Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Receiving Day-One Keyboard Update

Posted by Andy Green

Chat to your heart's content

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is already pre-occupying plenty of gamers in Japan; it was released in The Land of the Rising Sun on Wii U launch, joining its 3DS cousin. The West will get hold of the game, both in the home console and portable variety, at some point in March 2013.

A lot of people have been wondering whether or not a USB keyboard will be compatible with the game, allowing players to chat to one another online. Fortunately, Capcom Senior Vice President Christian Svensson has provided an answer on the Capcom Unity forums.

I've just been told by the [Product Manager] that there will be a day 1 update that will add functionality to support USB keyboards for chat (naturally, there's also a soft keyboard for those to use... and other features we'll talk about later).

So there you have it, you will be able to use a USB keyboard with the game on day-one as soon as you apply the update. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate isn't out for a while yet, so in the meantime have a look at our first impressions of the game to find out how it's shaping up.

Will you be picking up a copy of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate in March? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via capcom-unity.com, gonintendo.com]

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

Sweet.

Yes I will hopefully be getting Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate in march. Though I wish they added online.

Smitherenez

Smitherenez said:

Yes! Getting more and more excited to get this game for the WiiU. Played Tri a lot on my wii.

Shanksta

Shanksta said:

That's neat. I don't know how much I'll actually use it, but I may give my usb keyboard a shot.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Will this game have Voice chat? (its sad you have to ask this question in 2013)

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

@Sony_70 Concidering Monster Hunter Tri was Wii Speak compatible, I think its a safe bet that Capcom would add something of the sort.

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

About the voice chat. I am getting me concerned about the 3DS, considering the lack of voice chat that it has. (The only game that did was "HoR" and yet that game didn't last long)

They could of added some to MH3U 3DS but no online so yea...

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Yeah, keyboard is fine, but what about voice? Gamepad mic would be swell, but I'll settle for conventional USB headset support.

irken004

irken004 said:

If there's no voice chat option then it's a no-go for me. I've used keyboard on Tri and it was way too slow to use during combat.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Again, why is online exclusive to Wii U edition? If the 3DS version had online I'd be all for it.

SageWaterDragon

SageWaterDragon said:

@SkywardLink98 In Japan, you can more or less be anywhere and assemble a hunting party, so they don't see the point of online on the 3DS version. You cannot carry your Wii U around (usually), however, so that is that.
On a side note, can someone answer if that apparently amazing keyboard from Pokemon Typing Adventures or something is compatible?

CerberusAzdin

CerberusAzdin said:

Obviously getting it on day one, be great if it came out in a bundle like Tri did a few years back.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

Nice. Got my Wii keyboard ready, and Wii Speak hooked up(or my Skullcandies), yo!

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@QyetCapri Thats true but Capcom has also stated that they understand online play is a much bigger deal over hear and that most people don't play together locally as often as they do in Japan.

The game wasn't built for online in the first place but then it was added onto MH3U for the Wii U, which the rest of the world should get at the same time as the 3DS version.

NMH-TRI

NMH-TRI said:

I'm really hoping this works with my Turtle Beach NLA headset. I figured it was licensed by Nintendo and supported by the majority of online chat enabled games currently out, so it should work going forward. Don't neglect THAT support Capcom/Nintendo!

justin6d

justin6d said:

i plan on getting the 3ds version and pumped for it but, couldnt the wii u's game pad be used as a keyboard?

XXITheWorld

XXITheWorld said:

"The West will get hold of the game, both in the home console and portable variety, at some point in March 2013."

"The West will get hold of the game"

:')

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

I wish Pokemon Typing Adventures was in U.S... That keyboard looks cool.
@MK-II
Ya it will. I have the Wii Logitech keyboard, too. I found it surprising you can't use it for Wii U internet browser, but I think they expect you to use the onscreen touch one.

erv

erv said:

Great news.

Chatting on tri is what made the experience so much better. I don't want to hear others, strangers mostly, talk to me through my speaker system - text will suffice, providing just enough interaction for me to have fun together and communicate.

Very good news. Now update it with gamepad-only play and we're going to be best friends. Keyboard and gamepad hunting on the dining table, yeah!

edhe

edhe said:

I found the keyboard indispensible when playing Monster Hunter Ti, but it was a bit awkward balancing it on my knee.

I'd be happy with gamepad input although I was planning to use the Wii U controller plus pro that is currently gathering dust.

Sun

Sun said:

Keyboard for Monster Hunter Tri (Wii) was soooooo useful. People without it were not able to communicate properly or had to stop still for a minute to type in using the Wii Remote. On top of that, Wii Speak -that I bought- was quite useless due to its low sound processing quality.

harman-smith

harman-smith said:

Can't wait for this, I've never played any monster hunter games before, hopefully I can treat this like a Japanese skyrim?

Kirin2013

Kirin2013 said:

Glad to hear this, i dont look forward to using the voice, I usually end up playing with online people who dont speak unless spoken to so in echange I get breathing, chewing, or a kid screaming in the background, I hope the voice chat is not enabled by default , thats alot of people I have to take time to mute. KB is more than enough to comunicate.