More 3DS Download Titles Coming To Japan's eShop

Posted by Damien McFerran

Zelda, Mario and Starfox to be made available in digital form

Nintendo of Japan has confirmed via a special Nintendo Direct presentation that a series of existing 3DS retail releases will soon be available on the eShop.

From November 1st, Japanese 3DS owners will be able to download copies of Mario Tennis Open, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, Star Fox 64 3D, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D and Pilotwings Resort.

These will of course join other new releases, which are being made available for download alongside physical copies on the day of sale.

Here's the presentation itself:

[via youtube.com]

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

Mario Kart 7 being digital is a great idea, as it's mostly a pick up and play kind of game. So is Pilotwings, but Pilotwings isn't as fun as Mario Kart is IMO.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

I think this Nintendo Direct is mostly self-explanatory, so I don't really have to translate this one. The only thing I saw that might not be evident right away is that this series of download titles won't have ALL of the games buyable with download cards. Mario Tennis Open, Mario Kart 7, Super Mario Land 7, and Ocarina 3D will have download cards, while the other four titles won't.

If anyone has any other questions about the Nintendo Direct, let me know. I think this is the Nintendo Direct that NoE will have tomorrow, so I don't think the maintenance and presentation will be about GBA titles, but I could be wrong (I kind of want to be wrong), but like I said in the other thread, I haven't seen anything about the GBA titles on the Japanese site.

BTW, the other title in the new series of downloads is 花といきもの立体図鑑 (Flower and living thing stereophonic graphic guide).

Jamouse

Jamouse said:

Wait, you guys mentioned seven titles, but on the picture there are clearly eight!
What's the last one? (I'm to lazy to watch the video -__-)

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

I'm pretty sure this means no GBA games then. Why would they announce it to Europe first? Makes no sense.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

Don't you mean Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games? I'm pretty sure Beijing was an original DS release. ;)

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

One or two titles on this list, especially Pilot Wings Resort you could expect to find much cheaper in stores by now, even new rather than used.

So I hope they keep this in mind when they do their digital downloads.

R-L-A-George

R-L-A-George said:

I hope they keep in mind some of these titles are already cheaper, even new. So it would make sense to lower some prices for the download.

Bobhobob

Bobhobob said:

Meh, have or rented almost all of these
NOW WHERES MAH ANIMAL CROSSING AND GBA GAMES

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

If only they let you download the digital copy for free if you own the retail copy. That would rule!

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

If Star Fox, and Mario Tennis were cheap, I'd buy it on the eShop.
And Mario and Sonic should be cheap because the Olympics ended a month ago.
But I am glad Nintendo is attempting to catch up to other companies.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Would have been nice to have Mario Kart digitally, too late now. Out of these the only one I don't have is Star Fox, might have to pick it up!

EDIT: Upon actually watching the video, did I see that you could transfer save data from a cart to a digital game? That would be interesting...

Emaan

Emaan said:

So that's all of the major releases so far, except for Kid Icarus Uprising. Where is that? :O

warvad

warvad said:

WAIT@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Look at the video at 4:40. What is going on here, with the cartridge being transferred to the SD card?

cmk8

cmk8 said:

One of the key things for me is price. I'm guessing the prices of the stuff for download is higher than the shop price (again!). Still seems ridiculous to me.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@Mario_Party_Fan_999

I had to watch the video twice, but I'm definitely sure that's what is going on here. Medical words, law words, and technical words are a bit hard for me, so I don't know some of these, but yeah, he's talking about transferring the save data from a physical cart to the digital SD cart. I'm not understanding the HD part though. How is that different than a normal SD cart? I'm not up on these things in English/French either.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Aw heck, I actually wanna download all of these even though I have retail versions already! Nintendo, what have you done to me!?

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

Hopefully, they'll put DS games up for download as well. Edit: If this does happen, hopefully there will be a way to back up my existing DS games.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

@Tsuchinoko
Thanks for that info! I just figured out what you meant by the 'HD' bit. It's actually SDHC and it's just a High Capacity SD Card - all SD Cards higher than 4GB are labelled as SDHC cards and since 3DS XL's now come with 4GB SD Cards that would be why the label in the video says SDHC. Hope that helps :)

Samholy

Samholy said:

holy ! (sorry)
how will i be able to resist....
getting mario kart...mario tennis...pilotwing... 3 titles i skipped.

pilotwing will be obligated to be sold for 10 or 15 dollars. not more. used market is strong for it, i can find them easily in bargain bin for 9.99, maybe even a little cheaper if im lucky.
mario kart didnt drop and probably never will. This one is perhaps the most important one to get digital. the kind of game thats is great to have now and then without swaping your kart :-=)

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@Mario_Party_Fan_999 I see. Thanks for that. I have a 16GB SD card and it doesn't have HD on it. Its a micro SD card though.

@espinozac7 The cards you can buy in some shops that have a 16 digit code just like the Nintendo point cars. These cars are used for the purposes of downloading these specific games.

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

Darnitt! I want Super Mario 3D Land in MY digital library, even though I already have the retail version! Oh well... maybe I can just return the retail version but it wouldn't be worth it...

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

I think Steel Diver, Tetris Axis, and Pokemon Rumble Blast would make great eShop games.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Well, this looks interesting. No doubt Nintendo will more than likely charge regular retail prices though, for all games, regardless of how cheap a new copy may be, off store shelves.

Hokori

Hokori said:

What's with 4:40? It looks like you can download your data from the actual cart to your SD card? Is it true? If so I'd be one happy otaku :)

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

@Tsuchinoko: HD can also refer to a grade of sd/sdhc card(s), that have fast saving, a feature most desired by photographers, specifically professional (photographers). Since I take videos, & photos w/ my 3DS, as well as mainly w/ my camera (that) I carry around w/ me, I use an HD grade(also known as a 10 grade) HD card for fast data transfer. I can also swap it out into my camera, if I so wish, for the same purpose.

Hokori

Hokori said:

OOHHH :( hopefully we get a discount for already having it, because I'd like to have MK7, 3D Land, and Pilotwings as digital download. Sorry I'm a bit confused

JohnPhilipSousa

JohnPhilipSousa said:

@HarmoKnight The discount is selling it. It's useless if you transfer.
Anyways, I'm glad to be able to get rid of my cartridges. I can always have my first party games with me.

photofool83

photofool83 said:

Aahhh, I just bought Ocarina of Time and I already own the other two that I'd want as downloads, Mario Kart 7 & Starfox. I might have to trade them in to get the digital version.

Nintendo should offer a deal for people that already own the cartridge.

And, I agree, Nintendo cannot hope to sell Pilotwings for anything over $15.00.

XD375

XD375 said:

Will there be an option to transfer my save data to the digital versions?

Hokori

Hokori said:

Yeah I noticed a few titles arnt there yet though. Steel diver, Nintendogs + cats, Pokemon rumble blast, kid Icarus uprising, and FE awakening. Maybe they'll come out later, I'd like KIU as digital since there's so much to do in game

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

@HarmoKnight I think because some people have trouble with Kid Icarus when not using the stand they may not release it. FE and Nintendogs will probably be out soon, though I'm not sure about Steel Diver because it had generally negative critical reception, so they may want to forget about it. As for Pokemon, that may be because of critical reception or because the trademark isn't complete Nintendo.

Nardar

Nardar said:

Well if they do come to US which I assumed they would, I would get MK7 digital, but the others, maybe.

Furealz

Furealz said:

@ Tech101-Umm...they should make the retail games unusable first, with an update if transferring to digital. That way they cant sell the second copy.

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

Pilotwings Resort is the only game I don't have from that list, but I would certainly download it for $15-$20. I just didn't think it was worth the full price when the system launched, but I still would like it

Hokori

Hokori said:

@A-Hungry-Banker Sadly no, it's just a Japanese exclusive by Nintendo kinda in the realms of brain age and Nintendogs as in the audience not literal crossing of the 2 series

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

... Kind of tempted to pick up Mk7 again since the main reason I wouldn't play it was because I was waaay too lazy to open the box and pull it out.

SirSmugleaf

SirSmugleaf said:

Well there's a European Nintendo Direct tomorrow (or whenever), so fingers crossed there!

Joeybagofdonuts

Joeybagofdonuts said:

if these are download able they should ad new levels and more worlds in the game try to make it even better than the main version

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

I don't have Mario Kart yet so that will be a download for me. I'm glad Nintendo are embracing downloads at last.

TheN64Dude

TheN64Dude said:

I wish you could transform your retail games that you already have into digital games :(

Hokori

Hokori said:

Wait isn't MH3G also a DL title coming? I saw a Japanese 3DSLL ND that showed the black LL with MH3G as a pre installed Digital own load title

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@HarmoKnight The game is pre-installed on that specific 3DS model. As of yet its not said to be offered as a download title like these other games.

True_Hero

True_Hero said:

@Furealz
If the already purchased retail games were rendered unusable, that would be a colossal waste of cash on Nintendo's part. That would effectively make that game a piece of garbage.

Nardar

Nardar said:

Because these games came out before they started digital, it would be nice if they make it free or a big discount for the ones who have the games. At least with a good discount fans who already have the games more than likely will go digital.

Hokori

Hokori said:

@Nardar That's what I'm hoping, I mean they shouldnt really offer a BIG discount for games that came out after NSMB2, but they should for ones before