Nintendo Download: 7th February 2013 (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

North Star action, fire fighting, Sonic transforming, something a bit Mega and more

Update: Fist of the North Star: Ken’s Rage 2 on the Wii U eShop has now been officially added to this week's set of downloadable delights.

It's a dreary Monday morning, but we at least have some Nintendo Download news to keep Europeans happy. There's a range of content on 3DS, from freebies to a retail download, while Wii's Virtual Console returns with, yep, more Neo Geo goodness. DSi misses out this week, but let's look at what we do have to look forward to this week.

Wii U eShop

Fist of the North Star: Ken’s Rage 2 (TECMO KOEI GAMES, €59.99 / £49.99) - This is the first download-only retail game on Wii U. Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 is a collaboration between the popular manga "Fist of the North Star" and the "Warriors" video game series, which is known for its action-packed gameplay. Various episodes have been included from the original manga in addition to the Raoh storyline and the final story revolving around Bat and Rin. The game's Legend Mode follows the overall story of the original manga, while Dream Mode focuses on events that take place between episodes in the original story. Watch out for our upcoming review.

3DS download software

Real Heroes: Firefighter 3D Download Version (Zordix, €9.99 / £8.99) — Having originally arrived as a retail title late last year, Zordix AB has taken over publishing duties for this Download Version, in which your goal is still to rise from being a rookie to a hero firefighter. We weren't at all impressed with the retail version in our Real Heroes: Firefighter 3D review, but will nevertheless douse any flames of curiosity and see whether the reduced price means any reduction in content.

3DS Virtual Console

Mega Man 2 (Capcom, €4.99 / £4.49) — Capcom is bringing the first six NES Mega Man titles to the 3DS Virtual Console, and now eager fans of the Blue Bomber can get their hands on the first sequel and, arguably, the beginnings of the series at its best. Some even regard this as the best in the original series, but wherever you stand in the argument this is classic Mega Man fare; we're more than happy to review it again in its 3DS guise, but until then you can always check out our Wii Virtual Console Mega Man 2 review.

3DS retail download

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (SEGA, €39.99 / £29.99) — This handheld version of the excellent Wii U title hit European stores on 1st February, and isn't taking long to speed onto the eShop for those that prefer downloading their retail games. Expect a lot of fast action and fan-service in this one.

3DS download demo

Fractured Soul (Endgame Studios, free) — A title with a long and torturous development history, its arrival brought us a hard-as-nails dual screen action platformer, with puzzle elements also thrown in. Clearing levels is one concern, while perfectionists can tackle the various collectibles in each stage; now you can see whether it appeals to you with this free sample.

Wii Virtual Console

Sengoku 2 (D4 Enterprise, 900 Nintendo Points) — It seems that whenever a Neo Geo title arrives, it involves one-on-one fighting to the death, or one vs many side-scrolling fighting to the death. This one's the latter, an action brawler where you play as "warriors that have been summoned by a sorceress princess to take down a dark lord while battling through various epochs"; no pressure, then. Despite some repetition, this battered its way to a solid recommendation in our Sengoku 2 review.

Nintendo Video

The Beet Party: Jurassic Fridge (Redrover, €0.99 / £0.89) — The Beet Party: Jurassic Fridge is the second in a series of 3D short videos available for download on Nintendo eShop. The two-minute interstitials target four to six year olds and follow the adventures of the five coolest beets around as they explore, experiment, celebrate and communicate with beat-boxing sounds when something new arrives in their fridge.

So there you have it, heroes of various kinds waiting for you to guide them to various glories, of sorts. Let us know which will empty your accounts of funds in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (126 votes)

Real Heroes: Firefighter 3D Download Version (3DS eShop)

Mega Man 2 (3DS Virtual Console)

25%

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (3DS retail download)

10%

Sengoku 2 (Wii Virtual Console

Nothing for me this week

53%

Fist of the North Star: Ken’s Rage 2 (Wii U eShop)

Please login to vote in this poll.

Jonny

Jonny said:

Not going to lie, totally hoping for Runner 2 after the article last week that it was submitted, maybe next week.

Red_Acteur_2

Red_Acteur_2 said:

I wonder if Mega Man 2 on the 3DS will run in 50Hz or not. If not, I think I know where my money will go next ^^'

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Red_Acteur_2 The NES ambassador games all ran at 60 Hz, which is why the Wii U eShop scenario irritated so many people. I certainly hope this will be the same!

BenAV

BenAV said:

Nothing at all for me this week.
But my bank account is completely empty until next week, so I guess that's fine.

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

I'd probably check out Sengoku 2 if my hack and slash time wasn't currently being taken up by NG3: Razor's Edge.

Red_Acteur_2

Red_Acteur_2 said:

@ThomasBW84 : Thanks for the answer :) I was so disappointed by MM2 on the Wii Virtual Console. Glad I'll be able to get my arse kicked at lightspeed (well....60Hz speed anyway) !

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Great, I'll download Fractured Soul ASAP. I'm very interested in the game but some coments about its crzy difficulty hold me back.

Magikarp3

Magikarp3 said:

Mega Man 1 ran at 60Hz on the 3DS here, I don't see why the 2nd would be any different

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

@ThomasBW84
I just thought, shouldn't Ken's Rage 2 be coming to the Wii U eShop his week? Seems to be a habit of NoE to not let you know about that's happening to the Wii U eShop lately.

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

@ThomasBW84
Yeah, that's what I meant about them not letting you know. It seems that Wii U eShop updates have more often been off the list than on it so far this year.

lebad

lebad said:

Hey Nintendo where are Cave story+, nightsky, nano assault EX??? We know that they are in your hands why do you not give them to Europeans ???? :'( :'( :'(

Cesco

Cesco said:

Another "Meh" week here in Europe, one of the many unfortunately. It has been months since the last time I purchased something on the Nintendo eShop...

I'm still waiting Petit Computer since last July...

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

@Red_Acteur_2 All the post ambassador NES games so far released are also '60Hz' speed on 3DS, including Mega Man (1), thats why I actually buy some of them on there! Hope it stays that way.

Wonder where retro city rampage is?

Windy

Windy said:

Still No Cave Story for Europe means I wont buy Ikachan in the USA very sad :( I'm currently Boycotting any Nicalis Software until Cave story is released for Europe.

Raiko

Raiko said:

Mega Man 2 for me this week. My NES collection is building up nicely now.

allav866

allav866 said:

I intend to get MM2, but I desperately hope for a port of MM9 at some point. That one is my favorite, and could use a coat of 3D paint. I won't buy the DLC again, though, 'xcept for ProtoMan.

Squashie

Squashie said:

The lack of Wii U content this week is quite disappointing. But atleast the Wii U is getting it's fair share! :)

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

so sonic racing is out on 3ds and still there has not been one video of gameplay. i don't get it

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

News updated with Fist of the North Star: Ken’s Rage 2 for Wii U now. Sorry it was only just officially confirmed by Nintendo UK :)

jayblue

jayblue said:

i will just buy some pinball tables just got plants vs zombies,and like that few more tables will do fine.

Burn

Burn said:

Hm, I thought "FotNs: Ken's Rage 2" would be getting a lot more attention. Maybe the price is off-putting for most gamers.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Nothing for me. Already have Fractured Soul which is a decent DL game. Fist of the North Star is how much? G'Lord. Sonic and Sega I already have on the Wii U as a retail disc. That is actually an ok price for a retail DL as they are stupidly priced on the 3DS too.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I doubt Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 will get many sales on Wii U at that price, especially with it being a download only retail title. The prices of retail downloads on Wii U is ridiculous! They should be £40 at the most but with the prices some of them are sold at elsewhere even that might seem too much for some games.

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

@FonistofCruxis
It's not just wishful thinking that led me to believe Ken's Rage might be £39.99. Contrary to what's often bandied around not all Wii U eShop retail titles are £49.99 - Sing Party, Sports Connection, SARTransformed, Rabbids Land, Just Dance 4 and Your Shape 2013 are all £39.99, Tekken is £37.49, Rise of the Guardians & Ben 10 are £35.99 and Family Party is £27.99.

It just seems to be the bigger games that are £50-55, which is why I'm surprised by Ken.

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

@ThomasBW84 @Dazza
Going on the eShop just now I also spotted that Scribblenauts Unlimited says it's launching here on 8th Feb as well. That's got to be worth finding out about. It seems from the forums that there's quite a few people looking forward to that.

Eien1239

Eien1239 said:

It's been said that the WiiU wont really have anything till towards the end of the month. There is the hope that runner and toki tori gets released.

taffy

taffy said:

@Windy Although it's appreciated that you're boycotting them until they release it here in the PAL area i doubt that they ever will now that there is Cave Story 3D over here. I guess they would prefer it if us PAL people bought that version instead :

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Skipping Mega Man 2. I already triple dipped with Ninja Gaiden.
Maybe I'll finally download Sengoku 2, but I have to save money for Brain Age.

darlof

darlof said:

Hello evrybody,

Someone know if we can play Ken rage 2 on the gamepad of the wii u only ?
Because it can be great to play it in my bed :)

Zeldalover

Zeldalover said:

I have never played Mega Man 2. So I would love to purchase this game. People are saying that it's the best in the franchise. We'll have to see if that's true.

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

@Zeldalover

While I agree that it is a brilliant game but I personally loved MM3. When people told me how great 2 was I bought it and saw why it was so great but it didn't do anything for me to go "WOW this game unbelievable" that sentence was said when I finished 3. :P

Ducutzu

Ducutzu said:

I am quite surprised at the Fractured Souls demo. Very enjoyable game. It feels very good, despite being a 3DS game that doesn't feature 3D. I will purchase it right away.