One Classic Mega Man Game Is Coming to Wii U Every Week in August

Posted by Alex Olney

A Mega Man in every North American home

Update:

The Capcom Unity blog has now confirmed the titles that will be included in this August promotion (thanks to Ryan Millar for the heads up). The release order is remaining a mystery for now, but the following four games are all coming to the Wii U eShop in the next month.

Original article:

Those in North America who have been keeping their eyes on the Wii U eShop my have noticed the long-awaited appearance of Mega Man Battle Network in this week's Download Update. Alongside this was some even more exciting news.

The announcement was made earlier today:

If you like Mega Man, then you’re in for a treat - a classic Mega Man game will release every Thursday in August in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U!

There's no word as to which exact games we'll be seeing, but with a library as vast as Mega Man's, four more titles will be extremely welcome; it's a neat follow-up to the Mega May promotion on the 3DS Virtual Console earlier this year. Even if Mega Man's not your bag, no one can deny that an addition to the eShop of this calibre is a good thing.

So far this has only been announced for the North American Wii U Virtual Console, but if it should spread to other territories you can be sure we'll let you all know.

What Mega Man games would you like to see on the eShop in the coming month?

jordanmarsden

jordanmarsden said:

Just finished playing through Mega Man X (which was incredible), so these will be a welcome addition to my gaming library.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

They should just rename the WiiU virtual concole to the "Classic Mario and Mega Man library."

Not that this is a bad thing, but we don't get a lot of variety. I'm expecting at least 1 if not both of the other Network games, and then just more of the X series.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

Why the hell are Nintendo not taking advantage of the fact most Wii U owners have a hefty library of VC games that we would upgrade? If Capcom are doing a better job on VC than Nintendo, something is wrong.

AG2014

AG2014 said:

X3, 6 and 7. Is 5 even on the u vc? If not, then add in 5. But PLEASE NO MEGAMAN AND BASS!!!!!

audiobrainiac

audiobrainiac said:

Nice, but hoping for more X games and others (like the Xero collection), hopefully on 3DS someday. I have dreamed a dream....

outburst

outburst said:

MM7 and X3 on Europe and MMZero series. My eShop credits is ready Capcom! I know you want it!

BLPs

BLPs said:

Let me think....we didn't get the collections until Zero Collection. We didn't get MM6 until last year. Nah we aint getting this.

The_Meat_Shield

The_Meat_Shield said:

My predictions (the weeks are probably wrong)
Today: Battle Network
Week 1: Megaman 5 and 6
Week 2: Megaman Zero
Week 3: Megaman Battle Network 2
Week 4: Megaman 7 or Megaman and Bass

Montegarde

Montegarde said:

@Nintenjoe64 You've posted two comments on this article, and I agree wholeheartedly with both of them. I can't tell you how badly I want to be able to play Super Mario RPG on my GamePad! And YES YES YES to MegaMan 64!

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

So I can bank on there not being any Virtual Console games that will interest me for the new few weeks. At least I can continue working on the backlog.

Krambo42

Krambo42 said:

@MegaManEP3

Yep, it makes the most sense to me. All of those games were announced for the VC, and they are the only ones that have yet to be released in their respective series.

It's exactly the games/order I'd want to see, too.

ghasfarost

ghasfarost said:

@AG2014 Mega Man 5 is not yet on WiiU... My guess is:
August 7th - Mega Man 5
August 14th - Mega Man 6
August 21st - Mega Man 7
August 28th - Mega Man X3
I guess Battle Network 2 will wait a little more since we are just getting the first today, so perhaps on late September or early October?

ikki5

ikki5 said:

So... instead of releasing them in a bunch like they did for Europe... they are going to spread it out so they don't have to release anything else.... awesome... At least this might mean we will get more titles

KingCreezy

KingCreezy said:

@Xilef I can only find it listed as Q4 2014. I'm not sure if that's just a generic placeholder until an actual date is announced or not.

I enjoyed Mega Man Legends a lot so I'd love to see the Mega Man 64 port get released eventually.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

Well Battle Network is the first.
I'd assume the other two that came out in Europe last week are to follow.
After that?
While 7 is likely, I remember X3 getting decent consumer response on the Wii, so who knows.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

It's ignorant for a European website to ignore the 3 MM games from last week while wondering if this is 'coming elsewhere'. Just saying.
Ufouria vs 3 MM games and you're still acting a bit entitled.

AcesHigh73

AcesHigh73 said:

I'm a big fan of (most of) the Mega Man games, but more than anything else, I'm really hoping for Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana to make their way to the Wii U's VC service. Hands down two of my absolute favourite third-party SNES games.

JoakimZ

JoakimZ said:

Awesome, I'm so happy they show Mega Man some more Virtual Console love :)

I hope the Mega Man Zero series also comes out soon, because I would love to play them again with the button layout changed so I can dash with the A button instead of L. It was so stupid that the Mega Man Zero Collection for Nintendo DS didn't have customizable controls, because that must have been a really easy thing to include.

AcesHigh73

AcesHigh73 said:

@JoakimZ You're absolutely right, it can be incredibly frustrating when your favourite game(s) fails to offer an option for customisable controls — or at the very least, an alternative layout or two. For me, Mario Kart 8 being a perfect case in point. Why can't I use ZR to accelerate?!! Sooooooo frustrating!

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

You know, it's fine that they're glorifying Mega Man, but they could also release a few more other VC games per week.

2Sang

2Sang said:

Good news. How about a few for the 3ds? Perhaps they could reboot that megaman legends 3...but maybe I'm asking a little too much there lol.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

X3 and 7 are the missing pieces left for little old Muppet mullet moizy. :*
I haven't played X7 and X8, nor do i want to. I like to think as the X series ending with X5....That was Inafune's intention, but those doinks at capcom went on with X6 without him and it shows....

As for the Zero series, still need to play 2-4!

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

Mega Man X3! Mega Man X3!! Mega Man X3!!!

I put up with that PS1 version of X3 [on the MMX Anniversary Edition] with all its animations, which were cool. But, the music for it was ok. I especially HATED how the 1st stage intro stage was super watered down on the PS1 version. Now we will get the original SNES unadulterated version of X3!!! I CANT WAIT!!!! :D

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

@WaveBoy "1st- I like your picture. It reminds me of a simpler time. 2nd- I totally agree with you about X5. That would have been a true emotional & wonderful ending to the series. At the same time...I'm glad we got X6, 7 & 8. If they didn't, we wouldn't have things like:

-Command Mission [The Mega Man X RPG game]
-That awesome X6 soundtrack
-Axl in X7 & X8
-X being so obnoxious in X7 and saying things like "Are You Mad?!"
-The Fire hyena boss in X7 that clones himself and when you're fighting them he says "Burn! Burn to the ground!" as they are throwing fireballs at you.
-Fighting Sigma's final form in a 3D atmospheric space as if it were Star Wars in X7...
-Awesome X8 soundtrack
-Being able to use Shoryuken in the Ultimate Armor with and without fire & Zero being able to use the Ryu/Ken Hurricane Kick in X8. It's crazy but awesome!

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

Sigh, now the next 4 weeks of VC will all be Mega Man... I like Mega Man, I bought 2 and X, but they're all very... Samey. FLAME SHIELD UP

At least release them all in one large batch!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@whodatninja 2/X/X4 (Saturn version the magic is lost in the other versions) and maybe one more classic one (Ideally the best of 3/4/5/6) would be enough for me as well.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

Looks like more NoA VC laziness. 5, 6 and Battle Network were released on the same day in EU and I wouldn't be surprised if 7 and X3 will be released together as well for that region. I'd like to be surprised and NA gets something special alongside but I really doubt it'll be anything other than 1 VC title per week out of 5, 6, 7 and X3.

joey302

joey302 said:

No doubt you will only see one mega man game a week with NO other vc releases along side them cause god forbid we get 2 vc games in one week!!

Grimlock_King

Grimlock_King said:

I enjoy megaman games but, capcom should bring gargoyles quest 2 and demons crest. Sooner rather than later. We just had mega may the other megamans can wait.

Grimlock_King

Grimlock_King said:

Kinda sucks knowing these will be the only vc games for august. With some weak indie games for company.

ExHaseo

ExHaseo said:

Stoked about all of these, except for Battle Chip Challenge. BCC was pretty terrible. Personally, I think it's the worst Mega Man game out there. I would've much preferred Mega Man 7, Mega Man and Bass, Mega Man Zero, Mega Man ZX, or a main series Battle Network game. Basically, any other Mega Man game.