Beastly Monster Hunter 4 Details Emerge from the Pages of Famitsu

Posted by Damien McFerran

New information on Capcom's forthcoming 3DS epic

The latest issue of Famitsu is positively bursting with content about Capcom's upcoming Monster Hunter 4 - arguably one of the most eagerly-awaited 3DS titles in Japan.

The folks over at Andriasang have been busy translating the feature, and have extracted the following information:

MH4 adds a weapon called "Controllable Insect." This weapon involves commanding a "hunting insect" to get power ups from other monsters.

To use this new hunting companion, you mark a target monster. Release the insect, and it will head out to the monster and suck up its energy. Call the insect back, and you'll be able to use its bounty to strengthen your character.

The "energy" the insect sucks up is called "EX" (or possibly EXE). The property it strengthens is indicated by its color. White increases your speed. Red increases your attack strength. Green increases your vitality. Orange increases your defensive strength.

The hunting insects are capable of jumping, so they may be able to reach areas that aren't accessible by you.

The game is expected to launch in Japan in the Spring of next year.

[via vg247.com, andriasang.com]

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

You know what would be beastly? Some localisation news or dates. Seriously Capcom - Get on it.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@Geonjaha They aren't even done with the game yet. I doubt they'll announce localization news until at least the winter.

BTW, looks like the Jaggi are back. And the new black monster is called "Goa Magara".

erv

erv said:

I absolutely love monster hunter. But I don't know about 3ds, I just want a monster hunter awesome online edition for the wiiU.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

I could never beat the gobul in monster hunter tri (I know, what's wrong with me!!) but I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting this if it comes to america.

pixelman

pixelman said:

I'm curious about whether or not it'll have online. You'd think if it was going to we'd have heard about it by now.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

I want so bad. This is why I got a 3DS as early as I did. Come on Capcom, announce this already!

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

This could very well be my first Monster Hunter game.
... if it´s released in Europe at all that is.

Someone is still bitter about the case of Ace Attorney Investigations 2.

Samholy

Samholy said:

finally ! finally i have good news from nintendo !
if it was not of the 3DS, I would dare saying nintendo is gonna lose a fan!

now...dont fail again and bring this one in NA.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

That insect weapon sounds pretty interesting. Was there any word on whether it actually hurt the monsters it attacked, or could take down a weaker monster?

Void

Void said:

Since I can't read japanese, news about MH4 will only matter to me if they are confirming it's coming outside of Japan... It does look epic, though.

BRAINFOX

BRAINFOX said:

It will NOT have online. Capcom has never put it in any of their portable MH titles and are probably not going to put it in a western release if one were to be made.

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

So because Capcom has yet to put online into a portable Monster Hunter, that automatically indicates no chances for the 3DS sequel to have it? I don't think so.

Windy

Windy said:

Aren't they already playing a monster hunter game on 3ds in Japan? Hmmm is it getting localised or will a system seller be held out till the bitter end. This title is a longway off from seeing a NA or EU release. hopes up everyone. So frustrating being a nintendo fan these days. At least an old gamer nintendo fan

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@BRAINFOX That's hardly a legitimate argument considering all main entries in the series have been online. Monster Hunter, Monster Hunter 2, Monster 3 all had online so it would be odd if Monster Hunter 4 DIDN'T have online.

BRAINFOX

BRAINFOX said:

MH 1-3 were console games. What I meant was it's unlikely that they would put an online mode on a portable title since none of the others did. Although I think you might be right in that respect. Now if only they'd release the others first!

luminalace

luminalace said:

"Arguably ONE of the 3ds eagerly awaited titles"? My guess is, this is the most anticipated 3DS title in Japan, especially considering MH 3G has sold almost as much as MK7 and Super Mario 3D Land.

Monster Hunter may be just be the biggest franchise these days in Japan and is well and truly up there with Dragon Quest and Pokemon!

theperson

theperson said:

why cant they just give us 3g already then they can take their time with 4 for all i care (as long as we still get it) i just want some way to play monster hunter on the go. the problem with tri was that there was no way to quick save in a quest but on 3ds it will be fine because of sleep mode. If they arent gonna give us 3g then they can work on 4 but i think we should get both. even though mh isnt extremely popular in the uk, i still think its great so why should people who like a game not get it just because other people dont like it

gamer2000

gamer2000 said:

please china im beggin thee give us a good monster hunter i mean tri was nice but this is the even 3g kicks so please cause iiiiiiiiiii iiii will alwaayyyys love yoooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuu and iiiiii