Extended Nintendo Network Maintenance Scheduled for Later Today

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

And then Pokémon X & Y extended maintenance on Sunday / Monday

In a move that's raised our eyebrows to Toon Link levels, Nintendo has scheduled extended Nintendo Network maintenance that will affect Wii U and 3DS services later today in North America, which represents the early morning in Europe. With a Nintendo Direct broadcast some hours before this 'Extended Maintenance', it leaves us hoping that the two are related.

Below are the details with times for North America and Europe:

From Thursday, February 13, 9pm Pacific / 12am Eastern / 5am UK / 6am CET to Friday, February 14, 2014 12am Pacific / 3am Eastern / 8am UK / 9am CET
Affected Services:

Wii U

• Online Play, Rankings, etc.

Nintendo 3DS

• Online Play, Rankings, etc.

Also worth noting is that there'll be extended maintenance to the online services of Pokémon X & Y at the weekend / early next week, details below.

From Sunday, February 16, 2014 5pm Pacific / 8pm Eastern / 1am (17th February) UK / 2am CET - Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4am Pacific / 7am Eastern / 12pm UK / 1pm / CET
Affected Services:

Nintendo 3DS

• Online Play, Rankings, etc. for Pokémon X, Pokémon Y

Is the Wii U and 3DS network maintenance related to a Nintendo Network announcement? Our optimism may be crushed in just a few hours, but until then we'd like to think it is. We'll know soon enough.

[via nintendo.co.jp, nintendo.co.jp]

rjejr

rjejr said:

Has to be a coincidence. ;-)

DKCTF demo. Though I'ld prefer MK8 its probably too soon. Maybe a DK demo could be the beignning of all major Wii U games getting demos this year. Seems like 3DS gets a bunch. Couldn't hurt.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

That Pokémon maintenance is kinda long. I hope something good comes out of this.

TDS_Computer

TDS_Computer said:

New interface? Better connectivity between the two shops? Having it on the same day as a direct does make ones mind wander..

ToniK

ToniK said:

Hmmm.... interesting. I'm too tired to watch the Direct live (it's midnight here then) but first thing in the morning ;)

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

They are going to add stickers to more games, some of the older ones. Won't be anything major.

Not allowing hype to overtake me. Must be realistic.

allav866

allav866 said:

@ToniK You n' me both, sister, but it's noon here. I'm a vampire, though, so my sleep schedule runs a bit differently. Either way, I'm gonna do my best to stay up, so when I wake up tonight I can watch the Direct again to convince myself it wasn't a dream.

MaximusMansteel

MaximusMansteel said:

All this excitement, then comes the Direct: Iwata says sorry for the inconvenience, but we have to make minor bug fixes and performances issues. Then my head explodes with frustration.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

I going to assume this is just routine maintenance and not go crazy speculating.......not.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

I can already see the disappointment when it turns out to be a coincidence and nothing else. And frankly, there most likely isn't going to be much behind it Nintendo wouldn't announce earlier.
Going by that, we can (most likely, not definitely) rule out 3 possibilities:

• unified account system (sorry, @kyuubikid213)
  • Pokémon value rating system to prevent GTS trolling (too quick, they'd give them enough time to withdraw their Pokés beforehand)
  • Any kind of extension towards WiiU/3DS functionality like cross-purchase, new functions, usual stability and security improvements (that would require a System Update, not server maintenance)
Savino

Savino said:

Things I´ve learn in my 30 years being a nintendo fan:

Never, NEVER, get to hyped for any nintendo announcement!

(ok, 29 years... get my first NES in 1985!)

Lord

Lord said:

Could be to collect the Nintendo network I'd information so they can start the distribution of the super mario delux codes. 13th-28th feb.

King47

King47 said:

I like to keep my expectations low so I'm surprised rather than disappointed. But I hope this is a good thing.

sevex

sevex said:

Accounts that aren't locked to the console on which they were created!?!?! Pleaaaaaase!

MrPokirby

MrPokirby said:

@WingedSnagret
Well, seeing as how the last time this happened, we got Pokemon Bank, I'd believe that.
(Speaking of Pokemon, I've been meaning to trade you something if you haven't seen my posts yet. Let me know when you're able to trade)