Want To Know What It's Like To Drop Your Wii U GamePad?

Posted by Orla Madden

Drop it like it's hot

Those crazy guys over at GizmoSlip are known for their drop tests, testing the durability of expensive new gadgets by dropping them from a maximum height of 6 feet onto a concrete surface with no other aim but to see if it smashes into a million pieces or not.

The Wii U GamePad was next on their 'to break' list, plunging it to its doom from three different angles: on its front, on the side, and - for the ultimate finale - on the screen. It's not as mental as the guys who love to microwave their new products, but still a bit odd nonetheless.

How will the GamePad's hardware fare out? Will it break, or will it survive? Watch the video below and find out.

[via nintendo-gamer.net]

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Still works, this should ease fear for parents, especially since most loving room floors are made of carpet, which is obviously softer than concrete.

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

Well, I can see the justification for these tests. It's testing the durability of a Game Pad. I still pity the Game Pad that's the guinea pig.

idork99

idork99 said:

Another solid machine from Nintendo! It doesn't surprise me much though. As I still have original NES and SNES controllers that have suffered a beating through out the years and still function perfectly. And no, as cool as this video is, I will not change phone plans :p

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

You shouldn't have to worry about dropping neither the Wii U nor the the gamepad but its nice to know you have a little leeway in case of freak accidents.

The only problems I've ever had were with my GC and nunchuck controllers, never coiled the cord too tight but thats the only cause I can think of. My DS lite's hinge broke from falling from my bed to the carpet though.

NImH

NImH said:

On Launch Day for Wii, a kid pulled the A/V cord and dropped my Wii off of 5 ft. high shelf. It bounced off of another shelf (gouging the front part of the housing) and hit the ground. I was horrified. My 2006 Launch Day Wii still functions perfectly. Nintendo knows how to make long-lasting products to be sure.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

You won't find me doing that with mine. Regardless, this is an interesting exercise to see how durable it is. I had no doubt though that it would past the test given Nintendo's track record on making lasting products.

Emaan

Emaan said:

Nintendo has always made solid controllers, now I don't have to worry much about dropping my GamePad at least.

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

Besides, who has a concrete sidewalk in their house?? Funny thing is, I have dropped one of my friends 360 controllers on a carpeted floor and it was messed up from there on, what a piece of crap Microsoft!

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

Not sure what's more strange.
The fact this video exists or the fact it's 5 minutes long.
What an odd man ;)

@HawkeyeWii
360 pads are great but put together with good luck and the dreams of children. Not the best build quality.

DaveGX

DaveGX said:

Still plenty other ways to drop the gamepad and break it cause I didn't see the actual screen touch anything. Plus he never even bothered to test it out all the buttons in front of the ACTUAL Wii U. (not the Wii U GamePad, buddy) So yeah....I'm calling bs on this 1 until I see some legit proof because anybody can just freedrop these things like that and expect it not to break as opposed to an actual accidental drop.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

Nintendo tough. I wish they had dropped it from a higher distance, though. If you're going to do the test you might as well drop it until it breaks, right? I'd like to know just how far I'm allowed to throw it. ;)

DaveGX

DaveGX said:

Yeah, all I'm saying is if they're going to do these phony tests at least do it right and with more proving evidence as opposed to just taking the thing, letting go, and assuming it's fine just because the casing wasn't broke and you can push a few buttons....it doesn't really mean much of anything.

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

For a moment I thought they were gonna drop it from the buildings in the background at the start...! :O

But then even if they did, it'd still be fine.

SMW

SMW said:

That guys just craving attention. Same for that guy with a microwave obsession. These people only do this stuff for the attention, and to watch people get upset. Just shows how little they care about others. That Wii U could have had a happy home with a wonderful owner.

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

I actually cringed every time he dropped the gamepad. It also made me quickly run over to make sure my gamepad was ok…though i wonder why the hell would anyone sponsor this? Still they're getting a lot of people to watch it so i guess the advertisement is pretty clever after all. Nintendo means quality and durability in my book

DaveGX

DaveGX said:

@SMW: Yeah, it actually reminds me of this group from quite a few years back from this site that doesn't even exist anymore, smashourstuff.com. They had people donate $ just so they could get crap to smash an XBox 360, a PlayStation 3, an iPod, in front of people launch day, no less. I'm really not sure just what kinda message theyw ere trying to send, if any. But none the less attention mostly, i suppose, maybe just to rip people off and go buy 1 themselves they actually intend on using, anyway.

Varia01

Varia01 said:

Impressive, impressive, they should make helmets and knee/elbow pads out of that surface. oh and @0LD_SK0OL_PUNK, the controller will just have a crack on the screen and a few serious scratches. :)

mudjo

mudjo said:

@3Dash Really? I broke mine through... Overuse. I had a massive KIU marathon and when the L button stopped I changed to Pad-Buttons-R control. Then it stopped.

scrubbyscum999

scrubbyscum999 said:

It's Nintendo, of course the thing ain't going to break. Besides the DS lite with potential cracks Nintendo products have been notoriously durable.

Iggy

Iggy said:

Thank god someone did a video on its durability. Everyone knows Nintendo makes quality products but no one is going to want to have to replace a gamepad.

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

Absolutely no surprise. Nintendo would not make a device that would break after only a few drops.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

lol wow i kinda got the feeling this guy was drunk at the end xP but nice way to advertise half way to the vid see thats how you do things not annoying ads like theses days <.<

but glad nothing rly happen to it but i thought he would try it at 2nd floor building or something