New Nintendo 3DS Shown Off by Monster Hunter Series Producer Ryozo Tsujimoto

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Have another look at the limited edition XL and MH faceplate

Part of the New Nintendo 3DS announcement last week was confirmation of a rather attractive Monster Hunter 4 G XL edition — Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate in the West — that sports a silver design. In addition Capcom's blockbuster franchise will have two of its own designs in the kisekae faceplate range for the smaller standard model.

Both the XL — LL in Japan — and the Monster Hunter-themed faceplates have now had another airing; series producer Ryozo Tsujimoto presented the models as part of a 'Capcom TV' broadcast on Niconico (thanks NintenDaan). You can check it out below.

Our recent polls showed that it's a close battle between the New standard and XL models for the Nintendo Life community's affections. Let us know what you think of these Monster Hunter options in the comments — which would tempt you more if they came to the West?

[via youtube.com]

Iggly

Iggly said:

If the Monster Hunter N3DS XL combo does come to the west, then you bet I'll be begging my mom to buy me it. :)

ShikabaneHime13

ShikabaneHime13 said:

This is the bundle I'm intending to import. Now if only PlayAsia or Nin Nin Game would hurry and open pre-orders for the bundle....

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I can see the new 3ds being released in the west with Monster Hunter. Makes total sense as not everyone has the cpp.

ShikabaneHime13

ShikabaneHime13 said:

@Ryu_Niiyama
No problem. Each has their pros and cons but while PlayAsia usually ships a day or so ahead of release date (With Fedex, I get pretty much everything delivered on release day) Nin Nin has slightly lower prices. The stuff is still marked up but not as bad. Though sometimes it pays to compare between them. For example, Yokai Watch 2 is almost $60 on Nin Nin but PlayAsia has the games for $49.99

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Nobody's going to mention the KISS make-up wearing pirate? No? Okay then.

I'm kind of partial to the smaller New 3DS, actually. I miss the sharpness of the screens from my XL and the face plates are pretty neat. Hope they come over to NA early in 2015, but probably won't be until spring at least.

Toaster05

Toaster05 said:

@LittleIrves I'm in agreement. As much as I love my XL the smaller new 3DS is kind of alluring with the snap on covers and bigger screen. I can see myself opting for that model over the XL this time round I think.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

And I'm sitting here, with my recently bought dream team XL and monster hunter 3 in which I need to play more since I recently started it...

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Okay, truth be told, the Monster Hunter N3DSXL (what an insane acronym) looks just gorgeous! The Kisekae for N3DS, on the other hand, are somewhat lame. Why not make a bronze or copper-colored metallic plate?

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Is this the first footage of a real unit? They look pretty nice, hinge looks solid on the XL he was playing with. Too glossy though on the MH4 unit, can't wait to see the non-special units to get a better feel for the exterior XL finish... please don't be a finger print magnet!!

ShikabaneHime13

ShikabaneHime13 said:

@TruenoGT

The XLs (or LLs in this case) seem to have a metallic color. Non LEs are Metallic Black and Metallic Blue. The MH4G is a metallic silver color given the footage. And I most likely suspect, while not metallic, the Smash Bros LL will have a very glossy coating as well

deejrandom

deejrandom said:

BigH88

BigH88 said:

If the west gets that gorgeous MH4 N3DSXL I'll buy it for sure. But either way I intend to buy the new 3ds but I hope for that bundle.

Will-75

Will-75 said:

I think it's a little shocking and bad business that they are not releaseing the 'new' 3DS till after the holidays I mean you think they would have released the week of Black Friday in order to boost sales seems really STUPID to release after the holidays when nobody is buying anything or am I the only one to think this way ?

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

I really really really really really really really hope this comes to North America. That metallic cover......I WANT IT DAMN IT.

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

That silver bad boy comes to the west and that sucka is mine! Day one. * begins praying to gaming gods *

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

It's too bad the XL doesn't have the interchangable face plates. If it did that would be a no brainer purchase.

MIDP

MIDP said:

At first I thought they meant there is a "new limited 3DS" as in a regular 3DS XL or standard but with a Monster Hunter Theme.
I expect more confusion in the future.

And to clarify, Im not negative about the new 3DS or its name, even though I believe the name WILL cause confusion, I will get one ASAP when it gets out, and I am super excited about it.

But I can imagine that many people will buy games or consoles without knowing what is what. Hopefully they find a way around that.
But even now if you go to an ElGiganten (Swedish equivalent to Best Buy...thats where Im from) the people working arent a hundred percent sure if a DS game goes to 3DS or vice versa, so just judging from my experience now, it can only get messier.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Will-75 - That was my initial reaction. Then I decided they were doing this for 2 reasons - 1, to boost Wii U sales this holiday in the west while everybody waits for the New 3DS b/c Wii U has enough problems w/o going against the New 3DS as well. (jaded I know) 2, people will buy the old/current/last gen 3DS when they see the SSB bundles even knowing the New one is coming.
But the truth is probably something boring like they can't get enough stock to the west before then b/c Japan will buy whatever they can make.

@LittleIrves - You mean Captain Ace Frehley? Hardly noticed ;-)

Nobody going to mention the little amiibo like figures? I know they can't be amiibo b/c the bases are attractive bright colors, but I thought somebody would mention them. Unless that freaky guy scared everybody away?

I really thought that "New" thing was just a place holder, but when the guy pulled the faceplate covers out and it said "new" above 3DS...
Well I'm going to hope Nintnedo comes to its sense before the US/EU release. Sony changed VitaTV to PlaystationTV for the west.

NodtheThird

NodtheThird said:

I am really leaning towards the 3.88" screen of the new 3DS. But, I really hope Nintendo will do in store demo units. I want to make sure I can live with the screen size before I plunk down my money.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@rjejr
Took the words right out of my mouth.:P

The 3DS doesn't really need the boost, and Japan likes their handhelds as much as we like our consoles. I wouldn't surprised if Nintendo is holding off so they can focus on Japan, just as Sony did the exact opposite with the PS4. Its launching with MH4U too, and you can just imagine how that will turn out. Japan loves their Monster Hunter.;)

Will-75

Will-75 said:

@rjejr you are probably right I didn't even think about Wii U sales here ., which is a shame cause I love my Wii U I've read that Nintendo updated the browser on the new 3DS I hope it's as good as the Wii U's and like most comments I've read I also dislike the name 'New Nintendo 3DS' they could have did so much better than that I mean even the Nintendo 3DS-2 sounds better than that . LOL .

erv

erv said:

I want the monster hunter n3dsxl in europe. That's the bundle I will buy.

Volmun

Volmun said:

im really hopeing that we (UK) Get this XL id love to have my 1st New 3DS to be a Monster Hunter one (as its probably my favorit non Nintendo franchise)

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

@deejrandom said: "Anyone know the exact size of the New regular 3DS screen? I read 1.2 times bigger but i'm unsure how big that is."

That means 20% bigger in total screen area. The dimensions for the new model are 3.33 inch (84.6mm) width; 2 inch (50.76mm) height; 3.88 inch (98.66mm) diagonal.

Here's a comparison pic: Untitled

BF-Medic

BF-Medic said:

@Frapp Great picture! I've been looking for something like that.
It's gonna be hard to decide which to get, though I'm leaning against the smaller one...feel my XL is not that portable..but my old 3DS was kinda small..

Phle

Phle said:

Well, I think the small one is the cutest one, but I want the XL because of the bigger screens. So the small one will probably not be an option for me anyway. I love how you can switch covers though, too bad the XL won't be able to do that. I like this Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate XL version. If I get the choice to choose this at the EU launch of the new 3DS & 3DS XL I might get it.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Will-75 - "I mean even the Nintendo 3DS-2 sounds better than that"

They should call it the 3DS 3 since they already came out w/ the 3DS-2, AKA 2DS. Unless XL was the 3DS 2 and 2DS was 3DS 3, then this is 3DS 4. So maybe they should just call it 4DS (like I've been saying the past 8 months) ;-)

I really wish they would call "SSB for 3DS" just "SSB 4", that's for sure.

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

Oh my... That XL looks amazing. Nintendo's promo shots looked nice, but after seeing this video, they just don't do it justice. I would really like to get that system in a bundle when MH4U is unleashed on the west next year.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Zombie_Barioth - I'm almost never serious, I'm pretty much incapable of ending a sentence without one of these ;-)

In regards to new 3DS sales and X1 sales - I'm guessing that's what you'r referring to, it's been a very long day with way too many posts on my part - yes it was a joke. X1 looks like it sold about 2 dozen today, and they wont be able to keep new 3DS MH bundles on the shelves.

If you mean 4DS, I like 4DS better than "new 3DS". And "SSB for 3DS" sucks as a name as well. Seriously this time, both names suck.

c1pher_c0mplet

c1pher_c0mplet said:

Even though the standard New 3DS will have interchangeable face/back plates, I wonder if Nintendo will still find a way to tick people off by not offering certain plates for the standard New 3DS... I mean, if it's possible to switch plates on the fly, doesn't that mean you should be able to take any of them off and apply them if you wanted to?? Hmmm...

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@rjejr
The former. You were misding your trademark ;) so I literally couldn't tell. I suspected as much though, but with the lack of expression and this being the internet and all, you never know.;)

And yea, Japan doesn't really like Xbox, but it does have a cult following apparently.