Play: Mario Kart 7 with Nintendo Life - Training for MK8

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Now we're getting serious

Earlier this year we revived the Nintendo Life Mario Kart community event, enjoying some shell-throwing hijinks for a number of hours. It was fun, of course, and we can only apologise that it's taken us a little while to plan the next instalment.

But still, let's do this. Mario Kart 8 arrives on 30th May and we intend to host plenty of events once it launches so that we can share the fun — assuming Communities are included again, of course. We have Mario Kart 7 to keep us going until then, which is just fine, and it gives us a chance to sharpen those reflexes and tighten up our racing lines.

As before we'll have a Battle room available, but it's all about the Grand Prix racing. Normally we give a vote on what rules the room will follow, and "All Items" always wins, so in the interests of satisfying the majority but also catering for those that want a purer race, we'll host two Grand Prix rooms. One will be All Items, but we want you to vote on the other. Don't say we never shake thinks up! Cast your votes below.

Choose Your "Specialist" MK7 Grand Prix Community Room (106 votes)

NL Goes Bananas (Bananas only)

30%

NL Bob-ombs Away (Bombs only)

22%

NL Pure Racing (No items)

48%

Please login to vote in this poll.

In another tweak to our usual formula we're going to take the lead from our Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate community event and race at a time that will hopefully suit gamers from North America and Europe. We're taking the action to the weekend, with a planned start on Saturday 15th March, beginning at noon Pacific / 3pm Eastern / 7pm UK time / 8pm Central European time.

We'll post a reminder article on the day with the community room codes, in which we can also praise and smack talk each other in the comments between races. Get some practice in.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I hope MK8's arrival means the end of NLife MK7 games!

I voted for no items, a nice alternative to all items :)

PadWarrior

PadWarrior said:

I'm not good at this game yet but this would be fun to play in. I'll see if I can make it.

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

I votes bombs! But I wouldn't be on till around 4 hours later.

NL MK 8 will be prime

GamerGleek47

GamerGleek47 said:

I don't know, taking away the items from a Mario Kart race just wouldn't feel like Mario Kart. So I vote for Bananas since it is the funniest item!!

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

i hope i will have time on saturday. started playing mk7 a bit a few days ago.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Do you guys play for several hours? Because I cannot play at that time but around 3 hours later.

stupidpupil

stupidpupil said:

Love this game but am I the only one who has trouble dragging/holding items? I feel like the pressure you have to hold on to either item button messes with how I hold the 3DS and I end up letting it go or steering poorly :c

bouncer0304

bouncer0304 said:

Hope when MK 8 comes out that MK 7 won't be forgotten about. I'm excited but still love my handheld!

yokokazuo

yokokazuo said:

Not sure if I'll be able to go online this Saturday, I will probably be a little late if I can.

idork99

idork99 said:

@stupidpupil I used to have the same problem but just got used to it. More so with my 3DS but not so much with my 3DS XL.

Thanks NL! I love playing MK7 with everyone here and look forward to racing with the community once again ;)

SilverArrow

SilverArrow said:

Meanwhile, you guys can join my brand new communities!

Power Cup: It's 150 cubic centimeters with all items! Here's the code:
01-7824-3570-9780

Super Cup: It's mirrored with mushrooms only! Here's the code:
18-3910-7424-3454

Webby-sama

Webby-sama said:

I have two birthdays on Saturday to possibly deal with but for the sake of fairness I may have to make sure they both get an equal share of my time by giving them no time each and instead joining in on the Karting fun.

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

Pure racing (No items) is for skill.

I am hoping that most people are not luck reliant on Bananas and Bob-ombs...

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Even though I was going to vote no items I realized it would be boring to win so easily ;) so voted for bob-ombs to give people a fighting chance plus it seemed more fun.

Inkling

Inkling said:

Bring it on! :)
For now, you can join my community:
Pro Cup: Mirror Races with No Items!
49-5038-1733-7597
See you there! :)

LunarHalo24

LunarHalo24 said:

I feel like having no items would make things boring, not because it would be easier, but because there would be nothing going on. Voted for bob-ombs, since you do have to aim those correctly in order to use them to your advantage.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

Might try the specialty room regardless, I was playing a few weeks ago and was annoyed by the rubber banding the items provided.

Any hope on a purely random items option in MK8? :(

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I really wouldn't care if there's items or not, if I manage to play Saturday. I'll just have to see.

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

i havent got this game yet but i used to love playing the old one. fred meyer is having a buy 1 get 1 half off sale and i'm probably going to take advantage of it to get the new yoshi game and i'm not sure what other game to get. maybe i should get MK7. is the online multiplayer really that good? worth getting over luigi's mansion: dark moon? or shin megami tensei IV even? i dont have any racing games yet but i think i was holding out for f-zero

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

Augh. I hate working weekends! Sure I could bring my 3DS between breaks, but there's no wifi.

idork99

idork99 said:

Also, since I know I asked this last time and you guys said it was okay, I took the liberty of making announcements on my Miiverse account about this. The more racers, the more fun IMO. We Should all make the announcement on all of our Miiverse/Facebook/Twitter account/s! :p

BenAV

BenAV said:

Wait... so this is in a little over two hours?
Guess no sleep for me then.