Eurostyle Neo Geo Shooter Gunlord Is Blasting Its Way To 3DS And Wii U

Posted by Damien McFerran

Indiegogo campaign started to fund development

UPDATE: Since this news item was written the original Indiegogo page has been removed and a new one has risen up in its place, with a lower goal of 40,000 Euros. We have updated the links to reflect this. The flexible funding option has now also been removed, meaning that NG:DEV.TEAM will only get the cash if the campaign reaches its target.

ORIGINAL STORY: NG:DEV.TEAM has a reputation for creating amazing 2D action titles, and the recent Neo Geo release Gunlord was one of the studio's finest. We asked founder Timm Hellwig if he was keen to work on Nintendo consoles last year, and he replied that the 3DS was very much on the company's radar.

Things have just become a little more interesting, with NG:DEV.TEAM launching an Indiegogo campaign to fund the development of Gunlord on both the 3DS and Wii U. The game will be a digital version distributed via each console's eShop service.

According to NG:DEV.TEAM, the cash will be used to purchase development kits, fund extra coding and the cover the cost of hiring a new artist to create additional graphics. The campaign's goal is 50,000 Euros (around $66,000 / £42,000), and because of Indiegogo's "flexible funding" option, the team will get whatever money is raised regardless of whether or not the total is achieved.

The 3DS version will boast parallax scrolling in stereoscopic 3D, while the Wii U edition will have off-TV play and the ability to add retro-style "scan lines" to the image for that authentic old-school feel. Both will have reworked controls and difficulty levels, and will feature an expanded field of view when compared to the original game — that means a 400x240 resolution image for the 3DS and a 16:9 aspect ratio for the Wii U. As usual, a series of "supporter" rewards are included, with the most interesting being a Gunlord arcade stick for the Wii U — you've got to pledge a whopping 1,000 Euros to get that, however.

We've played Gunlord to death on the Neo Geo MVS and can confirm that it's a fine game indeed, and certainly one that 3DS and Wii U owners should get excited about. Will you be pledging your support with some cash, or do you feel that the team should be porting it under their own steam, taking into account this isn't a brand-new game? Drop a comment to tell us what you think.

[via indiegogo.com]

oOo-Sega-oOo

oOo-Sega-oOo said:

I have this for the Sega Dreamcast which this game was also released on and would find it to be a great addition to have relased on both the Wii-U and 3DS e-shops. Hope they meet their target and get it released ASAP.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Awesome!
Love that artwork too! Reminds me of the game boxes from the snes/megadrive era.

WWammy

WWammy said:

I really quite like this Turrican style was playing the C64 version the other day veryyy nice :D

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I watched people play this on You tube, and I really hope this makes it to Wii U and 3DS. It looked good. Perfect for the Turrican fans

NImH

NImH said:

Super Turrican is one of my all time favorite SNES games! This looks like a must-have if it comes to either Nintendo console.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Now THAT'S a game I'm willing to play!
Come to me! Tum dum dum tu-dudum (Armageddon theme)

seronja

seronja said:

this is amazing! if the 3D on this game turns out to be great i will get it for 3DS, if not then i will get it for wii u.

Windy

Windy said:

Reminds me of Jim Power on PCEngine. The Artwork looks like something Psygnosis would do. The 3d is going to look great! Only better

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I will get it on 3DS as long as it is 60fps and not buggy but already have it on Dreamcast.

(I would never get it on Neo Geo > 300€ is too much).

BerendJan

BerendJan said:

this makes the WiiU look more and more like a Dreamcast... I love the indy support let the X1 and the PS4 keep the fifa's and other big games...

Ryno

Ryno said:

Looks like Rendering Ranger R2!

I want but I'm not helping fund the Indiegogo campaign.

rixard

rixard said:

I read about this game when it hit the older consoles. It sure looks like and seems to play like Turrican; that's a good thing imho. Those sprites! Almost makes me cry with bittersweet nostalgia ;-) So many awesome indie/crowdfunded games potentially hitting Wii U. Good times.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I am glad it looks like they are doing this right. (i.e not just using a stupid filter which is what many people would do for the 3DS).

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

@unrandomsam That's me playing on the video, "Rendering Ranger R2" by Manfrend Trenz (the Turrican guy!). Sadly the real copy is ultra rare but it's worth having alone for the shmup levels, some of the best, unknown shmup action on the SNES, incredible stuff! But it's on the SNES, not Saturn.

Here is level 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w-U-9izrGs

robbleshague

robbleshague said:

Not wanting to be a grump, but I backed a Kickstarter by NG:DEV.TEAM for their shooter Redux - A game that we're all still waiting for 9 months after its supposed shipping date. There's been very little in the way of updates and they're nearly always totally vague and ignorant of questions left by disgruntled backers.

In the meantime they've started work on another game and now there's this second crowd funded project.

Just felt it was worth mentioning.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Reminds me off the GBA style Metroid graphics. Looks really nice, hopefully it'll come a gooden.

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

@Cohort Oh man, that almost made me want to dust off my Amiga 500...
And I forgot how good the music was compared to the consoles of the time. Good stuff indeed.
As for the reaction you got: that is probably because Turrican is way before his time.
And with that in mind it would perhaps have been better to show the graphically superior Turrican 3. That actually has quite a few tricks in common with the clip from Gunlord and it would perhaps also get more younger people interested in classics like these.
Turrican 3, for those that wonder:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y530mBlpv7k[/youtube]

R_Champ

R_Champ said:

I'm not that excited for Indie games lately. But I've been itching for some bullet hell like this on Wii U and this looks pretty neat.

Plus, I always have a weakness for bullet-hell type games with cute anime girls in them...one of my only weaknesses...

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

Wait. Stereoscopic 3D? From the video it appears that the game will be displayed on the touch-screen. Unless that is just the way they wanted to represent it in the video...