Best Buy R.O.B. Saga Reaches a Happy Ending

Posted by Lee Meyer

S.A.V.E.D.

Best Buy has decided not to destroy the R.O.B. unit that nearly cost an employee his job. The robot, which an employee unsuccessfully attempted to take home instead of being recycled as part of Best Buy's Renew Blue program, will instead be sent to the company's corporate headquarters to be put on display.

Best Buy had some enthusiastic words for the rare Nintendo accessory, as reported by Business Insider:

We are in the process of retrieving the robot and gaming system from the store so that we may put it on display here at our corporate headquarters in Richfield. A bit of nostalgia that our employees and visitors alike, are sure to enjoy!

We recycle virtually any consumer electronic device out there, but as you can imagine an item like this is fairly unusual and we can see why it captivated our employee’s imagination

There has been no comment on the status of the employee who took to Reddit to bring attention to his cause. Whatever his fate, he has definitely proven that you can't keep a good fan down.

Did you have a R.O.B. during the NES era? Let us know in the comments.

[via businessinsider.com]

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Good. It would have been a shame to have it be re-cycled. Seems like whoever brought it into Best Buy would have known just what they were in possession of.

twistedbee

twistedbee said:

I still have a ROB now! I'm glad it's going to live on, for people to enjoy for years to come.

Brunwulf

Brunwulf said:

Poor bugger has probably been fired for conspiracy to defraud. Hope not though.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

I wasn't even born when R.O.B. was around. I want one! Or at least a figurine of one. D:

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

That's good to hear in the end, although the employee won't be able to keep the R.O.B. for himself, it looks like it's going to a good home.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

I hope he didn't actually try to steal it. Rob would have a serial number or something to identify him. He posted online he would steal it so the police would have come to his house, saw the identification on him and taken rob and then take the guy to jail for burglary. The stupidity of him saying he was gonna steal it while planing to was astounding. I'm glad best buy preserved it though. It really shouldn't be recycled.

AbeVigoda

AbeVigoda said:

Hahahaha I bet that dumb kid is sobbing in his bedroom right now, dreaming about the $300 he could have had by selling it on eBay.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I'm glad to see this incident work out. A R.O.B. is now save from the corporate subspace of Best Buy's recycling.

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

Also it's kind of a jerk thing to take it from the employee that wanted to save it, nearly fire him, and then put it on display like they knew what it was.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

This BB employee clearly isn't any modern day Andy Dufresne. Seems like if he hadn't brought attention to the whole matter, he could have somehow secretly gotten R.O.B. out of the prison...I mean the store. D:

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

What a good ending, and from the tone of the comment from Best Buy it looks like the employee didn't get fired :)

SEGAGAGA

SEGAGAGA said:

I work in the recycling business and it's really sad to see what people throw away, it's good to see R.O.B. getting a new life.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Hopefully the kid will be promoted to CEO of Best Buy. We could use some Nintendo loving people in charges at retail shops!

tanookisuit

tanookisuit said:

That kid if anything will be lucky to keep his job after exposing the company on reddit's whinefest of postings. Even if due to that they can't fire him, they can totally see to give minimal raises and no promotions until he moves on. As painful as it would be, sometimes you either just let it go, or find a better way to bring it up.

Fillytase

Fillytase said:

@AbeVigoda ROB's don't go for anything near $300 on eBay, unless you're talking about the entire NES Deluxe set, which does go for around that... but from what I've read it seemed like he only wanted to save ROB.

Aside from being a part of video game history, he's my main in Brawl. Love him ^_^

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

I had no idea bout R.O.B. til Mario Kart DS. When I first unlocked him, I was confused at what this thing was.

Now I wish I had one when I was little. I would have played the hell out of it.

A1234

A1234 said:

really? they are taking it to recycle it. will there be video proof?

dereq

dereq said:

One of my friends got me a ROB for Christmas in 2004. He still sits on my bookshelf :) And he still works too, but that grinding noise is just grating!

MortalKombat2007

MortalKombat2007 said:

Oh, please...the employee wanted R.O.B. for himself. If he didn't, he would of addressed the value of the product to manager and object to the option of recycling it rather than asking him to take it home.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Nice story! I am happy he succeeded!

But on the other hand: Is ROB really safe now? I hope he is!

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

Tsss, I'm jealous. I'd love to see that R.O.B. when I walked into a Best Buy store.

Wouldn't be surprised if the man/kid that started all of this got fired. Despite the fact that it seeims that the toy will be taken care of, he took through some unfavorable

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

decisions to try to get what he wanted.

But R.O.B. seems to be saved, at least. I'd like to see a photo of when it's up for display.