Mario Kart TV Will Allow You To Share Your Racing Skills On Miiverse

Posted by Damien McFerran

Nintendo announces new feature for Mario Kart 8

Nintendo has just confirmed that Mario Kart 8 will allow players to share their best races using a service called Mario Kart TV.

According to IGN, players will be able to record and upload their performances to Miiverse, where other players can pass comments on their skills. This is similar to the "Share" function detailed on Sony's PS4.

Given the popularity of Miiverse, sharing this kind of content with others could be a really cool addition — what do you think? Let us know with a comment.

[via uk.ign.com]

JJOR64

JJOR64 said:

Nice! Lets see how long it takes before all the replays are people using Bikes.

BenAV

BenAV said:

That could be pretty cool.
Now just ditch the bikes and we might be on track for a decent Mario Kart.

Emblem

Emblem said:

I'm more excited about Mii verse being upgraded to allow for videos and clips, i hope all WII U games include this feature.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I've already read about this, but it's a cool feature and hopefully it will be a new step up for Miiverse.

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

Dang Nintendo, why did you have to make Mario Kart 8 look so much better than Mario Kart 7 :(

Zyrac

Zyrac said:

Can't wait to see all the "I got screwed over by a blue shell" videos. :p

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

This is weak sauce. We really could've used a new game.

I'll ask again here, has anyone heard of a Retro event tomorrow at 4?

Cirno

Cirno said:

Bikes are not the end of the world.

In the end it's the features and the tracks that truly make a Mario Kart game, and 8 seems to do both in spades (The bikes of Wii, the hang gliders of 7 and the Crash Nitro Kart-ass gravity thing? Yes please!) and the tracks shown seem to take advantage of the new features and look intricate and strategic. I just adapted to the bikes. I don't see why it's the end of the world.

Haywired

Haywired said:

I don't really get this push for "sharing" video footage that the next-gen consoles are going for. Wouldn't it be incredibly boring to watch other random people's races (when you could be, ya know... actually playing the game instead)? It's like when you're waiting to join an online MK game and have to watch the current race... Did someone actually think this was so exciting that it needed its own feature? I can't imagine why I'd want to sit and watch other people's races or why they would want to sit and watch mine.

Zyrac

Zyrac said:

Hey, uh, guys? Has anyone considered that maybe they will try to make the bikes more balanced this time??

Exile20

Exile20 said:

Now that Wii U games can be patched easily I dont see how bikes can break the game now. I wanted Mario Kart Double Dash 2. am cry.

Now that Mario Kart has video recording, add it to the OS and make it mandatory for every game.

Does any one else find it weird that they never talked about the summer update, os updates or miiverse updates? They need to stay toe to toe with the features of the other two OS.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Where are the people who were saying Wii U couldn't do this kind of stuff after the non-unveiling of the PS4?

I see this video uploading stuff as a big waste of time myself, but if it makes the kids happy to think anonymous people will be watching them cross the finish line, so be it.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Nice. This game is shaping up nicely and doesnt have me feel that bad about no Fzero.

Yoshis_VGM

Yoshis_VGM said:

This game looks really good and I can't wait to play it! I don't know how much I'll use this feature, but the rest of the game looks amazing!

idork99

idork99 said:

@Emperor That's HD vs 3DS for you. 3DS uses GCN like graphics where the Wii U is just more powerful than any Mario Kart game made before it on any system. But gameplay wise, it seems that it won't differ much from MK7. All they are adding is the anti-gravity tire routes and MK Wii bikes. Also, how many racers are there? I really hope there isn't twelve again like on the Wii.

@Haywired I think this is a feature where many companies put a lot of thought into. And the reason I see that companies put this feature, besides being social and/or showing off ones gaming skills, is because there are two type of gamers: explorers vs. visual learners! Explorers, IMO, are the ones that take the time, risk, and commitment to perfecting a game. A visual learner is exactly what it is; a person that learns how to pass/master a game by learning from someone else. Back in the day, you would have your brother, your sister, your other annoying brother, his annoying friend, and so on sitting in the living room while only two controllers were being passed around. But no matter who was playing (and it was usually the same people hogging the controller), everyone seemed to be entertained by what was being done on the screen. I see the recording feature as a way to recapture that feeling. Also, it's a great way to get people into the game. If a gamer is not an "explorer," one will have short patience and not get into the game at all. But, if one shares the experience, the "visual learners" can see what they are doing wrong and progress in the game, hence, will be entertained. Also, strangely enough, I've seen people who are merely entertained with watching someone else play other than themselves. Personally, I think it relieves them of the gaming stresses that they would encounter on their own and would likely minimize their enjoyment. An example is my five year old niece who is getting into video games. She loves New Super Mario Bros. 2 but does not have patience and hates to lose. So, she is quick to get up and sit next to me and say "can you please pass the level for me?" I'll do it in an instant and she'll be focused on everything that I'm doing while enjoying herself.

Playing and mastering a game yourself is like reading a book while the share option is for those who prefer the "Cliff Notes" and/or watch the movie. No patience and they just need to see the end ASAP. It's all done to please the masses.

Haywired

Haywired said:

@idork99
You're right. I didn't think about it like that. I totally get the appeal of watching others playing games, but that's when you're in the same room as them, interacting with them, essentially playing/progressing together. But yes, I guess I can see how it would be helpful in a game that's based on progression.

Zyrac

Zyrac said:

@Haywired It's not just about progression. Watching a good player shows you how to do better at the game. Right now a lot of Rayman Legends challenge players are wishing they could see videos of how the best players set lightning fast times, so they could learn to do it themselves. So I think this feature will help some people with Mario Kart.

idork99

idork99 said:

@Haywired I beg to differ. Mario Kart has always been a game that is easy to start but can take a while to master. In order to master the game faster, this feature is needed. Why? Shortcuts, shortcuts, shortcuts! One of the best features, personally, in MK7 was waiting for the next race to start on line and the ability to see your opponent's skills. I can't tell you how many tricks I learned just by watching the race before starting! And now with land, air, sea, and anti-gravity at play, there will be many alternative routes to the finish line!

edit: just re-read what you wrote previously. I thought you were insinuating that Mario Kart is not a game of progression. That is why I begged to differ. My apologies if I was wrong.

Haywired

Haywired said:

@idork99
True, but I guess I feel that because all this sort of stuff is on YouTube/all over the web it's kind of redundant, but no, I can totally see where you and @Zyrac are coming from, thanks.

Gameday

Gameday said:

I just get annoyed when peeps all pick the same kart or look up whats the fastest bike.. Same thing for COD these guys look up whats the best load out as if its so hard to experiment and come up with your own ideas. Watch a video to see how shortcuts are done i can accept that but the whole whats the best bike and character bs...

Also i like the feature of recording or uploading specially as youtuber.. Lets say how NL throws the 3ds Kart parties someone can now post what happen if im understanding this right for the whole site to see how the NL players roll. Not a problem there. I do wish they just went back to Karts like the beginning.

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

Wish they put more effort into the 3DS visuals, that way I would be enjoying Mario Kart 7 much more

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

really really amazed from the new mario kart since they are using elements from the last 2 games and of course the new elements for the new game it self :)

those hover karts looking nice too but still wondering how the gamepad it self is going to be used

Haywired

Haywired said:

@idork99
No, sorry, you were right, but I slightly edited my comment right after I posted it, but then as NL sends an email notification now, the edit wouldn't have shown up. Sorry for the confusion...

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

This is actually going to be really fun I think, and if it's implemented in other games as well even better. As a teaching tool this will be amazing, not only can you watch the good racers and learn from them, but you can also upload your videos and have the better players give you advice on how to race better.

Another thing that can be fun is challenges set by the community. Someone could post on miiverse challenge of the day, win a race with X, or without doing Y or whatever and upload the video of you doing it. It just adds that much more life to the game when you can do things like that.