Weirdness: Now You Can Transform Your GamePad Into A Racing Wheel

Posted by Damien McFerran

Well, why not?

With Mario Kart 8 on the way, it should come as no great surprise to see peripheral makers attempt to capitalize on the renewed interest in racing titles, but Japanese firm CyberGadget has come up with the most unusual idea yet.

Its Handle Stand fixes to your desk and allows you to clamp the GamePad in place, effectively turning it into an F1-style steering wheel.

For those who prefer using the Wii Remote, there's a special attachment for that, too.

The device comes out next month in Japan and will retail for 4,298 Yen — which works out to about $42 / £25 / 30 Euros. Is this something you'd like to see come to the west? Or do you already have enough pointless plastic attachments from the Wii era? Let us know with a comment.

[via kotaku.com]

Sparkyboy6

Sparkyboy6 said:

I thought using the Wii Remote to steer in Mario Kart Wii was a good control scheme, so I think this is a good idea to use the GamePad in the same way.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I will take one as soon as Project C.A.R.S. comes out! Will be nice to be able to drive and use the game pad screen as a dahsboard for the car information.

SilverArrow

SilverArrow said:

$42 for plastic? Eh, no. I rather use $5 and get the original Wii Wheel, thank you very much. v_v

MamaLuigi

MamaLuigi said:

The hugeness of the Gamepad pretty much eliminates the need for any extra wheel attachment, so I'll pass.

MrCanzine

MrCanzine said:

I'll use my Wii wheels thanks. Doesn't seem like an overly bad idea, but it doesn't appear to actually add any extra functionality aside from keeping the wheel in a fixed position.

I wouldn't mind if Nintendo had one of those force feedback wheels with gas/break pedals though, my friend had one for Xbox and it was kinda cool, though it had to be bolted to his table, good arcade experience.

ulven

ulven said:

I'd like to see something similar for drawing
of course without the turning

audiobrainiac

audiobrainiac said:

For racing simulation i like it. Like Project Cars. Now if it does anything like the Force Feedback for Gran Torismo then its TOTALLY worth it. The Force Feedback felt like real racing wheel resistance.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

I would like it as I keep my Gamepad in it's charger on a tv stand right in front of my tv that I could set this stand up on. Too expensive though. 15 bucks at the most.

Action51

Action51 said:

I heard an interesting take on these peripherals and motion controlled steering on a game related podcast recently.

They mentioned that kids seem to like the Wii wheel, because they don't actually drive a car, and don't expect resistance and the boundaries of an actual motor vehicle steering wheel.

These peripherals seem to offer that natural resistance and physical boundary that adults and teens who drive cars will come to expect.

I like it!

BinaryFragger

BinaryFragger said:

Interesting. I'm not a big fan of racing wheels (except the Logitech Driving Force Pro, which is expensive but worth it) but would like to try this one out if it makes its way to North America.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

Not so good for wheelies and stunts in MK..

I am surprised there weren't more of these and even a flight yoke thing for wii. I would use it if I could use the balance board for pedals but I'd still find a traditional controller easier. Definitely better value than my PC racing wheel which stopped being supported after XP.

Ultrasyd

Ultrasyd said:

They could have made something better looking. Just a piece of black plastic ... no.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

$42? NO. $20? YES.

If they come out with an attachment that ACTUALLY has pedals and brakes, I'll pay any money they ask for it. Imagine the possibility! The Gamepad itself is the steering wheel, gas and brake pedals to replace the stupid digital triggers, and we have the touch screen for on-board car controls. I'm I the only one who is fantasizing about these possibilities?

WiiULoveSquid

WiiULoveSquid said:

It would not work. I would rip the whole thing off whatever it was sitting on to rapidly twist the gamepad. It's a terrible invention and at a terrible price.

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

I doubt that it would be $42/£25 if released outside of Japan as it's never just a straight conversion. I would guess $25 -$30.

It would be worth $42 if it had analogue pedals though.

element187

element187 said:

$42? I'll wait for a copy cat version for half that... Mad cats usually replicates everything for a cheaper price

micronean

micronean said:

This device wouldn't be so bad if it were real quality (force feedback, clutch, pedals, etc.). But for a plastic mold, it's pointless.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

I never understood this. Who plays console games from behind a desk or table?

These barely work with computer desks. Especially considering most of the world uses laptops now.

xerneas

xerneas said:

I think that seems pretty good provided it turns well and all. I'd love to use the wii wheel but I hate the fact that you need BATTERIES for the wiimote... ugh.