These Refurbished Nintendo 64 Consoles Go The Extra Mile

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

And cost some extra coins, too

While many may be gearing up to play the latest games and systems this festive season, some may dig out some retro goodies to amuse over the Holidays. For those busting out a Nintendo 64, it may also be an occasion to bemoan its ageing looks; each year takes that new console shine further and further away.

There is a small but popular market for refurbished consoles, of course, examples of which we've shared before, and one company now revamping the Nintendo 64 is Lëkki. It's offering systems with attractive new exteriors — in colour options orange and white, blue and white, green and white as well as yellow and white — a controller and a copy of Super Mario 64.

These units may look lovely, but they are costly — our resident Nintendo 64 collector and expect Martin Watts described the asking price as "extraordinarily high". The current asking price is €120, that's roughly £101 / $164USD; even with a copy of the game and a controller, that's high compared to the cost of an original system. You're ultimately paying for the refurbishment work and appealing new look, though it should be considered that shipping costs will also add to the price.

What do you think of these? Would you ever splash the cash on one?

[via digitalversus.com, lekki.fr]

Stu13

Stu13 said:

You can have this lovely machine shipped right to your door for less than half the cost of a 'next-gen' system. And no worries as to whether it'll ever have an impressive catalog of games, because you already know that it does. You'd be a fool not to buy one.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I still prefer their SNES designs, but oh so expensive... still worth it.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

rip off. if you really want a custom N64, get one from the extraordinary Zoki64... not cheap but worth it.

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

I sent mine to an eBay seller who does custom paint jobs and it only ran me about 50 bucks. Looks amazing, too.

josh64128Staff

josh64128 said:

They look lovely but... I'd much rather get a boxed clear blue console! Now THEY are timeless!

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

I got a N64 about a year ago now off eBay with a few games, but if I was looking for one now this might have been what I would have went for, simply because finding a controller with a functioning analog stick is a giant pain.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

THey are nice but I have to agree you are pretty much paying for the paint job. Still if I had the money to burn I would get one.

Tuurtledove

Tuurtledove said:

They're actually rather lovely looking. Simplistic and humble. And without the usual gold-plated sparkles and additional vanity that usually come with such "refurbished" consoles. It's a system I may actually consider purchasing sometime, assuming they'll still be refurbishing years from now

technotreegrass

technotreegrass said:

I'd buy if the controller was modified so the analog stick is modeled after the analog sticks of systems that came afterward. My Gamecube launch controller analog stick is still in fantastic condition after a decade of use; my N64 analog sticks crap out after a year, making it impossible to play Goldeneye and World Is Not Enough effectively.

PaperLucario

PaperLucario said:

I like the look, but thats way too much money to shell out for just a paint job, especially when you can easily find a normal one on ebay for 30 dollars these days. Not even the rare Pikachu ones sell for that much unless it's in the box or comes with a ton of games. Atleast it's not like shelling out $5,000 on a golden digital frying pan.

bluecat

bluecat said:

Very nice looking, but I'm good with the classic grey N64 I already have.

CureDolly

CureDolly said:

Actually I think the form-factor of the N64 makes it about the most stylish console ever made, and I am not sure the two-tone paint job does it any favors.

xj0462

xj0462 said:

i might get one if the price lowers and/or they add a white and red color

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Are these N64s NTSC or PAL? I see nothing with regards to region on the website, although I suspect it's PAL territory being from Europe.

julienpoo

julienpoo said:

Would be cool if it includes the RGB mod... does it ? It is not mentioned on the characteristics

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

Kind of cool but I don't like white games consoles, if they had a black and blue or black and red snes I would be all over it

DRLAdmin

DRL said:

I dig it. For some reason I'm drawn to the orange and yellow models, though. I even like the green. Dang it, they're all sweet!!

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Nintendo 64 Creamsicle Edition. I dig the White & Blue. :*
Either way, i don't like modded consoles, i'd stick with the original Black version.....That's if you could even force me to play on an 64. :p

MegaWattsAdmin

MegaWatts said:

@Stu13 couldn't have put it any better myself!

I think the price is just a little too steep. If they were NTSC machines then it'd be a much better investment!

mjc0961

mjc0961 said:

Well I already have a working N64, and those are ugly as sin. So nope, not going to buy one.

Jr-Joe

Jr-Joe said:

The Nintendo 64 and Sega Dreamcast are two of my favorite game console designs.

WitchSugoi

WitchSugoi said:

If I had the money, I sure would buy one. Our clear red 64 no longer works so need a replacement anyway and these are really cute! Wouldn't mind having one of their modded SNES to compliment it as well. :)