Kirby's Dream Land 2 Listed For North American 3DS eShop Release on 1st August

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Suck it up

Game Boy title Kirby's Dream Land 2 arrived on the 3DS Virtual Console in Europe on 17th May 2012, over 14 months ago. So for portable Kirby fans in North America the question may well be, "where's my Kirby Game Boy fix, darn it?", as over 60 weekly updates have passed without a sniff of the release on that side of the Atlantic.

Rest easy, North America, because it looks like your torment is coming to an end. Kirby's Dream Land 2 now has a listing in your 3DS eShop, detailing a price of $3.99 and a release date of 1st August; that's next week's update. We know better than to treat advance listings as fact nowadays due to a few mishaps, but this at least raises the strong possibility that it'll arrive.

If you're not sure whether this monochromatic, cute 2D platformer is for you, check out the recommendation in our Kirby's Dream Land 2 review. How many of you North Americans plan to pick this up?

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

Next week is looking pretty good so far.
I just realized that Europe had this for over a year while we waited that long!?
Untitled

Objection

Objection said:

Why the hell did we have to wait a year? Sigh. And I thought Nintendo was trying to do better than their abysmal Wii VC performance (after the first two years.)

russellohh

russellohh said:

@Georgethecow I'm about 45 mins before that part. Have you been mushroomed much? When I was 11, I had the controls for each of the mushroom configurations (there are 3 I believe) so set in my head, I always walked normally even with the mushrooms. Owning 3 teddy bears is really the way to not get PSI magnetted, or mushroomed. But a single exploding tree can tear them all into piles of fluff...

Starzsixty9

Starzsixty9 said:

I got impatient and ended up just buying the old game boy cart. :p glad to see it finally hit the eshop though!

Windy

Windy said:

Seriously 5 VC games a week should be coming out. At least 2 VC games a week. Really mind boggling all Nintendo would stand to do is make money. Nintendo has also seemed to dump the 3D Classics which I would prefer over VC releases

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

How about an original Kirby game for the Wii U or the 3DS? And no yarn nonsense, a traditional Kirby platformer!

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

If this were a Nintendo-owned/maintained site, I'd say, "No thanks, Nintendo! I used to own the real cart, & play it, with the SGB enhancements(sound, border, color) on a Super Gameboy. But I know you won't release it to play with those SGB enhancements. I would only be able to play it in monochrome, w/o the special sounds, & colors. So, no deal, Nintendo. Although, despite being a title I have owned in the past, allowing me to have, & play w/ those things would change my mind, & e-Shop credit".

Edit: For those who have never played this before, it's a good Kirby game. The SGB enhancements were wind, & hand clapping sounds, & special colors, & a border. The gameplay is not affected by these losses.

Knux

Knux said:

Well, that took long enough. It's definitely worthy buying if you haven't done so already, since it's one of the best Kirby games ever made.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

You Yanks can whine and moan about having the VC release of the game held back for so long, but at least it was already included in the Kirby Anniversary package on Wii (which is yet to be released in Europe/Australia, and probably never will be).

hydeks

hydeks said:

Kirby games are always fun, so I will probably pick it up, not too sure yet. I'll decide when I read the review :P

Discipledoctor

Discipledoctor said:

@russellohh

Only two or three times, thankfully. I've started to get a grasp of the different control schemes but I really just try to sell the mushroom as quick as possible. Now I'm fighting the Klan one on one.

russellohh

russellohh said:

@Georgethecow Fight them as often as you can, honestly. At 700 exp a piece, they're worth it. I'm assuming they're currently doing 3 damage per attack? Even 10 of them can barely take you down after using 1 Lifeup. By the time you're ready to take down Carpainter, assuming you're about level 17-18, the last cultist only does 1 damage per attack. Let them Call for Help, all the way to Cultist Z. 25,000 EXP! Also, though brutally hard, especially for a newbie, you CAN fight the entire cave on the right by yourself.

Captain_Bagel

Captain_Bagel said:

FINALLY! I need to get an eShop card before then, I've also been meaning to get Mario 2. I guess I'll get those two and save the rest for Sonic 3D Classic. And I'm also going to get Cloudberry Kingdom with the money left over from when I got Earthbound! This is pretty awesome.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Finally, I would much rather play this on the 3DS than the Wii on the Kirby's 20th Anniversary disc. Now where's Wario Land 3?

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

It's about daggone time! Okay, Nintendo...now do Wario Land 3! Do I seem ungrateful? Well, tough. NOA doesn't deserve my thanks after this kind of silly long wait. :/

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

It's about time! Seriously, does it honestly take 14 months to bring a Game Boy port overseas? Oh well, I'm buying it. I held out on Kirby's Dream Land 1 just for this.

NintendoCat14

NintendoCat14 said:

I beat it on Kirby's Dream Collection, I don't give a crap anymore. : I'm just happy with NoA with how they handled EarthBound.

Remember guys, better late than never.

Wanderhope

Wanderhope said:

I literally picked up Kirby's Dream Collection yesterday... Can't really complain though, I found it on clearance for 8 bucks.

Selene

Selene said:

A year ago, I would have been really excited to pick this up, but have become kinda bored with monochrome so might pass. If some more good original GB games start coming out (ff legends, donkey kong land, etc..) I might get into buying black and white again.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

@Rockman_Onion Just Wario Land 3 and Super Mario Bros.3? In Japan, Nintendo released Mario Bros, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong 3, and a bunch of Fire Emblem games before us. Konami released Castlevania II Simon's Quest (even though it sucked, I still want it to add to my Castlevania collection) in Japan also. Not to mention Galaga, which was another NES game only for Japan.

I don't understand why it takes eight months just to translate the little words that these games have. I understand Fire Emblem, Castlevania II, and Super Mario Bros. 3, but every other game that I listed has little to no words.

Skeet102

Skeet102 said:

yes finally. I have always wanted to play this game. how about kirbys dream land 3 next.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

'Bout friggin' time. Now we just need Wario Land 3 - as you know, us Americans are the only ones without it.

Meaty-cheeky

Meaty-cheeky said:

@Selene Did you know if you hold down the ( L & R ) Trigger buttons on the 3DS and then pressing the ( Y ) button when playing a classic GameBoy VC game you can change the White/black display to the classic yellow/green look from the original GameBoy. That's how I play my GameBoy games on my 3DS.

I also hold done the (start and select buttons) when starting up my GBA, GBC and GB virtual console games so their in their original resolution.

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

@Windy You sir, have completely read my mind. Nintendo should be releasing VC games WAY faster than this. I mean, seriously. It took them over 2 years to put Kirby's Dream Land 2 on the North American 3DS e-Shop since making its predecessor available on e-Shop. Seriously, Nintendo? It should not take THAT long at all. Super Mario Bros. 3, Wario Land 3, and 3D Sonic the Hedgehog better hit the 3DS e-Shop soon.

allav866

allav866 said:

@ricklongo because the producer of the Kirby games has his hands full with Super Smash Bros., and besides, he said he would like to make a new Air Ride in the future.
That aside, I'm glad I'll finally get to play DL2. It's the only game on the Anniversary Collection I don't already own as a VC game... Well that and Super Star, but I like Super Star Ultra more.

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Been a little while since I bought anything on e shop. Looks like I'll be picking up Kirby soon.

SuperiorTech

SuperiorTech said:

Fingers crossed that Super Mario Bros. 3 is also released next week or the week after, along with Wario Land 3.

dadajo

dadajo said:

About time. I got the kirby dream collection so I already have this, but I may get this just for the fact of playing a portable game on a portable system. (That is the main reason why I bought the first kirby)

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

@ClassicSonicFan I agree with this 100%. What boggles the mind is how Nintendo, who has the longest and most diverse selection of classic games out of the big three sits on their classic games and takes forever to put them out. We should be getting Virtual Console games every single week.

The NES and Game Boy have hundreds of games in their libraries, and even if we cut out the licensed games, there are still tons of potential games to put out between Nintendo and third-parties.

An even better question is why the GBA has not made it to the 3DS yet. The GBA games are ready to go since they were given to Ambassadors over two years ago. Its time to put out those games on the 3DS. I'm still surprised Nintendo is going to put out GBA games on the Wii U and skip the platform where those titles would make more sense.

Nintendo is dragging their heels when it comes to Virtual Console games, and quite frankly there is no excuse. Going weeks and months without virtual console titles is pathetic, and in my opinion insulting. These are older games that are being put up on the service for people to buy so they can relive memories or play them for the first time.

Outside the rare ones that do get some massive hype like Earthbound, VC games should be put up on the shop and sold. No holding them back, no taking nearly two years to get them. Put them up and let the consumer decide what they want.

Nintendo could easily sell the Virtual Console as a major feature of the 3DS and appeal to older gamers who loved their old Game Boy back in the day. There is a good market for retro games, and out of the big three they have the strongest history and backlog of games.

There should be no reason why Nintendo can't give us a new Virtual Console game every single week. Between the NES, Game Boy, and Game Gear, there should be more then enough games to make it work. And that's not even counting going out and getting other old handheld systems like the Neo Geo Pocket and adding Game Boy Advance games to the service.

This is a very sore subject for me, and one of the weaknesses of Nintendo's stance on the e-shop. Retail games are nice, as are indie games and DSiware games. But the main advantage Nintendo has that Sony and Microsoft can't quite match is the backlog of games that people want to see again.

We just got Earthbound a few weeks ago, and I can't for the life of me figure out what the delay was about. If copyright issues were not the problem, then why did they withhold the game from the Wii VC for years? Why is emulating Super FX games such an issue when most emulators can do it with no issue.

I honestly think NIntendo holds back VC games so they don't compete with Indie games and other download games on the service.

Either that, or they really don't realize the gold mine that they are sitting on top of with the Virtual Console. I will give Nintendo credit, the VC situation has improved on all three systems and we are getting some nice deals and getting games on a more frequent basis. I just wish they would push it a little more.

Pod

Pod said:

I've gone on record before as saying that this is the best damn Kirby game ever made, and I'll stick to that statement.

Zeldalover

Zeldalover said:

This game is only behind Super Star Ultra in terms of pure Kirby fun. I 100%'ed it and it was really great. Deserves more attention if you ask me.

@Pod I think this might be the best singleplayer Kirby adventure created.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I would rather have less high quality 3d classics. (The kirby's adventure one is great). Than loads of unoptimised releases I will never play.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

The Wii Kirby I think is as good as any. First time I got the Ultra Sword I had the child like feeling I thought I would never get from a game again. (Played one level at a time never got bored even for a second because you change forms so often).

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

@unrandomsam I love the idea of the 3D Classics and what they did for Kirby's Adventure and Kid Icarus. I would not mind seeing more of them.

ollietaro

ollietaro said:

LOL I guess this is good until a real Kirby 3DS game comes out. They are still not letting us forget Kirby with Nintendo Video episodes and VC releases so they must have something in the works.