Rumour: Take-Two To Reveal Next-Gen Versions of Grand Theft Auto V At Investor Call

Posted by Andy Green

Handful of salt at the ready

After a brief delay Grand Theft Auto V is down for a 17th September release on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 and Rockstar, the game's developer, has not commented on it ever emerging on the next generation of consoles.

Rumours have always been rife that Grand Theft Auto V will eventually become available for Wii U, PlayStation 4 and the next Xbox and a new report is suggesting Take Two, Rockstar's parent company, could be revealing more information on next generation versions at its next investors meeting on 16th May.

inEntertainment seems to have some inside knowledge and states the game will be available for next generation consoles in 2014.

As far as rumours go we've always got a truck-full of salt when it comes to Grand Theft Auto V, but there does still seem to be some hope for a release on the next generation of consoles.

Would you like to see it emerge on the Wii U at some point? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via inentertainment.co.uk, gonintendo.com]

Painmaster212

Painmaster212 said:

Any 3rd party support would help especially a game like this which appeals to a wide audience.

RCMADIAX

RCMADIAX said:

As Ive said before, if it comes to Wii U Ill buy it day 1, if not Ill wait til it hits Greatest Hits for my PS3. Rockstar its up to you, $60 or $20, make your choice!

WesCash

WesCash said:

It would be a pleasant surprise for Wii U owners but I can't see it happening.

THIZZLERS209

THIZZLERS209 said:

Fingers crossed!!! If GTA comes out then I'm sure third party support will be there in the future for the wii u!

hydeks

hydeks said:

I doubt this will come to the Wii U, GTA is alil extreme for Nintendo's liking.

Yosher

Yosher said:

Don't really care personally either way to be honest, I mostly enjoyed the 2D (topdown) GTA's. Don't feel much for the 3D ones.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

There's no mention of a Wii U version in that article? A lot of people won't like to hear it, but when devs and publishers use the term next gen consoles, most of them won't be thinking about Wii U. The fact the article mentions PS4 and NextBox specifically but not the Wii U is quite telling.

rtr0GMR1

rtr0GMR1 said:

I'm not particularly a big GTA fan, but if it'll help sell more WiiU consoles, I'm all for it!

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

I'm skeptical of it's chances of appearing on Wii U, but it sure would do good for the overall appeal of the system!

AgentAPE

AgentAPE said:

if turns out anything like chinatown wars with its great touchscreen functions,id get it day 1.

PokeTune

PokeTune said:

I don`t see the need for the salt at the ready. Of course it`s logical it would come to the 720/PS4. The Wii U on the other hand...

mch

mch said:

Yes! Bring it on Wii U and bring it fast! It would do (me and) the console very very good, especially if they could even release it before it comes on the other next-gens.

MrPanic

MrPanic said:

Even if they say it will go to next-gen, it really says nothing about it becoming available on WiiU. The chance of R* putting a game on a low preforming console is just too low, they just don't give a ***.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

I'm not holding my breath but it would be a major coup & would help the systems perception as more of a "hardcore" machine. If enough money is thrown their way anything is possible!

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

I think it will show up. There is no excuse for it not to if they plan on bringing it to next gen consoles at all.
I can stand not having Bioshock or Saints Row 4, but this is kind of a must on Wii U. It doesn't matter whether you think Nintendo is for kids or not. If R★ thinks it's worth it to release on Wii U, Nintendo's image doesn't hinder the game from making it's way to a console.

SteveW

SteveW said:

it's overrated anyway... I hardly touched GTA IV.... Lego City Undercover is better

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

@SteveW
I kind of agree with on GTA being not that great IMO. Saints Row is even more horrible in comparison, though, to be fair. I never really liked any of them, but if they can make it awesome, I wouldn't be one to ignorantly refuse it.

Tertis

Tertis said:

I'll get this if it comes out on Wii U. Unless if my brother pre-orders it for the 360.

AtomicToaster

AtomicToaster said:

Yes I want it for Wiiu! If we got this and Metal Gear I'd be thrilled! Anything being ported up to PS4/720 that also don't have an install base should be ported to Wiiu as well! There's no excuse! Unfortunately, it's probably likely that Nintendo is going to miss this one!

Jukilum

Jukilum said:

I'd actually prefer to have Wii U thought of as a "kiddie" console than have morally bankrupt developers like Rockstar develop for it.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

I would DEFINITELY buy this on Wii U, My PS3 is now dead to me and will receive no further purchases from me, Mircosoft has had a huge no no in my house since 2006 and there will be no playstation 4......ever..... under my roof after feeling the brunt of Sony's appalling customer service, Nintendo has my 100% support and ALL my future purchases are entirely on their Wii U and 3DS. I would love to play GTA V and it will only get a day one purchase (or a purchase or any kind) when released on Wii U.

It's about time GTA was brought to Nintendo, not the best franchise but certainly a commercial big hitter and a genre of game not yet presented on a Nintendo console.

Want my money? support my console!

Elhijodelrio

Elhijodelrio said:

gtav, would be Nice too have more 3rd party support, hate the fact of Nintendo s images of a childa toy, i had a nes, snes, n64 ect. Hate to say uhhh i am all grown up now, my kids also grew up on Nintendo, uhh they are now of age, so the games that we play as family are blackops2, ect. So adding more mature titles is a good thang, if otha parents want a kiddie system i would say 3ds, leave the biggers system for more mature titles i would say, when i state this i am always confronted with the idea all i play is fps, adult titles dont automatically impley this, i just want titles geared for adult/mature gamers so many i havemissed just because i like Nintendo, even thou thier is a ps3 and 360 in house here, my son plays my wii u, more than he plays his 360,

NinGamer85

NinGamer85 said:

I'll buy it on Wii U or I won't buy it for anything. Just play it at a friend's house.

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

I very much doubt this will come to WiiU.
For no other Reason than Rockstar are Very freindly with Microsoft, and Extremely freindly With Sony.
They've been this way for years. Rockstar even said that they made a big mistake giving MS the timed exclusivity of GTA4 to Microsoft.

I Really, Really hope I'm proven wrong but I'm not getting my hopes up.

NinGamer85

NinGamer85 said:

@SteveW Lego City is a lot of fun. It doesn't require much skill or effort but I can lay on the couch and play with my son in the room. He watches and laughs and really enjoys the game.
I'd buy GTA V but have to play when he's away.
Some games are for kids. Some games are for adults. Consoles and handhelds are about games...of all types. Wii U, 3ds, 360, PS3, PC all have great games for kids and adults. Nintendo seems to be able to produce games suitable for both...Zelda, Mario and SSB to name a few.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Sometimes you have to eat a little pride, Nintendo. If I were you, I don't care what you may make of the game... throw extra cash their way to ensure it comes to the WiiU. I can't think of too many 3rd party games that could make a bigger statement on the WiiU.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

It's nothing to do with Nintendo not allowing it, they weren't the ones who ordered Manhunt 2 to be censored.

Nintendo should suck off the right person at take two to make this game happen. I want a map when I play GTA!

luminalace

luminalace said:

If there is 1 game to make people know Nintendo is serious about getting the so called 'hardcore' back, it's GTA5. I really hope this is real!

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

I seriously doubt it. While I do really want this game and would buy it on day 1 if released, the Wii U's track record with third party releases and multiplatform games has been shaky at best and disastrous at worst. There's still hope, though, and this game would go a long way in enticing third parties and making them realize that the Wii U maybe isn't as bad as it's made out to be.

Kohaku

Kohaku said:

I don't need GTA V. Tried to play GTA IV but brought it back after 2 weeks. I prefer Lego City, much more fun for me.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

Huh, try playing the original GTA again and tell me if it's really better than the 3D ones. GTA2 is a little bit better. C'mon, I mean you can't even strafe in those games!
I enjoyed Vice City and San Andreas substantially, though the games do contain quite obsene if not distasteful scenes.
Still, running over random pedestrians is fun, haha!

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

This game is not for Wii U, ever, in my opinion. Nintendo forgot to include analog triggers. I can almost see regular triggers working for a racing game since most of the time you're either on the brake or the gas, no in betweens, but GTA calls for a lot more precision so it doesn't look like the car has an on/off switch.

banacheck

banacheck said:

Inentertainment only inside information is reading articles from a different website, Examiner who in-turn has also read an article from a different website. If the original article addressed where this info is from and no just saying photos, which they do not show, it would give this news a bit more credibility. Other than as GTA V has been delayed it does not make it a next gen game, if it was a next gen game this means the PS4 & Nextbox. And this is my guess at best that it will even come to next gen consoles, your right to say rumours like this is to be taken with a truck-full of salt.

gazamataz

gazamataz said:

I don't understand why everybody thinks this game won't be released on Wii u.Its been rumored that it will be released on Wii u for months and it would sell well enough to make money for Take 2.The only reason GTA4 was'nt on Wii was because it was'nt powerful enough.Nintendo know they need this game to get the teenagers who think killing and gore is mature and that Mario is for kids onside.It will be on Wii u.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Hmm well this is hard to call
Rockstar did release Chinatown wars as an exlusive 3ds title and did release Bully and Manhunt on the Wii. The other games were to powerful for the console.
There is no question of the Wii U running GTA5 which wasn't the case with 4
and Rockstar isn't EA. I think it's safe to say that a name as big as GTA will sell decently on every console it is released on and 3rd party absences of Tomb Raider, Far Cry and Bioshock are likely a result of timing as much as anything else.
Hmm could go either way really.
At the end of the day we still get Watch Dogs!

gaby_gabito

gaby_gabito said:

I would be so excited to see this game come out for the Wii U. I'd preorder in an instant!

MrCharles77

MrCharles77 said:

If this game cames on WII U won't be at the same time as the other consoles (PS3/xbox360), and it will not sell well because everyone already bought it for other platforms. The promise made by nintendo that the wii u would be a console for the "core gamer" it's a lie...

Where is FarCry 3, Crysis 3, GTA V, Battlefield 4, TombRaider, Destiny...and the list goes on and on even fifa is not confirmed...

For me isn't a big deal, I'll buy a PS4 and play the games in another platform, but nintendo should not promisse things that they don't control. Don't get me wrong, I love nintendo games, I bought the wii u on day one and bought many games (Batman, mass effect3, darksiders2, nba2k13, nintendo land, zombiU, New super mario U, Sonic, COD, AC3, Trine 2, The Cave, Zen Pinball)

Williaint

Williaint said:

Coming to Wii U proves a point; a point that it 'can play with the big kids. If Destiny comes to Wii U, I have no reason to buy a PS4. Of Course, the '720 was already out of the question...

defiance

defiance said:

gta v better come to wii u. if it does its a guaranteed purchase for me and my entire family.