The Legend of Zelda is Now 25 in The U.S.

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Celebrate with a fake 3DS Zelda image

Yesterday brought a major anniversary for The Legend of Zelda, as it was released in the U.S. on 22nd August 1987, making it another 25th anniversary. Of course, Nintendo has already celebrated the series a great deal with orchestral concerts, a free download of The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition and a rather nice soundtrack CD with copies of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword: all to celebrate the original Japanese anniversary. Nevertheless, we doff our Link-themed hats to the series for yet another notable landmark.

With it being a major anniversary, the image below also appeared on Gamefaqs.com with the subject heading "Merry Christmas. Don't ask", causing a mini-frenzy of speculation and attempts at translating the text. The general conclusion, after translation efforts that seem to suggest that it's subtitled 'Shrimp Shield', is that this may be a mock up produced in something like Colors! 3D.

We do know that Nintendo is working on an all-new Zelda title for 3DS, as it's been teased and semi-confirmed by Eiji Aonuma, amongst others. We doubt, however, that the image below is it.

[via gamefaqs.com, uk.ign.com]

monoxzide

monoxzide said:

can't wait for some info on the new 3ds zelda..i'd be happy with a few official screenshots at this point..just to see how its going

MrWezzle

MrWezzle said:

I think it's funny that the old Zelda logo up there has what looks like a rapier in it. There's no mistaking that thing for the Master Sword, or even for the sword Link uses in the game. That sucker was THICK.

LittleKing

LittleKing said:

1. Photoshop together Zelda logo.
2. Slap on SD card.
3. Slap SD card in 3DS.
4. View image using built in photo software.
5. Take picture of screen.
6. Post to gamefaqs, where 51% of the world's trolls reside.
7. ???
8. PROFIT.

I doubt it's real, but at least the poster was using a relatively high level account. The chances are a little better for it. Here's hoping it's a brand new Zelda for the 3DS in the style of A Link to the Past.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

The thing is, Zelda games in Japan wouldn't have the title "Legend of Zelda" in English, with just the subtitle in Japanese. They're always in full Japanese. The Gamefaqs user should have known that if they wanted this image to pass for real even for five seconds.

Neram

Neram said:

Hah, cool, I didn't even notice this and I was coincidentally playing Ocarina of Time yesterday too.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

They should put the four swords on the eshop/dsi shop again for a week or two for those people who never got it.

Klinny

Klinny said:

I'm kind of dying for some new information on the next 3DS Zelda. I would love a remake of Majora's Mask personally, (I loved the 3DS version of Ocarina of Time!) If they make a new title, though, I just really hope it isn't gimicky, and that they focus on gameplay instead of showcasing the gyroscope or 3D capabilities of the system.

Jukilum

Jukilum said:

@Klinny I Think Nintendo realizes that they can't sell a Zelda game on a weak gimmick. Heck, they almost didn't put Wii MotionPlus support into Skyward Sword until they saw how well the sword fighting worked in Wii Sports Resort.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@Undead_terror I hope they do. I didn't get my 3DS until December since I was waiting for the Monster Hunter 3G special edition pack, so I missed out on Four Swords and the Ambassador Program.

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

Happy 25th Anniversary, Legend of Zelda! again. Now could ya'll have the symphony come to memphis sometime?

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

@Klyo
That's precisely what I was getting at. :D
Ebi sushi is sushi with ebi on it.
As you can see in the image, the title has エビ in it. "エ" is just "e", and "ビ" is just "bi". So, this says "ebi".
Ebi is the Japanese word for prawns or shrimp.
"シールド" is pretty much just the English word "shield" all spelled out. it's pronounced sort of like "shiirudo" in Japanese.
So therefore, the title is "shrimp shield".

Hmm. I wonder if I can explain myself better than this. Though this WAS pretty tedious an explanation! it'll have to do. :P

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

The ;Legend of Zelda series,is very much like the Queen,because they both have 2 birthdays a year.

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

@Tsuchinoko I'm pretty sure that a lot of Chinese restaurants would be aware that many Western people just aren't all that knowledgeable about the differences between East Asian languages, and so that if they were asked "what does ebi mean?", they'd just nod and say "shrimp" without making a whole issue about it. I would presume that ebi sushi is well-known enough for Chinese restaurant staff to know that ebi means shrimp in Japanese.

Dodger

Dodger said:

I totally would play the Legend of Zelda: The Shrimp Shield.

I think they should make a Zelda game based around the CDi games. A sidescrolling Zelda with cheesy dialog and cartoony graphics. That could be a really cool spinoff, I think.