Jett Rocket II Delayed To Add Free-Roaming 3D Levels

Posted by Damien McFerran

And it will still run at 60fps

Shin’en’s Manfred Linzner has told Nintendo Everything that Jett Rocket II: The Wrath of Taikai has been pushed back into Q3 in order to add "true" 3D levels. The 3DS adventure was originally due out early this year.

The delay will allow Shin’en to add in free-roaming 3D levels, similar to the ones seen in the WiiWare prequel.

Linzner said that making the game run at 60fps “was quite a challenge", but the team at Shin’en relish such a task. He also believes that Jett Rocket II “is the only game that has free roaming 3D levels in 60fps/stereo on 3DS.”

The 3DS has a pretty packed schedule for 2013 so this delay doesn't annoy us too much, but what about you?

[via nintendoeverything.com]

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

And it seems to look gorgeous! The guys at Shin'en sure know how to take full advantage of the hardware.

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

"He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking." :) Can't wait to see it all in action! Keep up the great work Manfred and Shin'en!

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Excellent news ! I was kinda sad to hear, that it was planned as a pure sidescroller.

Sjoerd

Sjoerd said:

I love Shin'en and the way they can push hardware, but I think this game looks less alive then Nano Assault and Art Of Balance did. I'll probably buy it because I have a serious platforming need, but it seems to lack soul. It'll probably look better in movement though.

Kirk

Kirk said:

The devs really need to put the helmet back on the main character at some point. He just looks much better with the helmet.

I'm guessing they think showing his head will make him more appealing to a broader audience but I don't think it's quite going to work out like that because the design of the main character is just not that universally visually appealing anyway, that the casuals and mums will be drawn to him, so I'd suggest you at least appeal to the slightly more discerning gamers instead with his original and superior look that's more in-fitting with the rest of the game design.

That way at least you please those people who are actually likely to buy your game in the first place.

Just my personal take on it.

Sjoerd

Sjoerd said:

@DarkCoolEdge I Never played that one, I think Wiiware was and is a terrible constructed service so I rarely bought games there. But that's good to know, thanks! I'll wait for a review then.

motang

motang said:

Beautiful looking game, I should really try out the Wiiware game, bought it but haven't played it much.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Just hope this doesn't push the "FAST League Racing" sequel down the line too.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Here comes another technically pretty 'n polished Shin'en title, with a character so utterly forgettable that makes Bubsy and Aero the Acrobat seem like top class video game super stars.

Seriously though, props go to Shin'en for getting this game to run in 60fps. It's a rarity on the 3DS since the 3D effect sucks up so much graphical juice. Super Mario 3D land ran at 30fps, which was pretty dissapointing after being so accustomed to Super Mario Galaxy's 60ps.
I wish 60 would just be the standard, but i understand with 3D 2x the power is being used in order to send 2 images to both eyes.
Anyhoo, i'll be getting this day one! B-)

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

Awesome.

I hope they keep in the 3D land like levels as well.

If they keep those as well as the race and 2D levels this will be one varied Platformer!

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I wonder if they are doing this to appease fans that complained about it. I for one like the direction they were going in but I won't mind some free roaming level in 3d as well.

@Waveboy If the game is fun and good who care if the character is bland or boring. I just want a fun experience and don't care if the main character is a rock!

Grubdog

Grubdog said:

The WiiWare game was incredible, flawless controls and wonderful graphics. My only problem is still, to this day I haven't been able to find one of the collectables. I swear I've explored every inch of the beautiful game but it just doesn't exist.

The character design fits the bill I think. Fast, clean, gets poop done. It's a symbol of the game. Can't wait to try this on my 3DS.

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

I do agree with Shin'en's titles being a bit soulless in the character department. They could use a better art designer, like WayForward has.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

Nice! That is a very good reason to delay the game and it just makes me anticipate the game even more!

Henmii

Henmii said:

Ah, so there weren't free-roaming levels initially! I am happy that they listened to the complaints!

Zyrac

Zyrac said:

The whole reason I bought the first Jett Rocket was because there aren't enough 3D platformers these days, whereas sidescrollers are a dime a dozen. So I'm glad to hear this news, because I probably would have passed on the game otherwise.

Toodles

Toodles said:

Hooray! I was a little disappointed to see that this game appeared to be mostly 2D at first, so this is good news in my book! 3D platformers are my favorite types of games, and handheld consoles get good ones so rarely. Can't wait for this one now!

Henmii

Henmii said:

"What happened to the 3D Platformers?"

They seem to be dead, simply because it is harder to make a free-roaming platformer fun! Also, sidescrollers are more popular! And people love the throwbacks to the 8 bit and 16 bit era! Besides, free-roaming worlds take up more space! And that can be a problem, since most platformers nowadays go straight to download!

Personally I really, REALLY want more good free-roaming platformers, at Retail!! You know, Disc or cartridge! In my opinion there's the most innnovation to be had in that genre since it hasn't been done to death! If they only tried!!