Art: This Young Artist Makes Awesome Hyrule Warriors Masterpieces

Posted by Darren Calvert

Only 17, ridiculously talented

Nintendo's treasured characters are often translated into fan art, but rarely with such talent as demonstrated by UK-based Polaara; at only the tender age of 17 she has amassed quite the awesome portfolio. Dare we say her latest two drawings inspired by upcoming Wii U brawler Hyrule Warriors rank among her best to date — and that's really saying something.

First up we have the new look Hyrule Warriors Link. Polaara captures Link's revised character design perfectly with her watercolour pencil skills; his flowing blue scarf has never looked so vibrant.

Here's a YouTube speed drawing so you can get a flavour for how she achieved this.

Next Polaara creates her rendition of Princess Zelda, sporting her new badass Hyrule Warriors armour. The Hylian princess never looked so good.

The YouTube speed drawing for Princess Zelda is a treat to watch too.

It's worth checking our Polaara's gallery, linked below, for more Legend of Zelda franchise drawings and plenty of others inspired by other sources.

Are you impressed by Polaara's drawing skills? Which character from Hyrule Warriors would you like to see her tackle next?

[via polaara.deviantart.com]

LUIGITORNADO

LUIGITORNADO said:

They are extremely talented and all, but it looks like a copy. I'm not that impressed by copies.

Sapphire

Sapphire said:

@LUIGITORNADO The Mona Lisa is a copy. People seem to be impressed by that. In fact, most famous paintings are of actual people or actual landscapes. It still takes a huge amount of talent even if you have a reference

ModestFan93

ModestFan93 said:

Would be more impressed if they could draw another character in the style if Hyrule Warriors instead of looking at what's there already and copying from official artwork. Still nice looking.

Iggly

Iggly said:

This art looks very amazing, I definitely can't draw at this level myself. Though I would love this art even more if it was in unique poses instead of being exactly like the Official Artwork. Yes, we all use references but even then we usually tend to have the art looking completely different from the original source. Overall I love this art despite my nitpicking. :)

Chubblings

Chubblings said:

This art is impressive. On a related note though, the first review of Hyrule Warriors has been released by Famitsu. It achieved a score of 36/40, with each reviewer giving it a 9/10 (Although don't be surprised if it doesn't get 9/10 in the West).

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Big whoop. I'm 17 and I drew this when I was 16:
Untitled
This has a MUCH greater level of detail than these portraits and even has my own stylised take on the source material, unlike these print copies of another image.
Lemme put it like this, there are Artists (people with taste and talent) and then their are Devianartists (people with who can draw really really well)

Nintendo6400

Nintendo6400 said:

I drew this yesterdayhttps://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzSSoNAojQPp-m7
And it only took me 20+ hours. I wish I could draw that fast...and with such little trial and error. (I know the video was sped up)

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

They're good, especially with the shadows. But she needs to improve on the shaping end, since both Link and Zelda's face look a bit too round and asymmetric. Nice nonetheless.

@PvtOttobot Looks very unique and stylish, gotta give you that. Your picture looks almost like a concept painting, like those shown in artbooks. Kudos to you!

KTT

KTT said:

@PvtOttobot Keep in kind those are traditional pieces. While I'm not impressed with them that much (they are good though), it's quite hard to achieve certain effect in a traditional art, and with color pencils it must have taken hours. For a 17 years old it's a decent level of skills.
@LUIGITORNADO By copying many artists learn. Study is kind of copying. You copy from a rea life or from photos. Without studying you can't go far in art. You have to have references all around you and practice constantly. But here you are kind of right, those portraits are copies of some official images (I think), but still, they are very well done copies.

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

I want to swear. I'm 16 and an aspiring artist, and I could NEVER draw like that!! I still can BARELY draw a human figure, much less color and shade them with such mastery! GOD!! I hate my curse of no talent!!!!!

Every time man, I get on the FREAKING internet to look at artwork and somebody is eighty-seven times better than me, and my exact age. (usualy younger)

Spectator

Spectator said:

Looks good, the artist has the potential to develop their own style in the near future.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

I actually don't like the term "talent" at all. I call it skill. She more than likely spent years developing her skill as an artist. Talent implies something you either have or you don't and that determines if you can be an artist or not. That's the way art was presented to me when I was a kid and so for all my life I thought I couldn't draw. Here I sit almost 31 years old and a few months ago I started taking lessons and practicing lot. In that short time I've gone from thinking I couldn't draw anything at all to drawing recognizable objects, and characters, with clothing and unique hair styles.

My art is still very rough and I have a long way to go before I could do drawings like this. For everyone in the comments saying "I wish I could draw like that," let me assure you, you can, you just need to put forth the practice and dedication to learning how. So I say lets praise this artist not for some natural talent, but for dedication in developing the skill. For keeping at it even when drawings weren't coming out the way she wanted and learning from the experience.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Oh yeah, I also do pixel art, for my game development:
Untitled
all of the sprites/backgrounds are mine.

B3ND3R
KTT

KTT said:

@Yorumi "For everyone in the comments saying "I wish I could draw like that," let me assure you, you can, you just need to put forth the practice and dedication to learning how. So I say lets praise this artist not for some natural talent, but for dedication in developing the skill. For keeping at it even when drawings weren't coming out the way she wanted and learning from the experience." I couldn't agree more with you. This is exactly what you need to do to be good at art. It may take years, but you will get there.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

@KTT I always recommend sketching in pencil, then going over the pencil in black ink, then shade using a very light pen.. At least that's what I did (in my pictures above), I felt that shading with the pen added a nice depth to my drawings..

KTT

KTT said:

@B3ND3R I recommend studying the Color and Light, practice anatomy, drawing from life and filling one sketchbook monthly with studies and gesture drawings.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

About copying, most artwork is actually copied. Portraits, landscapes, etc. the artist is copying what they see. It doesn't really take away any of the skill and technique to use a reference image.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

@LUIGITORNADO That's how people learn by copying not by tracing though.By looking at a picture and just drawing it.One more thing you must be an amazing artist if you're not impressed by this, cause i'm guessing you can make an original drawing of zelda link right friendo?

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Nice dedication to precision and shading. Tons of problems all over with dimensionality. Strange foreshortening and shading. Link's elbow looks like it's going in not out. Zelda's forehead looks like it was dented inwards with the crown digging in deep where the center jewel is and the spike even indenting the center of her head. Her necklace is digging into her chest on one side.

Those are the types of problems that come from copying artwork rather than life... and just lack of experience in general. Lots of nice areas of color and mixing two tones and staying away from black for shadows so it doesn't get muddy. This artist is experienced in technique at least.

Learning to make your own artwork is going to be a mixture of copying what you see both directly and from your imagination BUT it's also understanding how to abstract that into lines or whatever medium you are using.

So copying and seeing how others accomplish those goals is defnitely recommended, but learning how to imagine it all in 3D and be able to draw it in your own style with an original composition is not only more fun, but is the kind of rewarding skill that people will pay you for. :)

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

@KTT @Yorumi
Hmm... everyone can draw better, but certain intrinsic traits are going to make it easier for some people to become great at it. I want to say, "if it feels like work maybe it's not your thing" but getting better takes way more practice than most people realize so you have to keep that in mind.

I do think that everyone should doodle and draw and try out different styles of art. Art is the skill of abstracting for communication. It's valuable in just about every field of study. Even if it just feels like silly fun, make it a habit and give it some attention.

Also, if you have the desire and it's fun definitely keep at it and seek out structured learning from a book or classes. Don't let someone get you down because of where your current skills are.

There have been many that persue a skill that they have no knack for or real desire for that joylessly and tirelessly train until they can do it. Chances are that person could be a lot happier and effective focusing on something else, though.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@aaronsullivan some people "get" some things better than others all the time. My problem is art is presented as just something you either get or can't do. I am absolutely shocked at the progress I've made in art after only a few months. I'm a programmer, my mind is all logical/mathematical, and yet even I was able to learn with just a few simple lessons. I would say I spend only 5-8 hours a week drawing typically.

Not everyone is going to be one of the supreme masters of art studied in text books or seen in museums, but then again not every computer engineer is going to discover the next revolutionary algorithm or new chip that creates a paradigm shift in computing. I believe anyone, barring physical/mental problems, can become a professional artist. Yes even people who hate drawing, they're just not likely as they won't put forth the effort the practice and learn.

The mentality of "talent" related to art is what kept me from learning to draw for 30 years, and now that I've discovered that I actually can learn I love it. I was told all my life I just didn't have any creative "talent" when in reality the problem was the utter failure of our public school teachers. I personally think talent plays only a minor role in art, it's practice and dedication that are what really determines who can and can't be an artist.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

@Yorumi
I see your resistance to the word talent and I understand it. People do have traits that make them better at other things than others, though. The problem is in what people do with that knowledge.

You had teachers that not only failed to recognize your abilities and desires but actively discouraged you from persuing them. That's irresponsible and frankly they failed at their job. That's the real issue in my view.

I had something similar growing up. I had a series of art teachers that just ignored me despite having a lot of promise. I really didn't realize it was happening until I had a couple teachers in high school who started to see what I could do and it was so refreshing and encouraging.

As a programmer though, I'm betting you are creative and you certainly can tinker at something until you get it just right. You are also able to study something for minute details that are out of place and work at a single problem for hours. These are all skills (talents?) that are useful to an artist.

I'm glad you are persuing it and enjoying it now. It's never too late to start!

I also program --teach it for a living even-- and illustrate and I just started learning guitar. My problem is that I've persued so many things that I want to just focus on mastering something. (animation, game design, music composition, screenwriting, storyboarding and layout, too.)

Anyway, I think you are right that praising someone for talents they have is the wrong focus and tends to make people feel like they can't do something similar. Praise people's hard work and diligence, instead.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Call me spoiled by the internet but all I see when I see non digitally drawn/finished art now is imperfection.

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

Definitely looks cool, but I'm not interested in following their gallery because it seems like they mainly upload art with scenes copied straight from references.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@aaronsullivan it's not even so much that they failed to recognize abilities, I had no ability to draw in school, my "art" was exactly the kind of stick figures and lumpy hideous shapes you'd expect with no experience. The problem is the way in which art is taught. They typically say something along the lines of "find a picture you like and draw it" or "draw your pet or family member."

The problem is those with a more innate ability to draw will make a decent looking picture and the rest of us with make hideous lumps and just assume we're incapable of drawing. The moment for me came when I was doing lessons and I wasn't told "here's a picture, draw it," but instead "here's a picture, now I'm going to show you all the steps necessary to draw it."

I didn't have the motor control initially to make it look at that great but the first image that came out was better than anything I'd ever draw in my life, one simple lesson. By the end of a week's worth of lessons I was looking at what I had made with my jaw pretty much on the floor in disbelief that I could do something like that in such a short time. The lessons were so easy any elementary school child could do them and get similar results.

It's why it gets me so mad at all the wasted potential. Any kid can do it, and it honestly made me feel like a kid again as I eagerly showed my drawings off to my family, it was like running home from school "mommy mommy look what I learned to draw today." I know not every kid will love it, but it would certainly help if they were drawing things that looked like actual art and felt they really could learn something.

@DarkKirby I love the way colored pencil looks, the grainy nature of it makes it look organic, yet when you step back it seems to have almost a surreal quality.

k8sMum

k8sMum said:

@Sapphire
The Mona Lisa is not a copy. Using a live reference doesn't make the artwork a copy. A copy is when an already completed piece is used as reference. Is is loads easier than drawing/painting from life: the work of making it 2 dimensional is done and it's much easier I copy from.

I am a selling artist, mostly of potraits. This girl's work is good. I do question the originality.

@yorumi

I work in coloured pencil. The graininess is a choice of the artist, the paper used etc. I sometimes work on slate and they go on like butter. She relies on stock colours a bit too much, imo. Coloured pencils are translucent. I have at times used 30 layers of colour to get just the right shade.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@k8sMum I've only really seen colored pencil on paper so it always has some minute graininess to it. Right now my biggest struggle is in layering. I can put down maybe 3 layers before it it stops working for me, specially with lighter colors. Still I'm figuring out things more and more each time I draw something and so it's all part of the learning process and i just need to practice more. Heh, not expecting to be a master in a few months.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

kinda have to agree with the few that said about copying straight from the reference pic... if you have that skill(also dont like the word talent btw) then you should be able to draw the character in your own pose and apply the same skill of coloring to it as well as a background

saying that i think there are others in deviantart that have that originality that would be nice to give them a mention too...

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

@PvtOttobot i like that pic/drawing you posted it does look amazing only prob i have is that top right hand corner seems something is missing or needs some dark grey in there :P

hylian-pudding

hylian-pudding said:

They have nice skills with colored pencils but they're honestly doing themselves a disfavor if they only copy official artworks instead of trying to come up with something from their imagination.