Sega's Free-To-Play Racer Initial D Perfect Shift Online Is Coming To The 3DS

Posted by Damien McFerran

Based in the hit manga and anime series

The latest issue of Famistu magazine has revealed that Sega is bringing the latest in its long line of Initial D games to the 3DS.

Based on the long-running manga series — which has been adapted in both anime and live-action forms — Initial D Perfect Shift Online is a free-to-play offering which apparently involves selecting the correct gears during a road race. According to the magazine, the car steers automatically.

The chances of a release out of Japan are slim given the nature of the license, but Sega's previous Initial D games have found a small but passionate audience in the west.

No screens are available at present, so to set the tone here's a clip from the Initial D anime instead:

[via nintendoeverything.com]

Jstar269

Jstar269 said:

Sweet. A free to play game on 3DS. What other titles are also free to play on 3DS?

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Dem kids with their fancy cars. They're gonna end up in a head-on colission if they keep driving on the wrong side of the road...

I don't like F2P games, but I'll probably try it once just for kicks if they ever bring it over.

GunstarHero234

GunstarHero234 said:

INITIAL D is one of my best manga and anime hell yes for Free to Play for 3DS but hell no for the automatic steering and correct shifting RPG option crap sigh.....Oh well back to my Initial D Extreme Stage import on my PS3.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

It doesn't sound like my type of game (auto steering?!) but as it's free I'll give it a go. That's if it leaves Japan of course...

AVahne

AVahne said:

Sounds too much like those really simple mobile and Facebook games where you basically don't do much besides navigate a menu.

GloryQuestor

GloryQuestor said:

Oh, YES! I loved Sega's arcade version of Initial D, so I see this being something I might get day one if it ever makes it to NA. :D

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

"According to the magazine, the car steers automatically."

lost all interest in the game xD

TheGZeus

TheGZeus said:

"a free-to-play offering which apparently involves selecting the correct gears during a road race. According to the magazine, the car steers automatically."
Sounds great. -_-

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

One of my favorite anime series. I will be checking out this game for sure when it comes to NA.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

If it looks nice, has upgrades/customization, and finds a way to make the simple gameplay fun, I'll give it a shot. It IS free after all.

Wolf_Link

Wolf_Link said:

Well, I haven't played any initial D game, but I have seen the animé and it's great! The music used in the races really sets the tone!!! Besides, I'm a passionate race driver!!

HaNks

HaNks said:

automatic steering? fail. won't see the light of day outside of japan either. really need something to scratch that ridge racer itch now that series is dead.

Gioku

Gioku said:

Free to Play? Cars steer themselves? No thank you...
The only game that should have cars steering themselves was that Slot-Car Simulator...

GunstarHero234

GunstarHero234 said:

@Wolf_Link If you have a PS3 or PS2 or PSP you can Import the game for a low amount of money off PlayAsia or ebay etc which is gives you Initial D Special Stage (PS2), Initial D Street Stage (PSP), and Initial D Extreme Stage (PS3) which I have and they are all amazing and replayable.

3DS_excel

3DS_excel said:

Love the anime! Love the arcade machine! Please come to the 3DS in the UK!

Thanks for that info Gunstarhero!

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@Shadowflash I have nothing against the idea of F2P, but most companies handle it too poorly, like, say, giving you next to zero content at the beginning of the game, meaning you have to pay to have any kind of an enjoyable time, thus defeating the purpose of being free-to-play. An F2P game should be fun on its own, to the point where you want to pay money to extend that fun. Sadly, I can only think of 3 games that ever did that...