3DS XL Circle Pad Pro Release Date Confirmed

Posted by Orla Madden

Like a pro

Nintendo revealed the first image of the 3DS XL Circle Pad Pro back in September, but failed to give us information as to when the peripheral would be released. We can now announce that the 3DS XL's bulky buddy will hit Japanese shores on 15th November at a price tag of 1,500 Yen, which approximately works out at £12/€15.

There hasn't been any word of a Western release just yet, however with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate making its way to Europe in 2013, no doubt it will make its way here. Bear in mind this is just speculation, but without a second analogue stick you wouldn't be able to use the claw item in the game, so its arrival seems inevitable.

In our review of the original 3DS Circle Pad Pro, we said it made the handheld "look like it's fallen from the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down". Does that actually matter, and do you plan to pick one of these up to give your 3DS XL that treasured second Circle Pad?

[via siliconera.com]

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I ain't getting one, I have no use for it. The only game I've got that's compaitble with it is MGS: SE 3D & that plays brilliantly without one just like the PSP MGS games did.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

I'll wait for Nyko to make a Power Grip Pro for the 3DS XL, thanks.
Untitled

Acts as a protective case, battery pack and additional circle pad and shoulder buttons, and doesn't look horribly obtuse.

luminalace

luminalace said:

I am so disappointed that it wasn't released at the launch of the 3DS XL! Sure only a few games use it but I have been holding off playing through Resident Evil Revelations and Metal Gear Solid 3D again with out it!

MAB

MAB said:

Yeah I will pick it up as soon as it hits the shelf. I found it heaps better when playing MGS & RE:R as I tried replaying those games when I first got my XL but didn't have that precision only using one slider. I'm sure there will be plenty of games in the next couple of years that will utilize the accessory ;)

NightSmoke

NightSmoke said:

@luminalace I'm with you! Those are in my list to replay on the XL (along side Ocarina of Time and Cave Story 3D) but after playing them with the CPP, I can't bring myself to do it without one.

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

If I had an XL, I still probably wouldn't get this. I figured out how to play Kid Icarus: Uprising just fine with my right hand even though I'm a lefty. I still see its usefulness, though.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

I need to try it before I decide, it looks... well... yeah. Then again, I need a game that supports it anyway, lol.

kokoro

kokoro said:

Hmmm..I wonder how it will feel on the XL. Hopefully not too clunky. On the 3DS, I actually think it works very well (especially playing Monster Hunter 3G).

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

My handhelds get console like treatment from me so bulk not an issue. Loved the first cpp it never left my 3ds and the XL version looks even more sleek. Hope we don't have to wait much longer for this in NA.

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

@Arthedain Same! I want to play Revelations and MGS3 on the XL eventually

It's not like I'm tryin to be "stylin" when I am playing a handheld game lol. If it is too bulky I'll just play those games at home or places that are more clever for the XLCPP (which is not big deal at all). The abbreviation to end all abbreviations right there... :D

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

If they eventually decide to release a decent FPS for 3ds then i will buy it
or better yet a Metroid Prime 3D game i would actually be the happiest man alive seriously i cant believe its been almost 2 years and theres no 3D Metroid game

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

@Boo_Buster No, the abbreviation to end all abbreviations is the one for Adventure Time: Hey, Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage!? Or AT:HIKWYSOG. Can't wait to see how the reviews handle that one. :D

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

@RupeeClock I'm looking forward to that as well although, if it takes a while to come out, I may still get this one to be able to play the aforementioned games in the meantime.

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

I modded my original CPP already and it's perfectly functional, if not quite as sturdy, so I don't really care if they do or if they don't get one out soon.
However, if I hadn't decided to go ahead and do that (Nintendo forced me to by not releasing it prior to the 3DSXL launch), I would be really mad that it's taking this long.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

I really liked the CPP, no matter what it looked like. It added a nice weight and grip to the old 3DS model. I Really dont care what this thing looks like, i works really well and thats what matters. Im getting the XL version as soon as it comes out to finally play RE Revelations on my XL. I cant get myself to play this game without a second stick.

ArcanaXVI

ArcanaXVI said:

I'm another supporter of the original Circle Pad Pro, and personally I think the new one will be good as well. I don't have a 3DS XL, and don't particularly have any desire to change that right now, but it's great that those who updated can now continue playing with dual-analog control.

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

I can't wait for the Circle Pad Pro Xtra Small for the upcoming 3DS Lite and the Circle Pad Pro XXL for the upcoming 3DS tablet! (LOL)

But seriously, this still won't quite sate the desires of southpaw stalwarts. If the goal of the bottom half of the 3DS is to be symmetrical, it will need to be redesigned. With a pen stylus or thumb stylus, the original DS was closer to symmetry since it used a simpler control scheme. Squeezing in analog functions with good symmetry would require squeezing in the necessary circuitry.

Increased dimensions, as with the 3DS XL, are not enough to satisfy conditions for comfort combined with practicality. A new design would be needed.

Nin-freak

Nin-freak said:

Looks better designed than the smaller version. In fact, I find the XL still too small for perfect comfort. Your fingers still hit each other behind the console :P This might make it a perfect size for absolute comfort.

Hokori

Hokori said:

I went to a TRU and saw its demo stand and it's 3DS was SMALLER then my original 3DS :O I was like WT.... Why is this small? Did they release a secret 3DS Micro?

hydeks

hydeks said:

am I the only one that feels like the 2nd joystick should have just been there on the system to begin with? Piss poor choices Nintendo :P

dreycat

dreycat said:

@WiiLovePeace not brilliantly, using buttons to aim down the sights is a bit blocky and you cant gets an as accurate shot as a circle pad considering with buttons your only got two speeds off and on you know? it would be a nice addition to games in the future like other resident evils and animal crossing, and even monster hunter.