Feature: A Week of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Screens - Issue Twenty

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Trophies! Springy Ropes! Dedede! More stuff!

Masahiro Sakurai and his team are, we hope, well rested after a short break at the close of 2013. The New Year is here now and, once again, Sakurai-san has taken to the Super Smash Bros. Director's Room on Miiverse to share screens of Super Smash Bros., and we'd suggest that it's continued its strong recent form.

Last week brought us two notable reveals, with King Dedede announced as a challenger, and confirmation of system-specific trophies between the two versions. Beyond those headline details are some other interesting tid-bits from Sakurai-san, in which he explains more about some environment and character-specific moves.

Last week's visual treats are below, and as always you can click on the date heading to visit the Miiverse posts in question and give them a Yeah.

6th January

7th January

8th January

9th January

10th January

So that's another week of images for the new Super Smash Bros. games. Let us know what you think in the poll and comments below.

What's your favourite Smash Bros. screen this week? (405 votes)

Saria chills out as a (possibly animated) trophy

12%

Zelda brings some power with her side attack

17%

Mario's 'chunky' build helps him to gain some spring

16%

The Shy Guys go for a relaxing drive on Rainbow Road

20%

King Dedede says hi

30%

Um, I can't decide

To be honest, I don't like any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

Yosher

Yosher said:

For me it's the confirmation of Trophies! I loved collecting those in Melee and Brawl, and I since Dedede was my worst character by far I wasn't all that excited about his return. Still, his reveal comes second this week for me!

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

King Dedede says hi, and I say hi as well, it's almost as if this is density or something. Also Kirby's trying to say hi as well, well too bad pink puff, because this is the Kings moment to shine..........of saying hi!

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

I picked the shy guy pic but it's neat that the ropes in the boxing ring actually stretch if you are on it.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

I know people are going to vote Dedede because he's the "reveal", but as a Sakurai made character along side Kirby, it'd be surprising if Dedede was actually cut. Meta Knight wasn't exactly popular for being SS tier, but it'd be surprising if he was cut, for the above stated reasons.

Long story short I voted for Zelda's new attack animation in hopes she isn't bottom tier or "that character you pick to use Shiek" AGAIN.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I voted for the ropes, as I love when you can use the stage to do attacks.

And this (last) week had two 3DS screens!

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

Every post from last week were pretty good, especially the one with Mario on the rope.

erv

erv said:

The rope jump seems original. I wonder if I can spike people into the bottom there?

CatMarioUltra

CatMarioUltra said:

What if Finn and Jake were announced for SSB4? I know it sounds weird, but it's just a thought. If not, Mordecai and Rigby or Rayman would be cool too.

thesilverbrick

thesilverbrick said:

Voted for the springy ropes because it confirms the return of Zelda's oft-hilarious "farewell" taunt.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

King Dedede, who else?

The Shy Guy pic is further proof that the Rainbow Road track will be like Port Town Aero Dive from Brawl, but the Shy Guy racers will be a lot slower than the F-Zero cars.

I also hope that there will be plenty of trophies to collect in both versions of Smash.

K-Gamer

K-Gamer said:

As much as I love Rainbow Road, it's not for Wii U, so I chose the rope one as I like wrestling.

ningeek185

ningeek185 said:

I just hope that the Rainbow Road stage isn't too small for battle, and that the Shy Guys don't take up most of the stage.

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

Man it would be epic if Shadow the Hedgehog makes it in. I don't think that he would be a clone because he can punch and kick not like Sonic and throw chaos spears. His final smash can be a random chaos move like chaos control, chaos blast, and chaos shadow. In chaos control Shadow can take out a chaos emerald and yell "chaos control!" and then everyone around him can be moving in slow motion and Shadow will be the only fast one. In chaos blast Shadow unleashes an explosion knocking out everyone around him and in chaos shadow he just turns bright red and becomes invincible.

Silverfox117

Silverfox117 said:

Still annoyed that Little Mac and Captain Falcon have not been announced yet... Still, I like the screens so far, Voted for Saria :)

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Ahh so hoping that Nintendo of Europe announces the release date for Kirby soon.

First day perch that one, yes indeed.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

King Dedee's face has gone from looking like a lifeless trophie in Brawl to a lively cartoony sack of fat. i love it. :*

LightSuitGuy

LightSuitGuy said:

Nothing too exciting this time around.

Of course Sakurai brings back a character he created. I only wish he looked more how he did in Return to Dreamland; plump and cutsey rather than large and awkward.

Anneke

Anneke said:

is the rainbow road also coming to the wii u or is it 3ds exclusive? i would love to see it detailed on tv!