Meet Aurorus, Another Evolution in Pokémon X & Y

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Keeping it cool

We've recently had the opportunity to go hands on and learn much more about Pokémon X & Y, and one little tid-bit of info we were given is actually for a new 'mon; it's rather charming appearance has already greeted your eyeballs above, of course.

Called Aurorus, this is a Tundra Pokémon that is a Rock / Ice type. It's the evolution of Amura, which was revealed by The Pokémon Company recently; some key statistics are below.

• Ability: Refrigerate
  • Height: 8′10″ / 2.7 m
  • Weight: 496.0 lbs. / 225.0 kg

It can expel air as cold as –240 degrees Fahrenheit to damage enemies, or even form a wall of ice as protection. A move making its debut in X & Y, meanwhile, is Freeze-Dry, which is Super-Effective against Water types (unlike some other Ice moves) and can freeze opponents.

So, what do you think of Aurorus?

deusy

deusy said:

This on's pretty cool. This is looking to be a good Gen of Pokémon.

galetyler

galetyler said:

I think this creature is more of a threat to dragons then fairy type is...

Refrigerate is perhaps one of the coolest (Pun intendend) abilities to date, I mean if I understand it correctly if this pokemon can learn Strength or Hyper beam or other powerful Normal type moves it not only powers them up but converts them to ice type, If Same Type Attack Bonus factors into this then that's insane.... best Ice type ever.

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

I'm usually not overly fond of the newer designs for Pokemon, but, I have to say, X and Y's new creatures are impressive!

galetyler

galetyler said:

@Ecto-1 They are a lot simpler than Gen 5's which while I liked some of the more wacky designs of generation 5, I kinda like them getting back to simple and clean looking designs like this and a lot of the others shown

MaciejKuczynski

MaciejKuczynski said:

Tyrunt's evolution has been also revealed.
Have you heard that overworld in Pokémon X and Y will be only playable in 2D? That's very disappointing. :(

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Pretty cool. Can't wait to see what T-Rex Jr. evolves in to.
EDIT:
Just saw it. Pretty ugly tbh. This one looks a lot better.

@SphericalCrusher
You most likely won't have to, since you usually get the fossils and only have to awaken them.

zeldagaymer93

zeldagaymer93 said:

Wow, seems like a Pokemon I will most definitely add to my team! Not too impressed with the starters (besides Charmander, Bulbasaur, and Squirtle of course) but at least the other Pokemon are looking good.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

I only casually see the images of the pokemon themselves over the years (my daughter does collect some cards from the card game too) and I like these designs better than pretty much everything except the earliest Pokemon. Again, I'm not really steeped in it.

The fact that even I'm interested in this game makes me think it will be a rediculous seller.

ajr12388

ajr12388 said:

Why does this make me think of a Lapras evolution? But that ability and Freeze Dry will decimate. Especially since its super effective against Water.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@Thomas Did the original site list the temperature in Fahrenheit? I don't think I've actually run into the Fahrenheit measurement for official releases from The Pokemon Company.

Hm...Freeze Dry sounds like a pretty dangerous move though I'm going to guess the damage won't be too high since it can Freeze and has that unique characteristic as well, though then again if it's a Amura/Aurorus personal move that might not be the case.

TheHunter

TheHunter said:

Ability that turns normal-type attacks to ice. That means an ice-type hyper Beam. Watch the love out, dragons.
Watch the profanity please — TBD

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

Freeze-dry is really interesting, I hope there's more attacks like it for other types. That will really shake up team building.

mamp

mamp said:

I like it, also the pokemon looks big to me but you know pokemon look big then you go to the pokedex and they're only like 5ft WTF?

ShanaUnite

ShanaUnite said:

@mamp I never really got that. I mean are we supposed to assume all pokemon of the same species have the same height and weight. Not to mention that the mentioned weight or height often makes them feel way smaller than what you first thought o.0

DarrelltheJ

DarrelltheJ said:

Is no one else worried that this Pokemon is throwing things off a little too much. All normal moves are ice AND an ice move that decimates water types. It's a bit much.

natsu

natsu said:

wow a pokemon that has an ability that turns its normal attacks into ice type moves wow i want to see giga impact

Rensch

Rensch said:

There's also another Pokémon that was revealed today. It's Tyrantrum, the other fossil evolution. It evolves from Tyrunt, the T-rex pokémon.

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

Amazing, finally we have LEGIT Dinosaur Pokemon, something I've been waiting for for YEARS!!!!!!!!!! :D

Arcamenel

Arcamenel said:

@DarrelltheJ Actually it's balancing things in a sense. Ice Pokemon have kind of been shafted in the past considering most water types can learn powerful ice type moves like ice beam without having as many weakness and having more coverage. Fairy being super-effective against and immune to Dragon kind of took away Ice's only real advantage, this evens out a bit if it's a move that's common among ice types in this generation.

brilen

brilen said:

this may be the coolest ice type pokemon i have seen yet, can't wait for oct 12

Squid

Squid said:

I like its design but Im not sure , I think I prefer Tyrunt's evo more.

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

@Blue_Yoshi Cranidos was a legit Dinosaur, its a pachycephelosaurus not sure if I spelled that right but yeah these are the 2nd and 3rd legit dinosaurs.
Bastiodon was a poor excuse for a Triceratops.

MIDP

MIDP said:

fragile typing, hopefully some good base stats to come with it
It looks awesome though!

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

@jpfan1989

Oh of course how silly of me I almost forgot about those two, Pachy is a classic Dino but the general public wouldn't know about them if it wasn't for The Lost World. I guess Bastiodon really did take the cake for making them a forgettable duo, luckily it wasn't based off Triceratops Maximus I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be different Trikey species that has a huge frill and no horn, kinda like a big Protoceratops.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

Match-up wise it seems terrible. 4x weak to Fighting & Steel. 2x weak to Water, Grass, Ground & Rock.