EU WiiWare Update: World Of Goo And Lots More!

Posted by Darren Calvert

With only one week to go until Christmas, it seems that Nintendo are full of festive cheer and have prepared the mother of all WiiWare updates to ensure your holiday season kicks off with a bang.

First up with have the sublime World of Goo, what more can be said about this great game which hasn’t already been said? If you been living in a cave or something then why not check out our World of Goo review to find out more? It is the only game we have awarded the mighty 10/10 accolade to thus far! Sure it’s not the cheapest WiiWare game at 1500 Wii points but trust us, it’s worth it.

Next in the Yuletide stocking is Art Style: Orbient which is better than finding a satsuma and a walnut let me tell you! Prepare yourself for a crazy gravitational experience which is second to none. We liked it so much when it hit the USA in September that we rated it 8/10. For only 600 Wii points this is a steal.

If all this wasn’t enough for you, next we have Sudoku Challenge! People can’t seem to get enough of these taxing little puzzles, throw away your newspaper old man! The only way to play Sudoku in style is on the Wii. We rated this a competent 6/10 when it came out last month Stateside. If only Digital Leisure was able to secure the rights to the lovely Carol Vorderman then who knows how great this might have been? For the paltry entrance price of just 500 Wii points and with more Sudoku puzzles than you could play in 10 lifetimes it is surely the bargain of year!

Last, but by no means least is Bplus’ Niki – Rock 'n' Ball. Now it is no secret that we didn’t think much of Bplus’ first attempt on the WiiWare service, but let us put the past aside on this glorious day. This is the time for goodwill to all men, Christmas cheer and general merriment. At only 500 Wii points and judging from the screenshots and videos we have seen of this game, dare we say – go ahead and try it before our review! What have you got to lose really?

A mighty fine WiiWare week I am sure you will agree? This lot should keep you busy thoughout Christmas and beyond.

Related Games

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

Shut up, USA! :p

Great update, though. Much better than I expected or what we've come to be used to.

Digiki

Digiki said:

I wanted to be first guyz, :(, Niki Rock N Ball looks like it has potential

slambert215

slambert215 said:

Yay world of goo for u guys!
I still haven't picked it up yet, I need a bigger SD card first

gameking23

gameking23 said:

One all new game yay. Congrats on World of Goo. I have World of Goo and Orbient both are great games.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

can't afford it right now. unemployment and christmas mean i can't spend much at all on games right now. although if secret of mana comes next week then its a definite download. i will download world of goo sometime in january.

Shortay

Shortay said:

Fantastic update! Just downloaded Niki - Rock 'n' Ball and I'll get World of Goo later this weekend. :)

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

early 2009 doesn't look that bright for European WiiWare. Looking at whats left to be released in Europe that America already has, there is a single 8/10 game and three 7/10 games. lets hope some more 7/10 or higher games get released just so we don't have to endure fortnights of mostly crap.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Congrats on European gamers finally getting World of Goo! I can't wait to find out how Niki - Rock 'n' Ball is. :)

AngelBlack187

AngelBlack187 said:

will download this as been waiting for so so long for it to finally arrive. do wish secret of mana and drac x would get released. but i guess its just a long wish. anyway getting totally skint for cash now so have to calm it down a bit. annoying that xmas has all the games and then you have to go out and spend that money on other presents etc. kinda sucks. but merry christmas all

Killraven

Killraven said:

@Tim2g - when is it ok to pirate? i mean if someone makes a bad game, why would you want it, so no point pirating.

i am niave, and probably a waste of time, but i would hope, at least the people that attend this site are not pirating wiiware and VC games.

That all said, great week. i would snap world of goo up if i hadn't already bought it through steam. i'm eagerly waiting for reports of how niki is

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

World Of Goo has already entered the Swedish chart in 19th. Sure, by this time Mega Man 9 was already something like 5th when it was released but still, it's still very impressive. The battle for first has begun.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Wow, 4 games this week, and all of them look very good! Was it Europe's Birthday and nobody told me about it? Happy Birthday Europe!

Edit: Actually, Niki looks like crap, but still 3 out of 4 is pretty good.

Killraven

Killraven said:

coming from someone who used to pirate alot, I know it's somewhat of a losing battle, but even when i used to pirate I always played a game more when i purchased it legit.

that being said, the arguement that it's ok to steal from large companies is just plain silly. If you like a game, and would have bought it but it was easier jsut to pirate, the big companies notice less sales, meaning they then start to charge more to make up the loss, or they say screw it lets make casual games, for casuals that don't know how to pirate.

That being said I am now morally against stealing of any kind.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Having witnessed the sad fiasco that was the video game market crash of 1983/1984 there's no way I would take money away from video game companies no matter how "big" they are. I hope I never have to see anything like that happen to video gaming ever again and that alone has always kept me from pirating games.

danik

danik said:

Not a bad week at all, probalay wont get any of them to be honest lol but overall a really good week for ppl especially if you love world of goo! I wished there was 4 released every 2 weeks!

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Yay I am glad you got Orbient. Very good game if I may say so :)
Nintendo keep it up with more Art style games.

I like your point about pirating games Coribe

WarioFan63

WarioFan63 said:

You mean nobody learned theyre lesson from Dont Copy That Floppy?

Also, its like I said before, there are currently 3 articles on the main page using that World of Goo pic.
Just dont bother posting any other article screens at this point! In fact make the background of this site that World of Goo pic. Itll take care of everything.

Virus

Virus said:

Bah, plagarism is a cardinal sin to me and pirating games is close enough to piss me off. Shame on those who do it.

As for Europe, congrats guys! It great to see you guys not only get great games but also get lots of them!

Kenji510

Kenji510 said:

Excellent update EU and you guys got 4 wiiware games too... enjoy them for the holidays.. i wonder if Niki – Rock 'n' Ball is any good.. let me know guys and tell me if its fun game or not. :D

I hope we get some good wiiware games next week!

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

LOL@timp29!
I have 500 points (Niki) and am buying 2000 points (for WoG) later today, and so it looks like I'll be getting the credit card out seeing as I'm 100 points short for Orbient! Ah well... who can be sad today?

Also worth pointing out: David "DEMON212" Barber is listed in the "Special Thanks" section of Niki Rock 'n' Ball!

RadioShadow

RadioShadow said:

@Bass X0:
There is Gradius Remix which is taking its sweet due to the pile of poo releases.

• World Of Goo: One of the best WiiWare games out there.
    Art Style: Orbient: Some may like but doesn't really interest me.
    Sudoku Challenge!: Better to be done on paper but for those who love Sudoku, you can't go wrong.
    Niki – Rock 'n' Ball: Ignoring their first game, this one looks pretty good but wait for a review.
calculon

calculon said:

Totally agree on waiting for a review on Niki - Rock 'n Ball.

In all honesty I'm going to wait until after Christmas to purchase Orbient as it doesn't really light my fire in terms of gameplay. More than likely I'll end up purchasing it when we have another few weeks of poor releases.

World of Goo is much more fun on WiiWare. The PC version feels nowhere near as good imho and whilst I condone piracy in any form, I'm also laughing my ass of at the loosers who copied an inferior version of the game.

Mario_maniac

Mario_maniac said:

Yet again, Australia and New Zealand have missed out on a game... we didn't get that Rock 'n' Ball game.

Not that big of a miss, but hopefully someday we'll have caught up to Europe (SPOGs and all).

RoyOfTheRovers

RoyOfTheRovers said:

Great update, been waiting for WoG for far too long.

I fear Orbient may go a bit un-noticed this week.

Niki would probably be an instant purchase any other week, but I want to consentrate on Goo.

Sudoku blows.

Just need Sonic 2 on the sms next week and all will be right with the world.

EJD

EJD said:

A fantastic update and possibly the best WiiWare week Europe has had. I saved 2000 Wii Points just for this update, I'll be getting World of Goo for sure and possibly Niki - Rock 'n Ball if it gets a good review.

I'm unsure about Orbient and its replayability so that game goes in the maybe pile. I never liked Sudoku so I won't be getting SC.

Anyway, these games will keep me busy for Christmas, if the VC releases next week are as good as this it would be a perfect way to end the year.

slangman

slangman said:

I know I don't usually post here (only use this account for VC-R), but this is another fine WiiWare week for Europe. I might get WoG sometime time soon, the only thing that puts me off is the large block size. Wiiware is starting to get real good despite the WW library having quite a lot of shovelware titles. :)

I hope we get SoM next week.

ness

ness said:

Fantastic update, i will download World of Goo and Orbient later this day =).

@ Bass X0: Fun! Fun! Minigolf, Cave Story, Gradius Rebirth and Swords & Soldiers are all games to look forward to and which should be released in the first quarter of 2009.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Well fingers crossed the American Wii will get something decent on Monday to spread the Christmas cheer.

Then again, we'll probably get Duck Hunt with NES Pad controls making it completely unplayable.

slambert215

slambert215 said:

@ Chunky_droid
I hope we do too! I remember 06 Xmas Wii shop update was Super Mario Bros., Street Fighter 2 and Toe Jam and Earl. Maybe we'll get one just as good?

VALERHU

VALERHU said:

@ouzagaga: the best wii game is not world of goo... Top rated wii games are Zelda: twilight princess 9/10 Super smash bros brawl 10/10 Animal crossing city folk 9/10

AND they're all from nintendo.

@chunky
You can play duck hunt on the internet channel. lol

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

When I odwnloaded Orbiant (I already have world of goo) World of Goo was at number 19 in the charts. It will rise, i'm certain.

It is a good thing I remembered to read the manual for Orbiant before jumping in as I would have missed the - button map which has been incredably usful in finding the moons :)

Rexy

Rexy said:

Figures. No 8-Bit is Enough?

Thank God for World of Goo though, that was a given from last week's update. I swear, I'm going to download that game as soon as I get the chance :)

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

@ Objection_Blaster and Mr. Cheez: My comment was solely directed @ Yogurt who keeps calling Europe "France", so I call Canada "USA". ;)

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

Yeah, I was hoping for Strongbad too since WoG and Orbient were sure things anyway.

I hope NoE won't go back down to 3 WW releases now that the Art Style games are released...

xesbeth

xesbeth said:

Maybe World of Goo...someday...

But I want Gradius Rebirth....NOW!!! >_<

Let's hope it will release (everywhere!) for christmas cross fingers

ness

ness said:

@ thewiirocks (if you read this): Now i have a chance to play Orbient, and again i have to say i cannot see that any game mechanics changes in comparison to Orbital. It's still the same gameplay, unless that the graphics and sounds are better.

And it is still great :D.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

Bought Niki and just bought some points for Art Style Orbient. Will be getting a Wii Points card for WoG tomorrow when I go to town (see ya later Sonic Unleashed!). One thing worth mentioning for all the Brits out there: whilst the new VAT cuts to 15% have taken effect almost everywhere (even my mobile network is giving me money back on top ups), Nintendo still charge £5.88 + 19% VAT (£1.12) on Wii Shop Channel purchases of 1000 points. Anyone know why (other than the reason that Ninty are money-grabbing... people)?

@Starwolf_UK: at the time of writing, World of Goo is now fourth in the UK chart, below My Bloody Aquarium, TV Show King and Tetris Party. Art Style Orbient is the only other new game to feature in the current top twenty, just creeping in at the bottom spot.

Oh - and so far, Niki is pretty damn good.

WarioFan63

WarioFan63 said:

My Bloody Aquarium

Terra

Terra said:

I'm pleased with this week's releases. I wonder if we'll get anything on Christmas day again this year. Last year was DKC3 so who knows what this time.

@Wiiloveit
Great review indeed.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

"My Bloody Aquarium
Ah yes, the forgotten sequel to My Aquarium where they replaced the water with BLOOD."

Yup its called Castlevania Aquarium :P

RGVEDA

RGVEDA said:

I´ve ended now chapter 2 from World of Goo. What a fantastic game! Not frustrating, beautiful music, genius level design, sweet story and a great gameplay! Absolutely worth the 15 Euro! Really better than Toki Tori. That frustrated me sometimes...

Shortay

Shortay said:

Really great review Wiiloveit. :)

I'm enjoying Rock 'n' Ball despite its few issues, and I can't wait to download World of Goo soon.

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

I think I'll wait untill next week's VC releases before I download WoG. You never know what Nintendo could have planned for Christmas.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Okay, after having watched DEMON212's video review, I can now say that Niki Rock 'n' Roll is awesome, so the score is now 4 of 4. Happy Kwanzaa, France!

RGVEDA

RGVEDA said:

Why don´t do for all WiiWare and Virtual Console Games such Video Reviews and link it here and on vc-reviews.com with the official Trailer? That would be cool!

Vortex99

Vortex99 said:

I will punch the guy who said that "World of Goo will be released as a retail title in Europe" in the face!

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

@RGVEDA: It would also take a fair bit more time to get the video together edit it, etc.

I'm fine with writen reviews.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

My Bloody Aquarium
Actually, I'm talking about the MadWorld expansion pack here. Black and white fish with red water = trippy.

Falk_Sturmfels

Falk_Sturmfels said:

I downloaded yesterday WoG. Fantastic game. Outstanding Music. Simple, genius gameplay. And a funny extralevel (Corporation), which makes you trying the levels again and again to get these little flags on the map. I´m in the middle of chapter 2 now. Can´t wait to see the rest.

YChung

YChung said:

Have downloaded WoG after the great reviews it has had and have to say it's a great game. Music is very, very good and makes the puzzles that much more fun to play. This is a very clever game. Love it.