Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time Remake Coming to XBLA, WiiWare

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

Good news for fans of the Turtles!

If you know anything about TMNT you should know it's their 25th anniversary this year. To celebrate, last week in New York there was an event called Galabunga. Just your average party for fans of the series, you'd imagine, but there was in fact a surprise reveal of a new game as well.

That game just so happens to be a remake of perhaps the most popular TMNT game - Turtles in Time for the arcade and SNES, although this will mostly be based off the arcade version (Which means some of the SNES-exclusive bosses will likely not be there!). Even though there's only a handful of off-screen screenshots of the game being played at Galabunga it's pretty clear that it definitely tries to capture the feeling of the original game.

The game present at the event was just an alpha build, and it was the Xbox version - But according to TMNT fan Jazon Koza, who played the game, it's also set to be released for the Wii, most likely on WiiWare. Note that we have no idea who the developer is yet - We would assume it's Konami, because they made the original, but it could very well be a different company.

Here's three more screens to get you excited:

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

[via ninja-pizza.blogspot.com]

A-SWE

A-SWE said:

OMG! Yes! Ive been hoping for the original to turn up on VC but this seams close enough :D
Oh, but if they ruin the feel of the original, im going postal

Will

Will said:

Wow! see, this is the kind of interesting stuff wiware SHOULD be used for. This would be an immediate purchase.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Wow, I can't believe this is coming to WiiWare! Are you serious?! This is great news! I never got to play this game for the SNES. I was hoping it would come to Virtual Console one day but a WiiWare remake is even better! This is the best retro news since MegaMan 9! COWABUNGA!!!:)

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

I personaly would prefer that they just release the SNES version on VC rather than this. Hopefully that's what they meant when they said they're "working on it for Wii". If that's not the plan than I'm not too keen on this remake. Something about it just looks tacky and wrong.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

WOW! Now this is one I love! Can't wait to see this one on WiiWare and XBLA.

Cheezy

Cheezy said:

Fantastic, and at least this time instead of the Wii getting the cold shoulder it's PS3.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Yes, YES!!, YEEESSSSS!!!!!!!

I've been hoping for TMNT 2 & 3 on NES and TMNT 4 on SNES to somehow, someway come to Virtual Console, and this could be even better! I loved the 80's/90's TMNT cartoon (I much prefer it over the current TMNT cartoon), and the 8/16 bit TMNT beat 'em ups are among my favorite retro games. I've never actually played this game, but if it's anything like TMNT 2 or 3 on NES or TMNT: Hyperstone Heist on Genesis, then this will be a first day download for me.

Now, if they would just remake NBA Jam or put NBA Jam: Tournament Edition on VC...

anthonyb

anthonyb said:

I'm so glad they're using the original art style and not the new one. I'm psyched! I'll be downloading this on XBLA though- I assume it'd be high definition and I love achievements. Plus it'd fit in with the original arcade which is also available.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

Awesome! :)

@post 7 Blaze
"Personally I'd rather have it appear on VC than as a 2.5D wiiware remake, remember how bad Golden Axe was in its 2.5D remake on PS2."
Yeah, but that was pretty clearly half-assed in every way you can imagine.

ALDAWGZ

ALDAWGZ said:

like i said wen bass 1st told us awesome i cant wait VERY EXCITED bout this bass u r the man

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

I'm really excited, but cautiously so. I'm concerned that the 3D art style will detract from the game. It's too bad they couldn't redo the sprites in higher resolutions rather than going 3D. (ala Street Fighter II remix) But I'll certainly be first in line to give this a try! :)

(Oh, and there had better be four player! That's the best part. ;))

xesbeth

xesbeth said:

My first TMNT experience was on the gameboy with Fall of the Foot Clan (good memories).
Since it's the remake of one of the "best TMNT ever created" (like everyone said) I will give it a try...on the wiiware only.

brooks83

brooks83 said:

I would actually prefer the original arcade or original VC game to this remake, but this is still good news, and if this one sells well (which it will), maybe theres hope for VC versions to come out.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

2.5D definitely has its pitfalls, and almost always disappoints in trying to capture the original feel, so I certainly hope that the game includes the classic game in some form, at least as an unlockable. But this is certainly great news overall.

Party_On_Dude

Party_On_Dude said:

GOD DA*N IT ALL TO H*LL!!!!!!!! :(
I DON'T WANT A CRAPPY PARTLY WIIWARE REMAKE WITH CRAPPY STYLE GRAPHICS... I JUST WANT MY OLD CLASSIC SNES TMNT TURTLES IN TIME ON THE VC!!!!! :(

NOTE TO EVERYONE:
JUST GET THE GAMECUBE GAME TMNT MUNTANT NIGHMARE & BEAT THE FIRST LEVEL TO UNLOCK THE ORIGONAL TURTLES IN TIME!!!!

I STILL NEED TO DO THAT; BUT I'M NEVER GETTING MY HOPES FOR SOME LAME A** REMAKE!!! STICK WITH THE CLASSICS!!!!!! :(

RadioShadow

RadioShadow said:

Sweet. (prays it won't suck)

Although I would rather they release the Genesis version, IMO, the superior version. :)

deadly_by_design

deadly_by_design said:

Great news, loved the original.

This post is in no way influenced by there being a beautiful girl next to the game.

SilentJ

SilentJ said:

I have a new most wanted WiiWare game now. I can't wait for this. I loved the original game!!! It hope it's released on the psn as well.

Firkraag

Firkraag said:

I played TMNT IV turtles in time to death with my friends as a youngster. Great news, as soon as it's released party at my house :D

Omega

Omega said:

I do not know the original TMNT IV. I'm not even a fan of the Turtles. But judging from the XBox pictures, it could be a really nice game. At least as far as presentation is concerned. I like it when these old fashioned bitmap-backgrounds and bitmap-sprites are replaced by 3D objects. That looks IMHO much more interesting and fits better to the 3D capabilities modern graphics processors have to offer. I think games in retro-style belong to the Virtual Console.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

These new preety much made my day. So much in fact I had to go play some TMNTIV. Amazing how good games stay good even being decades old, while we currently get less and less quality titles.

Juampi

Juampi said:

I do hope it eventually gets released on Wii, but I'm kind of skeptical...
I'll wait for the official announcement.

Tides_of_Chaos

Tides_of_Chaos said:

Why must we always have 3D graphics just because it's a remake and consoles can handle it? 2D looks so crisp and detailed compared to 3D. sigh Hopefully they release the original too.

BlueFlameBat

BlueFlameBat said:

Looks interesting, though I'd prefer something more along the lines of a slightly cel-shaded resemblance to the 1987 cartoon. And if this has Wii-Speak support, I might consider actually buying the Wii-speak peripheral. Otherwise I think I'll look in XBox 360's direction.

Lode_Runner

Lode_Runner said:

Did NOT see this coming!! I'm definitly getting this one, just hope it has online co-op :).

odd69

odd69 said:

im not going to even think about it. im just going to BUY it. this is a good deal.a remake of an already awesome game,not to mention that this is one of the best brawler games period but to make it new and improved. day one buy.

Mike1

Mike1 said:

Now these are the type of WiiWare games we should be getting, not the usual crap we normally get. Maybe this is hope that TMNT 2 might come to the VC.

jangonov

jangonov said:

I never played the original (when the snes was out my mom had a HUGE thing against games, now she plays them too!) So this will be completely new for me but I love the turtles

madgear

madgear said:

This is great news and looks like it will be my first ever WiiWare purchase!

I'm kind of glad it's a remake rather than a port. I always preferred the original arcade game to this, but I still found Turtles in Time a lot of fun. It'll be nice to play a classic TMNT game with a new twist to it. If they also release the original 1989 arcade game on VC Arcade too, I'll be VERY happy (as opposed to just being really happy).

jhuhn

jhuhn said:

I know someone in Michigan would be very excited to know about this news info.

EdEN

EdEN said:

It will probably be a disc release on Wii since 40 MB on Wiiware would mean it would have to be a 1,000 download for the "main pack" and 2 extra packs for 400 points to end up at 120 MB for all.

MrLopez

MrLopez said:

LOL I don't like the turtles, but I do have tmnt turtles in time XD
I was more of a Biker Mice from Mars kinda kid XD

ALDAWGZ

ALDAWGZ said:

@ Party On Dude
y r u so negative bout this game try something new as long as it plays like the original whats the big deal

AVahne

AVahne said:

AWESOME! Turtles in Time was one of the only TMNT games that i actually enjoyed

morphballer

morphballer said:

I think this is a good indication that we'll be seeing the arcade or SNES versions on VC pretty soon. :)

Chipmunk777

Chipmunk777 said:

Oh my gosh! This is the greatest game ever made. I hope they still have the ridiculous voices and music! KOWABUNGA! P: I still have the original cartridge for the SNES, it's great stuff. The remake looks great! Now I'm just not sure which version to get, wiiware or xbla

Kevin

Kevin said:

Cool. Never played it actually. Hopefully this means we'll be getting TMNT 2 the arcade game for NES VC. I loved that one.

flea2say

flea2say said:

im going to faint. i would like the original as well, maybe more but this will do. this was the only game i had for the snes for so long.

beastmaster666

beastmaster666 said:

any one no if turtles in time is on wii yet or wiiware or vc or if it is even coming to are wiis at all because xbox and ps3 should not even have it on there sistems there not even a part of the game. meaning it should of only came out for us wii players sorry xbox 360 and ps3 players well any who got to go if any ones got any info on wiiware or vc if its even coming or being released on wii please let me no ty if you let me no