Reggie: Miiverse Will be a "True Killer Application" on Wii U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

An important part of the system

Unlike its predecessor, Wii U is a system that is steadily making a big noise about functionality beyond simply playing a game. In North America there's TVii, an app that allows subscribers of various TV services to navigate around programmes, access bespoke content and update social networks with comments. It's the kind of thing that's already possible on smartphones, tablets and laptops, and will no doubt be popular in living rooms.

That's not worldwide, however, but Miiverse most definitely is. First unveiled by Satoru Iwata in a pre-E3 Nintendo Direct broadcast, it's intended to bring gaming living rooms together in an intuitive way, and connect gaming and social networking activities. With Twitter-style "bubble" messages, dedicated message boards, suggested functionality such as private messages and video chat, as well as upcoming smartphone apps and 3DS functionality, it's a concept full of potential. In an interview with AllThingsD, Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime explained why Miiverse could be "a key differentiator compared to other companies in our space".

I think that it will pleasantly surprise people. As the network grows and the installed base grows, it will prove to be a true killer application for the system, and I say this loving what we have done with Nintendo TVii and loving all the games. Until you try it and experience it, you may not totally understand it.

...People have to leave the current paradigm behind to understand what we are trying to do. Miiverse is going to be embedded right on the game platform, so literally some of the activity will be able to happen immediately as people experience it. What Miiverse is doing is quite different from anything else that’s being done, especially with the ability to hand draw messages and things of that nature.

Describing Miiverse as a potential killer app is clearly a bold statement, but shows the confidence that Fils-Aime has in Wii U owners enjoying and making use of its various functions. We expect to hear a lot more about Miiverse — and the operating system behind it — from Nintendo in the weeks up to launch, but are you as excited about it as the NoA boss? Let us know in the comments below.

[via allthingsd.com]

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Yeah, yeah.. I've heard this several times.

Isn't it time to actually show it off? Less talk more actions, please.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Come on already! Too much hype and I'll be disappointed just like I was with Lord of the Rings and Avatar!

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

I wouldn't say we know nothing about it. To copy and paste from the article it'll have... Twitter-style "bubble" messages, dedicated message boards, suggested functionality such as private messages and video chat, as well as upcoming smartphone apps and 3DS functionality. We know a lot of what it'll do, but I guess what we really want to see is more of it in action with the launch line-up, and I for one am curious about the operating system that underlines it.

King_Boo

King_Boo said:

I'm only thinking the bad that'll come from miiverse, I don't want it to be like xbox live if you know what I mean. I'm more interested at the moment in hearing about miiverse on 3DS.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I'm glad it will be the start up screen, it will get more people to use it and over a longer period of time. "Home" on the PS3 has actually gotten to be pretty good but I don't think many people use it b/c it spent oh about 3 years not living up to the hype. Though after this I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 boots up in Home.
If Nintendo can get video chat working soon after launch that will be a BIG deal. WiiSpeak has been a bust. Despite 4 households in my family having it we have NEVER done real time chatting, though we all send appropriate birthday greetings. Video chat would get a lot of use w/ the grandparents and grandkids if it's easily accessible.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

I want the cold hard facts to be the main point. It would be great to compete for high scores in about every game and minigame with the world, your friends and MK7-eque communities. Comments that are not from your friends have to be connected to high-scores or special achievements. Or at least levels but then you'd have to make a really amazing comment or i won't care.
So all in all i'm worried that it will turn out to be a sea of shallowness instead of living up to its amazingly huge potential.

k8sMum

k8sMum said:

nintendo does not do internet anything right. i so want to be proven wrong, but the more they hype this without any real details, the more i doubt it.

reggie's idea of 'killer' and the rest of the world's are often not the same.

Emaan

Emaan said:

I'm pretty excited to see what Miiverse is like. I'm hoping it makes for good communication for those of us who don't have friends over all the time. :O

luminalace

luminalace said:

Miiverse is going to be awesome and another Nintendo creation that is likely to be stolen by Sony and MS! C'mon Nov 30!

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

I'll reserve the hype or negativity until I actually get my hands on it, but from what I have read it is going to be different, in a good way.

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

@luminalace Nov. 18th for me :D Once the Wii U comes out it'd be neat to get a NL group together as Wii U friends. We can match those with similar tastes and whatnot. All you people seem (for the most part) nice and intelligent from my time here so far... so far ;)

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

"...People have to leave the current paradigm behind to understand what we are trying to do. "

Marketing BS alert triggered!

Hokori

Hokori said:

I agree with Miiverse being hush hush ATM because they don't want Sony or M$ incorporating a LBPverse or a CODverse into there PS4 or Nexbox they may also upgrade Miiverse as time goes by just to make sure they don't copy, by making it a little incomplete, but incomplete to the point we wouldn't really notice unti we do update

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

MiiVerse certainly sounds promising. It still would be nice to see a demonstration, though. I guess I'll see what it can really do on November 18.

idork99

idork99 said:

I'm excited by the fact that it'll be on the 3DS as well! Hopefully it won't be a watered down version.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

I'm pretty much anti-social, so meh. All this attention on Miiverse and the GamePad. When are we getting actual news about things we don't know anything about, like eShop and new systems supported on Virtual Console???

Super-Mario-Fan

Super-Mario-Fan said:

This will be great. The thing I thought the Wii lacked was the connection to other people and now that wont be a problem :)

Unit_DTH

Unit_DTH said:

Hopefully the hope wont just be hyper and nintendo will deliver a brilliant nonlinear experience

arrmixer

arrmixer said:

I personally just have a wait and see approach the idea on paper is genius.. it is just a matter of execution now....

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

im interested to see how miiverse will work with the 3ds and how well will it connect with the wii u like will we have our own accounts and be able to check stuff on our 3ds while were not at home using our wii u :P

Norfair

Norfair said:

Can't wait to see the Miiverse in action.
The ZombiU/Miiverse trailer in E3 really got me excited.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

Like a lot of other people here Miiverse atm is sounding just like 'oh that's nice and interesting' instead of being a main feature we'll use and come back to. That said of course, we could find that after getting our hands on it, we wonder how computer games worked without it. Plus, with updates and DLC for the Wii U we could have improvements made to the Miiverse overtime. Ala the photoshop update that was free to download on the Wii.