Here's a Handy Guide to Pokémon Services That'll Stop With Nintendo's Wi-Fi Shutdown

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Sad times

As switched on DS and Wii owners likely already know, a number of Wi-Fi services will be shut down on 20th May, with high profile examples being the loss of online play in Mario Kart entries on both systems and other examples such as Super Smash Bros. Brawl. For Pokémon fans, meanwhile, the impact on those last-gen games could be relatively significant.

In order to ease any confusion over what aspects of Pokémon games will be lost, Serebii webmaster and Nintendo Life contributor Joe Merrick has produced a handy guide showing what events, battles and distribution features will be lost when the Wi-Fi service is shut down. Check it out below.

Online services are always liable to be closed down as the years pass, though the unique circumstances of these Wii and DS online features disappearing — likely prompted by host Digital Spy shutting down at the end of May — make this a particularly disappointing scenario for gamers.

Will any of these lost features be missed by you after 20th May? Let us know.

[via serebii.net]

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

In before someone complains about the overused Pikachu image.

Oh wait, I think I just did!

lividd3ad

lividd3ad said:

I hope there comes a day when that Pikachu image is used for every single article on the site. Whether it's a happy article unrelated to Pokémon, I don't care. The age of Pikachu must begin.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

I just found it funny that we had 2 articles within an hour that both used the Pikachu image, except one was the happy Pikachu and one was the sad Pikachu! Perhaps NL is adopting a new picture system, where good news is depicted by a happy Pikachu and bad news is depicted by a sad Pikachu? There will certainly be a lot of sad Pikachu's when it comes to Wii U articles. ;)

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Just making sure about something here since the image with the list isn't loading for me, the Pokebank and Transporter will still work to move pokes from Gen 5 to 6? And the transporter in Black and White that allows you to import your Gen 4 mons?

Olmectron

Olmectron said:

@Knuckles The list doesn't say aything about PokéBank, so it must be still okay. For the Gen 4 -> Gen 5 transporter, it won't shut down, most likely because it is a local feature (offline).

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

@Olmectron Thanks, I thought that transporter used the internet for some reason.
Edit: Thank you as well Unca_Lz. I know the bank will still work, but was making siure that the PokeTransporter that moves Pokes from 5-6 would still work. I assumed it would still work, but we all know what happens when someone assumes something.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

The only thing about this that makes me sad is that there are still people out there thinking Nintendo is doing this to try to force them to upgrade to 3DS/Wii U. :P

millarrp

millarrp said:

the only one on that list I still have is pokemon conquest so it wont effect me much.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Seems like a good place for this question -

Will Netflix, Youtube and Hulu Plus still work on the Wii? I'm putting a tv in my kids bedroom tomorrow but we don't have a way to hook it up to tv yet - we're outside digital signal range and I need to drill some holes for a cable box wire - so I told him he could get by w/ those online services.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@HADAA - Thanks. Was going to suck if Youtube went away, my kid is addicted to Minecraft mod vids and game walkthroughs.

PS4

PS4 said:

Wait what?!?! you can donwload that shaymin mission? D:

I thought that mission GTFO'd a long time ago.... I'll have to find my copy ASAP when I get home and attempt to DL it...

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

SHAMELESS GTS PLUG!
In case anyone's wondering, I'm doing some very good trades with the Black & White GTS as long as I can still do them.
Look for Rayquaza, with a "from Italy" filter. You're in for a surprise: give away a good, level 70-and-up Pokémon, get a black, Master Ball-holding wyvern!

allav866

allav866 said:

For goodness' sakes, guys, why must you remind me of the first time I cried in a theater?!

HopeNForever

HopeNForever said:

Many of the older Nintendo DS Pokémon games require a connection to an open router, or a router with WEP security. People who use a router with WPA security lost their online connections long ago, unless it is possible for them to change the security or they own a Wi-Fi USB Connector.

Getting a Wi-Fi USB Connector right now may be wasteful option though, and I certainly cannot change the router security protocol due to technical reasons. Good thing I no longer need to bother with online options in the older games.

Porky

Porky said:

If Gamefreak cared, they would release all Wifi pokemon events and the mystery gift pokemon from long ago for the last week of wifi..

Iggly

Iggly said:

By the looks of that list, it looks like every Pokemon game that isn't from Gen 6 will have their services shut off(Pokedex 3D and Dream Radar don't count as they're from the eshop). It's a shame as I loved using those features, especially Gen 5 unless I am wrong and I didn't notice one or two features that aren't affected by the shutdown.

Squid

Squid said:

If the Pokemon Bank/Transporter will continue to work, will I still be able to transfer Pokemon from, for example, Platinum/HeartGold to Pokemon White so I can then transport them to Y?

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

@Squid
Yes, you will: Generation III (Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen) to Generation IV (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver) and Generation IV to Generation V (Black, White, Black2, White2) transfers all require local play (dual slot gameplay in the first case, wireless play in the second), while Generation V to Generation VI (X, Y, OmegaRuby, AlphaSapphire) transfers, while using an internet connection and requiring DS games, happen via *3*DS apps such as the Pokémon Bank and the Pokétransporter. So you're on your own until Generation VI once the previous GTSes stop working, but you're still able to do all the transfers you could ever need to do.

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

Battle Revolution Online would have been cool if they banned legendaries. Doesn;t matter because that Electivire can still take them all down in one hit.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

good thing i finished using all those a few years ago, got a full dex in soulsilver trading growlithe's and vulpixes using the wii to tell me when the trade went through, good times

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Perhaps the sad Pikachu can be replaced with that melodramatic Krystal in tears running away image form Starfox command.

I guess the Jam with the Band downloads are a feature that will be missed (but that has a potentially limited shelf life anyway due to licenses). Also Wario Ware DIY since that literally is half the game.

@warvad Private servers are fully working? I thought it was only Mario kart and needed you to patch the game.

Squid

Squid said:

@AlexSora89: Thanks for the information! :) I figured the Gen III-to-IV/Gen IV-to-V transfers would be safe but I have too much at risk so I had to make sure. D: