Project X Zone Battles Into UK Top 20 in Debut Week

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Lacking the X Factor

Recent UK all-format software chart updates have been full of good news, with various 3DS exclusives — most recently Animal Crossing: New Leaf — appearing regularly in the top 10. Nintendo's hugely popular real-time title is still performing well, staying in fourth place in this week's updated results from UKIE.

For last week's new title, however, it's been a fairly modest start. Project X Zone has made its chart debut in 18th place, though these results don't include 3DS eShop sales. Nevertheless, this position is possibly a result of this being a game some may consider 'niche', though we rated the wacky RPG highly in our Project X Zone review. In past times we've seen third-party releases struggle to even make it into the UK top 40, but it's still a slightly disappointing result.

Elsewhere, more established 3DS releases continue their gradual and expected slide down the rankings; Luigi's Mansion 2 is one place down on X Zone in 19th, while LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D are in 31st and 34th places respectively.

This week will bring us the release of Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros. on 3DS, so it'll be interesting to see how that particular quirky RPG performs, while the Wii U awaits the arrival of Pikmin 3 later this month.

[via ukie.info]

ferthepoet

ferthepoet said:

18 is actually not that bad for Project X Zone I think, and I think a game like X Zone maybe did better digitally.....

siavm

siavm said:

I would not expect a game like this to sell well. But that may also be to low shipments of this. But yeah it is a niche game that only some gamers like me would like. It is something kind of cool though having all these characters even from games I never heard of coming together.

Aaronzord

Aaronzord said:

Yeah, that's a great position. The majority of the characters in the game will be total unknowns to most people and it is a fairly niche genre, so it's done well even getting into the top 40.

Compared to the likes of Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion, this has had VERY little marketing or magazine/online coverage. I don't imagine it's been distributed as much as titles like them either.

Slightly off-topic, but I'm amazed at how consistently well the Lego games sell...they stay in the charts for AGES. Lego Batman 2 was released over a year ago and it's still in the top 20. Impressive.

BigBluePanda

BigBluePanda said:

I wouldn't call that disappointing. Sure, it may not have charted as high as other 3DS titles this year, but that's very respectable for a type of game that never usually makes it outside of Japan.

Araknie

Araknie said:

There NL look at what the West thinks about Japanese games, keep ignoring the thruth NL, you keep doing that.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

A niche Japanese game on a console with a small userbase makes the top 20 and you're disappointed?

Morph

Morph said:

For a game that didnt too well in japan (if I remember rightly) thats quite decent

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

Surprised its done that well. I have this game, I love this game. I want a sequel. Maybe digital only was a better option. Either way, glad I got it.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

I'm amazed it got into the all format top 20! I'm honestly suprised it's even in the top 5 3ds chart.

scrubbyscum999

scrubbyscum999 said:

This FANTASTIC for a niche strategy Japenese crossover with many characters people never heard of. Not to mention Japanese only voices. And pretty much no advertisement. I consider this an achievement. I love this game and even I didn't think it would chart this high.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Got the game on cartridge as its only £24 shipped from amazon.co.uk - was released Friday and recieved it today. Why download it for £28 on eShop just for it to cost more and eat up a lot blocks?

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

Until these charts start including Digital they have kind of become useless, especially for the 3DS.

Shambo

Shambo said:

I'm pleasantly surprised I'm not even the only one that got it, actually.

I won't hold my breath, but I hope other Japanese developers and publishers see this, and consider bringing us time travellers, layton vs ace attorney, e.x. trooper and senran kagura...

ivanmata

ivanmata said:

I don't know about you guys in the UK, but here in the US if it weren't for sites like this or youtube channels I wouldn't have known about this game, I guess what I'm trying to say is that they should not expect good sales if the marketing is not that good.

BigBluePanda

BigBluePanda said:

If you look at the Units sold alone per console, it was actually 11th. It's only 19th because of multiformat sales from other titles such as FIFA.

That's pretty darned impressive.

Emblem

Emblem said:

18 is high for this type of title in the UK. I hope they translate Namco X Capcom, even if it is just eshop.

paniccoffee

paniccoffee said:

It's just too bad they could not market it earlier, it was a like a surprise release. There's no doubt it's for a niche audience and the story won't be as good as say, Fire Emblem, but it's obvious that a lot of effort was put into gameplay. For that, I wish it success and also it could support the push for more Japanese games to be localized.

YChung

YChung said:

Yeah it's a good position actually. As you said, it does not include digital so I kinda agree that its a bit pointless to judge the sales. I ordered my copy on the weekend and cannot wait. Will become a cult classic.

Squid

Squid said:

I don't find that disappointing at all, that's a pretty good position id say.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

I love PXZ so much! I got it and have been playing it nonstop (i'm about 19 hours into it so far). I never really got into fire emblem, but the interactive battles make it feel like a mix of the "Tales of" series and a fire emblem that I can actually enjoy. it's so good ^.^

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

It's a great game, but compared to the other titles making the top 10 this is definitely a more niche title. Still a good one though

WillhamBoyGeniu

WillhamBoyGeniu said:

No advertisement for Project X Zone some say? I have seen one on the sides of my pages at least a dozen times now. I want this game even though I don't have a 3ds yet; I'll borrow a friends.

Araknie

Araknie said:

@ThomasBW84 I think that there's no market anymore for Japanese games in the West, the whole past generation all West developers spent time destryoing genres and insulting the japanese way of doing things by ever mean possibile.

That affected sales in the long term because people's mind are affected by change and most people come to accept it, sigh, so now what we have on offer on Nintendo platforms and Sony/Microsoft's platforms is a totally different deal.

So now we a lot of people falling in the trap and insulting and doubting Nintendo's policy, witch is unchanged since the 80's, just because they privilege japanese developers and do things differently, have different games and, since the N64, privileged exclusives before multiplatforms.

Now we have people saying that have few but great exclusives is bad because multiplatform is the way, while i still think that buying a console for a game that you can find on another is plain stupid.

I will stick with Nintendo till they do consoles, but i don't think they will ever stop because many japanese developers, in 2012 even Capcom, Namco and Platinum Games joined the boat, depend from the having consoles. Simply because Sony doesn't care to push developers to port their games here, see the PSVita and early days of PS3; Microsoft is simply branded american and you can't appeal the japanese market with FPSs and Car games.

Mytoemytoe

Mytoemytoe said:

Project What The Hell Is Going On is undeniably awesome. Animal Crossing is consuming my DS time but I'll be playing that next.