This Jedward Dragon Quest Promotion is Getting Too Much

Posted by James Newton

Bonkers video inside

Part of Jedward's joint role as face of Nintendo UK is, naturally, to draw attention to the company's fantastic line-up of games from users who might not normally be into gaming. This video below is a perfect example.

At a recent canvassing event for Dragon Quest IX, the talented twins took to the stage dressed as their Dragon Quest characters to the sound of screaming teenage girls. Advertising doesn't come much more surreal.

This is just the latest part of Nintendo's Christmas campaign that also features Dame Helen Mirren, Sir Terry Wogan and tiny Geordie pair Ant and Dec.

Golgo

Golgo said:

My copy of DQIX is still pristine in its wrapping waiting to be played, but this promotion makes me want to flush it down the khazi.

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

People actually like these guys over there. They look like there from the 80s. And their plan to have mini newspapers to save paper????? And the talk about new years resolutions. WTF indeed...

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

@zranoll: "People actually like these guts over there."

Over where? I don't think anybody here likes Jedward. They're probably the most reviled celebrities going at the moment, they're only famous because they've got so much ego and so little talent that they manage to piss off the hosts and audience of just about every single show they appear on.

diane

diane said:

@diane: please check your e-mail. also, please note that I have screengrabbed your original comment, so we know for a fact you're not the poor downtrodden martyr you are portraying yourself as. again, either be nice to your fellow posters or do not post here at all. -- TBD

soxpatch

soxpatch said:

Its always easy to hate to two defenseless kids living their dream. There are worse things going on, than these lovely boys advertising a game. I think some people need a dose of the real world!

antster1983

antster1983 said:

They appeared on Never Mind the Buzzcocks the other week. They irritated the hell outta me. Even Phill Jupitus said they made Dappy from N-Dubz sound like Stephen Fry!

Paragon

Paragon said:

I can see the good side to this whole thing, I mean, it's working isn't it? The advertisments I mean. Plus I quite like Jedward.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@Paragon: It seems so. Whether people react negatively or positively to it, they're still reacting, and that's what matters with press/advertising.

Zach

Zach said:

You've got to hand it to them, they at least get people talking.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

I watched 35 seconds. Then Jedward came on. Then I noticed the video was just over 9 minutes long. Then I panicked, screamed, and hurled my laptop as far away as possible, before calling the local vicar and bomb squad to have it exorcised and destroyed in a controlled explosion.

LuWiiGi

LuWiiGi said:

Wait, do Nintendo not want us to buy this game? 'Cause any ad with those two #@!$%ers in just puts me off.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Why did you make this decision Nintnedo?!?! This decision is nearly as bad as their decision to put such stupid size limits on their download services! The ps3/360 fanboys at my school are already making fun of nintendo because of the ad that jedward are in.

edhe

edhe said:

I don't even have to watch this video to know it makes me feel deeply embarassed to be a Nintendo fan.

And I don't intend to either.

TrevorTheChan

TrevorTheChan said:

@antster1983
I don't remember any other episode of Nevermind the Buzzcocks that made me want to scream and turn the TV off. Even Bill Oddie's appearance wasn't as annoying, partly because of that fantastic montage during the end credits.

I have mixed feelings about Nintendo using these two morons as part of their advertising campaign. Aren't people more likely to talk about how much they dislike them as opposed to the game itself?

andyutd97

andyutd97 said:

Lol People outside britain wont understand the hype but boy i do

I cant say i was to upset when they went out of the xfactor

dsmaster

dsmaster said:

Wow, I have no idea who these two guys are but at least it wasn't the Jonas Brothers promoting it otherwise I would have burned my copy of DQIX...

Demonic_St33V

Demonic_St33V said:

I admit it, I hate a lot of things... But these guys kinda top my list at the moment. Seriously, my Pictish ancestors would've skinned these punks alive and stuffed them into hollow logs to rot. Why? They're annoying. Period.

They're also lame... But it's the annoying D-Bag factor that kills me.... Maybe I'm just getting old......

Marvelousmoo

Marvelousmoo said:

Oh my gosh. Who are these people? I've never felt such an urge to gouge my eyes out and cut off my ears.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

I'm really annoyed at the fact that THOSE girls, you KNOW they didn't go to the event for Dragon Quest. There's probably couple or so guys in the crowd or something, but that's so fraudulent of the people to do that.

Wasn't this even for gathering fans of the games together and not entirely the fans of the people promoting it? I doubt these girls will get into Dragon Quest. Highly doubt it.

bboy1

bboy1 said:

Who the hec are these 2..? Never even heard of em and they're obnoxious as hell

KrazyKain

KrazyKain said:

I hate these guys so much... I REALLY wanted to burn my copy after watching the advert...

Machu

Machu said:

It embarrasses me that...

a) these guys exist. b) Nintendo gave them money.