should be fun!

EDIT: Never mind, I apparently don't search Google for articles that other comments have said exist. :$

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

However that last 10% can take a third of the time to get right... I imagine Skyward Sword will be out this year, and maybe even not saved for the Xmas rush...

Marvelousmoo

Marvelousmoo said:

The interview said it was over half way done, which people took to mean half way done. Just goes to show how much information can be stretched. I hope this game is good. I'm kind of tired of the same old zelda story, but if its really good, then that doesn't matter.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

See? I knew NL were over-reacting in their last article about Skyward Sword, spouting that it must be going to be released later in the year because it's only half done after Miyamoto said it's over half done, not only. Tsk, tsk tsk :P.

But anyway, its been far too long since the last home console Zelda, I'm hopeing Ninty can find a place in their schedule to release this earlier than later, they did do the big reveal of it at last year's E3 (& they usually show off / showcase games that will be released before the next E3) but we'll have to just wait & see :)

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

It'll be pushed back with a "disc shortage issue" (looking at you Zelda II) or just to be better like the newer Zelda's.

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

1998 Ocarina Of Time
2000 Majora's Mask
2003 Wind Waker
2006 Twilight Princess
2011 Skyward Sword

No other console Zelda game has had even close to this long of a development time (assuming that it is true that as soon as one console Zelda game is finished, they move onto the next). Given what an enormous amount of content they created for Twilight Princess, I'm expecting great things and polishing.

Rensch

Rensch said:

I won't mind if they wait for a few more months. We've got the 3DS in the meantime.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@22.tealovertoma - I haven't heard about that (that "as soon as one console Zelda game is finished, they move onto the next" we know it's true for Ninty's consoles though), but you gotta include the handheld Zeldas into that timeline as well (maybe not the 3rd party ones :P). Ok maybe just include Phantom Hourglass & Spirit Tracks (due to the fact they are most recent) & as can be read in the various Iwata Asks for those titles (iirc), most if not all of the Zelda team have been working on those two titles inbetween Twilight Princess & Skyward Sword & hence the latest title hasn't been in development for five years, more like a year or two probably which sounds about right (I think). Correct me if i'm wrong though.

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

It would be hysterical if Miyamoto actually did poke his head out from somewhere and said, "it's half-finished, y'all."

Chris720

Chris720 said:

With 5 years of development and polish, this should be the best ever Zelda game (except for OoT)! Unless it goes south and heads the M:OM way, a game also trying to be a movie. :P

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

@WiiLovePeace: I didn't actually mean to suggest that they have a full development team ready right after they finish one console game. But Aonuma has stated they start to work on general concept ideas, the story, etc. According to an interview with him, the story for Skyward Sword was by all means already finished at E3 2009. Obviously Aonuma is always working on several titles at the same time, but it seems they always have a (sometimes small, sometimes larger) team working on console Zeldas. And by E3 2010, Aonuma admitted they already had several dungeons ready. It's a little tough to get insider information, but I still think this is the longest development cycle for any Zelda yet (apart, perhaps, from Ocarina Of Time).

We do know there's been a lot of back-and-forth of should-we-use-WM+-or-not in the development team, which might have stalled things a bit, but they will obviously work on other things in the mean time. I think if they hadn't added WM+, this game would've been out by 2010.

(In between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, Nintendo EAD also managed to finish Four Swords Adventures by the way)

JimLad

JimLad said:

'Finishing touches' is the equivalent of half way done for a Zelda game imo.

Tar

Tar said:

I think this game is going to come out around the September to October mark, and gets it's real release date at E3 2011

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Probably a September release. Ocarina will most likely launch before E3, and Nintendo will want to give it a few months to breath before releasing SS. Not to mention the fact that they'll probably want to right the wrongs of last year's E3 showing of the game with a glitch-free on-stage demo, and reveal a bit more of the story.

kevohki

kevohki said:

I hope it's not pushed back because the term "finishing touches" has been the kiss of delay for many games.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

I'm guessing it'll be released either in Aug. like Mario Galaxy 2 or for the holidays.

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

This game will be Nintendo's big Thanksgiving week release, just like Ocarina was 13 years ago. This years E3 is gonna be huge, as I am sure we will see the resurgence of F-ZERO on 3DS and a few more Wii titles that will come out by Christmas.

mattnd2007

mattnd2007 said:

not expecting it until the holidays. but it will be glorious when it finally comes. if it came out in the summer i would be completely shocked.

Iggy

Iggy said:

Thats good news i cant wait tell i get to play this game. It would be cool if they release a bundle with the wii remote plus sense i have the lame version were you have to connect the wii motion plus.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

This is good news, and the game should be very good. I think it'll release in early Fall, which would be August to October, but who really knows with Zelda?

JohnDoe123

JohnDoe123 said:

Don't know if I'll get this. It looks great and all, but with this and Ocarina 3D, I'm not sure if I can afford all these Zelda games.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Saving money for a pre-order, to possibly make eBay pre-Christmas, as Christmastime, stores will no doubt have sharply competitive price cuts, making selling a game for $5 over the retail rate of $50, or even for the regular price of $50 pointless.

odd69

odd69 said:

I hope they release it in November, on the 19th to be exact, when they originally released the wii (also my bday). Hey, I can wish :P

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

Of course Europe won't be seeing it until mid-2012.

Now....when's Kirby's Epic Yarn comming out here again?