Renegade Kid Releases Early Gameplay Footage Of Cult County to Boost Kickstarter Campaign

Posted by Liam Doolan

Focus on visual effects possible utilising Unity on stronger systems

Cult County is a project that's been received enthusiastically by Nintendo fans since its inception last year, knowing development is in safe hands with the team behind the award-winning Dementium series and critically the acclaimed Mutant Mudds. Just over a week ago, however, the title previously confirmed as a 3DS eShop title was launched on Kickstarter as a multi-platform title utilising the Unity engine, covering home consoles (including Wii U), PC and Vita, with the 3DS currently sidelined as a potential but unlikely stretch goal.

Renegade Kid’s campaign continues chugging along at a steady rate, with co-founder & director Jools Watsham today releasing early gameplay footage of the first-person survival horror game via his Twitter account.

The trailer itself is a 4 minute and 30 second glimpse of the mysteriously engaging atmosphere within Cult County. Watsham provides some insightful commentary, jokingly noting the build is “pre pre pre alpha,” and discusses Renegade’s overall approach to the game’s environment, whilst showing off a few basic mechanics such as running and jumping.

Enhancements to atmosphere include effects such as dynamic lighting and dusty wind – which will both play a big part in setting the mood – along with the game’s toon shading. Combined, Renegade Kid hopes to offer a more foreboding and dramatic game environment; the soundtrack also seems to be coming along nicely.

At the time of writing the campaign has passed $30,000, but has a long way to go in the next 22 days to reach its target of $580,000; you can learn more about it in our interview with Jools Watsham that was published alongside the project's launch.

[via kickstarter.com]

ToniK

ToniK said:

Slightly reminds me of Red Steel 2 which is awesome. It's a pity they won't reach their target unless something miraculous happens. I would really want to see this happen!

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

@readyletsgo
EDIT: 14.50€. Looked it up :D

The engine looks pretty neat imo.
Eager to see how it'll develop, but I guess we'll have to wait for the kickstarter to finish - or more importantly..to succeed.
I really hope, they're able to do it.

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

This is looking unlikely that it will get funded which is a real shame as I'm a fan of Renegade Kid and Jools Watsham...

Game looks cool too!

HappyHappyist

HappyHappyist said:

really looking forward to this game. really like the atmosphere, and i'm especially interested in the lore. this gameplay feels really good to me, i enjoyed watching Jools play around with the game in early development.

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

That's a ginormous goal for this project, it'll need one hell of a push to make that.

Personally, I'm not interested in the genre or even the game. I've never played Moon Chronicles or the Dementia series (plan on picking up Moon for 3DS when it releases) but dropping their 3DS support probably killed a lot of the buzz Cult County had going for it. That's a huge chunk of gamers they just dropped, especially when considering their other games are available on 3DS.

MAB

MAB said:

You can see why they dropped the 3DS version though... It just wouldn't be a good game on that underpowered device ;)

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Project goal was way over ambitious. Looks like they're gonna have to rethink their strategy.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

As someone else said this reminds me of what red steel 2 would look like in HD
However I can't see the wii u getting the funding and ultimately will probably end up being terminated. Shame coz it looks really nice graphically however the character holding the wrench looked a but ropy, there could have been more detail and also when he went next to the bar pub wire he just went through it. Hopefully if they get the funding that will be improved
Good luck to them

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

I'm am buying this day 0, what ever the price. My Wiimote arm is itching for more things to shoot!

But, even if the resolution is vastly higher, it doesn't give me an impression of much more impressive looking game compared to the 3DS version. Actually 3D would have made it more impressive looking for me.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

How is it that crap like this would be allowed on any system let alone nintendo system's?! I refuse to support crap/shovelware like this. :(

Why can't we have christian video game's on nintendo systems as opposed to this garbage (cult county) ?

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

MAB

MAB said:

@dumedum Revelations wasn't a open world/town and was only made up of short corridor levels with not much going on within those confined spaces... The difference between what they showed of Cult County on 3DS before and the HD version now is like night & day ;)

Pod

Pod said:

Their graphics methods are right up my alley in that they're quite old-school, but achieve exactly what they want for the look.

Action51

Action51 said:

This is very cool, a high profile full 3D game like this could propel renegade kid from being an "Indie" to being a legitimate AAA developer.

I like that the game isn't super realistic, but instead has something of an artistic flare that makes you not care about number of polygons or teraflops.

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

@MAB
Cult County doesn't seem to be that open game either, and HD consoles also didn't make night and day difference even in the "closed corridors" of the Revelations, despite 3DS having to draw everything twice for 3D.

gatorboi352

gatorboi352 said:

@Varoennauraa "and HD consoles also didn't make night and day difference even in the "closed corridors" of the Revelations"

That was more or less due to a half ass porting job by Capcom. I'm currently playing thru Revelations on Wii U and man, it looks rough. Like a first year Xbox 360 game or something.

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

@gatorboi352
I also think, that it looks like Renegade doesn't have resources to make Cult County a looker either, and I get early XB360 impression from this at best as well. In fact, even half ass Revelations port looks better at this point. It probably gets a bit neater as development goes on, but usually it doesn't change too much.

Anguspuss

Anguspuss said:

what stops me backing any of these is the simple fact have a donation section where you get the wii u or 3ds code instead of pc one if it reaches the goal. At least then it would be worth backing for us Nintendo gaming leapers

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

@faint

I'm allowed to state my opinion just the same as any other gamer on this website. I happen to disagree with the game. :(

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Varoennauraa More importantly he cannot be trusted. Absolutely nothing he has said he was going to do recently he actually has. (Rest of the levels for 3DS Mutant Mudds / Treasurenaughts / 2 ported FPS's all Q1 not a single one happened).

Mus1cLov3r

Mus1cLov3r said:

"Hey, let's announce a game for the 3DS and then start a kickstarter featuring all systems but the 3DS."
-Renegade Kid

Mus1cLov3r

Mus1cLov3r said:

@Barbiegurl777 That game isn't crap... On another article, TBD was defending you because someone was making fun of the games you play, but now you're putting down on games others enjoy? SMH.

AG_Awesome

AG_Awesome said:

I would 100% buy this on Vita. I'd also buy an HD remake of dementium 1 and/or 2 on the vita. But I just can't invest money in something that may not happen. Sorry to the devs but they have a guaranteed customer when/if anything comes out. Can't wait for Moon 3ds

1337man1233

1337man1233 said:

@Barbiegurl777 people could say stuff like that about barbie seeing as it is reinforcing the negative effects of the media toward young girls that's not very christ like so lets just let people play what they want to play without criticism

faint

faint said:

@Barbiegurl777 stating that a game looks bad or isnt fun is at home here. this is the place for that but not the place for religion. you can find other sites for that.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

@Everyone

FYI People make fun of my games on here quite a bit & I try to be the bigger person by saying either ''Not Interested'' or ''Pass'' but have had enough. If people on here can talk about the video games I play then it should be equal opportunity for me to talk about other games as well. It work's both way's not one sided. I'm not defending something that blatantly goes against my religious beliefs as a christian. Just not happening.

All I was saying is if they can make games with the occult in them like ''Cult County'' then they should be able to make games with christian theme's in them as well. It work's both way's also another fyi if you look at the cover for cult county its a picture of a pentagram which is a symbol used for those who worship satan. I worship Jesus Christ & God not the devil. :(

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Klimbatize

Klimbatize said:

@Barbiegurl777 "If people on here can talk about the video games I play then it should be equal opportunity for me to talk about other games as well. It work's both way's not one sided."

So much for turning the other cheek.

dumedum

dumedum said:

@MAB revelations is not corridors. It had many environments like snow and water and looks much more beautiful than this

Shambo

Shambo said:

Sadly, I regarded this as the Dementium 3 I'd never get (after already having to import the second game) and despite really wanting to see it succeed, I have high doubts :( maybe should've sticked to 3ds...