Veronica Mars Star Kristen Bell Reveals Her Former Love for The Nintendo 64

Posted by Martin Watts

As well as Mario Kart and other classic Nintendo systems

Actress Kristen Bell of Veronica Mars fame used to be a huge gamer according to a new interview she recently gave in Empire magazine. And it would appear that she had a soft spot for Nintendo systems, especially the Nintendo 64.

"You know, I used to be [a gamer] so much," she told the magazine. "When systems first came out I was all over regular Nintendo [the NES], Super Nintendo, Sega, N64. My N64 was the only thing I couldn't live without in college."

If you're wondering why Bell is referring to her love of gaming in the past tense, it's because she sadly doesn't have time for it any more, as a result of her busy career and wanting to spend time with her family.

"Into my 20s I still played a lot of Mario Kart but I kind of just tapered off and now I find that I have too much to do in real life to sit down and explore a videogame."

With that said, Bell hasn't severed all ties with gaming; recently she voiced the role of Lucy Stillman in the Assassin's Creed franchise.

Have you moved away from gaming as a hobby as a result of a busy lifestyle? Do you think you've lost anything as a result of it? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via film-news.co.uk]

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

My wife and I are about to have a baby in the very near future. Chances are I'll be spending less time with a controller in my hand, but I have kept most of my games and consoles from the last 2 decades. I'm very much looking forward to down the road and playing all of these games from various systems with my child as it grows up. Can't wait, really.

Gigagator

Gigagator said:

I used to be an avid gamer when I was in school and doing A-Levels. Spent more time gaming than studying.
Sadly, real life does hit you square in the face and having a full time job, gaming takes a back seat and it's something I only do now if I have any free time, which is fairly rare.

she_gamer

she_gamer said:

It practically stopped after my baby was born, but now that she sleeps 12 hrs a night I'm catching up. I still don't get in near as much time as I used to, but that's probably a good thing.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Well, this is the beauty of Nintendo consoles for me. SO many great ways to play with your family as the kids get a little older.

All that hardcore hours and hours of game playing died a quick death when we had our first child, though, yes. I wouldn't trade it though. Games offer rewards for pseudo-accomplisments, but raising a family can bring the reward of true accomplishment. It would be a sad thing to favor the one that gives you so little at the expense of the other.

dAvecaster

dAvecaster said:

Swings and roundabouts. Tapered off with children being born. But is now starting to come back. Playing Plants vs Zombies with my daughter (9 years old) is cool. No substitute for playing real board games or imaginative games but, at times, is a nice alternative.

NorthLightSuplx

NorthLightSuplx said:

They can bury me while still clinging to my 3ds and when they lower me in the ground I want them to play the sound the green pipe makes when Mario is entering it.

MamaLuigi

MamaLuigi said:

I always thought Frozen's Anna was a big Nintendo fan. ;)

PS There's a Mario Kart parody of "For the First Time in Forever" somewhere on Youtube, but right now I can't find the link.

kensredemption

kensredemption said:

She's never been sexier to me...but yeah, a busy lifestyle would hamper my gaming addiction. However, with the way things are now in the gaming community - splintered and segregated amongst the fanbases - I just can't turn my back on it. It's my dream to bring a platform brawler the likes of SSB and have mascots from all three titans of the industry together, and their fans along with them. NWU v PS4 v XBO players... -Sigh- You'd think that hyper-competitiveness would goad the fans into beating the crap out of each other online, yet some backward, degenerate trolls try to stop me at every turn...

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

Life gets busy yup but I have always made time to at least play the latest Zelda even when I've stopped gaming everything else. Stopping gaming for some years also drastically changed my tastes when I came back to it.

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

I sometimes wonder if I will play games for the rest of my life. I'm getting increasingly busy, but the excitement I feel when something cool is announced and when I play it makes me feel I'll play forever. I hope there's always time for a little gameplay for me.

And I absolutely LOVE Kristen Bell. I hope she gets more good movies to work with, she is very talented. Doesn't hurt she is also adorable in real life.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

It shouldn't be surprising that as time goes on, you would have less and less time to play video games because of college, work, family, and life in general. College alone has cut down on my play time, but I still find the time. I don't see myself ever completely abandoning video games.

Giggity55

Giggity55 said:

The day that I completely lose my gaming time is the day the world ends. I don't care how much time college or work takes up, life without gaming would be impossible to go through.

A1234

A1234 said:

n64 in college? wow, she is younger than me. I had snes in college, couldn't live without. no time to play games? come on. that is what casual games are for. video games are good for the mind, body(?) and soul.

Melkac

Melkac said:

I hope Nintendo gives her a 3DS and makes her appear in some commercials...
In fact, I think Animal Crossing/Tomodachi Life is the perfect game for her.

NavySpheal

NavySpheal said:

@LtAldoRaine I've always wondered that as well. When I hit college and get a career going, not to mention kids, it will dwindle down a lot. Hopefully I can convince my child to like gaming as much as I do now. If anything, I'll be set when I retire.

OmegaStar

OmegaStar said:

I hope she sees Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. (especially the latter) to see how far her heroes have come. Mario and Sonic in the same game!

Sir_JBizzle

Sir_JBizzle said:

@MeddlingIdiot haha @NorthLightSuplx would practically have to be dropped! Lol. While the warp pipe sound is cool, I'd rather have the game over theme from the original Legend of Zelda ;-) http://youtu.be/bYVuOr52Ni8

On topic: Career keeps me so busy, that I hardly get to play at all anymore. I do manage to squeeze in about two hours a night generally on my consoles. The 3DS is a godsend, being the fact that I can still enjoy quality gaming away from home. As busy as I am, it still doesn't stop me from getting the latest games/consoles. The unfortunate downside is that I have a HUGE backlog of games I need to finish!

nilcam

nilcam said:

Gaming is my main hobby. It's also one of my wife's secondary hobbies. We're not having kids so there's lots of time for gaming, both solo and as a team. Couch co-op is the best!

Cinaclov

Cinaclov said:

It's scary how real life sneaks up on you. When growing up I had loads of free time but relatively little money, so games got replayed endlessly or traded in for new ones; I couldn't even hazard a guess as to how many times I've played through the pre-Twilight Princess Zelda titles. Whilst I haven't sold a game in years and can still afford to buy almost everything I want new, I have barely any time to actually play them. I bought myself a PS3 at the start of last summer, and since then I've completed one full retail title on the console. I sometimes wonder if it'd be worth just giving up on everything for a bit and just spend days catching up on my backlog...

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

I think for a lot of us the gaming will slow down and maybe even cease at a point. But the prospect of kids will probably jettison us back into gaming.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

When i look back at college, for me it was all about the DS Lite, game cube , the major hype train surrounding the revolutionary and exciting Wii, IGN's Glory days with Matt Cassamasina & Mark Bozon and the birth of the Angry Nintendo nerd. :P Great times, yet I seriously wish i could blast back to my early 20's though and do a lot of things differently. Not in regards to the stuff i mentioned above, but other choices i made and usually letting my anxiety get in the way of several other things i wanted to do.

Anyhoo, my gaming has slowed down during the past 2-3 years(i haven't played a 3DS game since october, ahem Luigi's Mansion 2...I was all over the 3DS during it's first year or so hwoever, OR even the Wii U yet outside of Wind Waker HD at my local Best Buy) not that i want it to at all, but i just find myself getting too distracted, but it's mainly because i've been putting up with this never ending(7+ years running) auto immune disorder that's taking control of what i need to do. I find it hard to focus a lot of the time.

Time to make a change, which means getting back into the game, of the pixel variety and creating more of a balance in me life' and not letting this issue of mine take center stage. yargh maytee!

Excep7ional

Excep7ional said:

@kensredemption That's an awesome idea. Kind of remind me of a dream I had a couple years back when I wanted Sony, NIntendo, and Microsoft to all work together to create some mega console. Of course now I know that would never work.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

As you get old you have to make choices on how to spend your spare time, which may be more or less depending on your career choice, family life, etc.

For me gaming is the last hobby I would sacrifice.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

I still play quite a bit but after the marriage and my daughter, the RPG's have turned into quick runs through Mario or Kirby, maybe a few hours on GMod if I got time to myself at night.

I'm still finding time to sludge slowly through DK64 only because I never had the chance when i was a kid. I honestly have found a lot to love about my 3DS because of my busy schedule.

Dezsi

Dezsi said:

One must not let his career, family, children, whatnot to interfere with practicing the noble art of playing video games. :D

element187

element187 said:

I gave up gaming when I turned 25 as I concentrated on my career. After getting married I came back to gaming as me and my wife have opposite schedules so I needed a time waster for while she was at work.... Besides, she plays Facebook games anyways, so I might as well start playing Nintendo/PC again.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Kristen Bell is extremely attractive, and just appears to be a very good person overall. With that being said, she did voice Lucy but it wasn't recently. It was in AC1 and AC2 Trilogy.

As far as my lifestyle... my gaming has slowed down since having a family and working full time... but it will never go away. My wife and kids play games, so I'll play games with them as well as solo. It's something I've always done since I was four years old, and something I'll continue to do until I die.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Only think I have knowingly seen with her in it is Unsupervised which I thought was quite funny.

camerica1618

camerica1618 said:

I didn't know Kristen Bell used to be a gamer. That's awesome. I loved Anna in Frozen. I'd love to see her voice Anna again in a Tangled/Frozen crossover.

Mommar

Mommar said:

@FJOJR This is what happened with my brother, it all but stopped once he was working and married. Then along comes my Nephew and suddenly Lego Marvel Superheroes has pulled my brother back in with him. I had no idea a four year old could be so fond of Stan Lee.