Nicalis Bringing The Fight to eShop With Yatagarasu

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Cue custom rock music

Nicalis is one of the most well-known publishers on Nintendo's download services, and has already weighed in on the 3DS eShop with indie classic VVVVVV, which we voted as our favourite eShop game back in June. The developer and publisher is also well known by Nintendo download enthusiasts for producing three separate versions of Cave Story, with a fourth apparently on the way. Happily, the latest reveal from Nicalis is something new, and it looks like it could be rather good.

A trailer has been revealed for Yatagarasu, a 2D fighting game on the way to eShop in Europe and North America. It has some significant pedigree, with members of the small development team having previous experience on the King of Fighters series; it'll feature single and two player versus, a training mode and will have parry attacks in its move set.

Attendees at PAX Prime will be able to try it out at the Indie Megabooth, and we hope to go hands on and bring you some impressions soon. Check out the trailer below, and like us you can soak in the slightly cheesy rock track and wonder why some characters have localised names displayed and others don't. Either way, it looks full of promise.

[via destructoid.com]

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Smitherenez I believe it's adopted from an indie-PC game, like VVVVVV. I fear that if they didn't bother making that one full screen, this one might be the same.

Smitherenez

Smitherenez said:

I know, but I despise those games that have some of those ugly borders around it. Like 3D classics Kirby's Adventure. It is just a waste of the screen...

lancea34

lancea34 said:

Nicalis said on their Twitter that we we'll be able to play this game in both widescreen and original modes.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Looks good but unless it can compete with Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition I doubt I'll get it since it can be found for $10.

Samholy

Samholy said:

brawlers arent my type. i sold street fighter 3d edition 2 weeks after I bought it

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

This game looks awesome. It´s difficult to see an elaborated game like this in a download.

Phle

Phle said:

That looks pretty nice, sad if it wont be full screen though...

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

good to see another fighting game on the 3DS, but this one is a eshop download, which makes it interesting. the fact that it has some of the people who worked on king of fighters is good too. and it looks pretty good.

i'd download this one.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

YES A FIGHTING GAME.
Even though we are getting a recent wide amount of fighting games on the Wii shop. I want one for my handheld.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

It looks pretty good but I'll wait for reviews and impressions before I decide whether to get it or not.

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

looks very much like a late Neo Geo game.

Would love if it included online.

pariah164

pariah164 said:

Oooh, I am intrigued. If the price is right and NL gives it a good score, I may pick it up.

RR529

RR529 said:

I can't wait! I've been hoping something like this would be announced for eShop.

Windy

Windy said:

I think it looks great but can we do something with online wifi? this local wifi which is useless is no longer a selling point. Oh wait if you work in the offices in Redmond washington you may pick up some local wifi games. But for those of us in the real world hmph!

Icefreak45

Icefreak45 said:

I bought DoA: D with my 3ds but haven't touched it since forever. I'm willing to try this though, looks pretty good ^^

Azikira

Azikira said:

If they can add some online competition, it will definitely add to the longevity of this game, that's for sure.

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

I'm not much of a fighter fan, but this one looks interesting. If there's online gameplay as well, that'll be a very strong temptation.

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

That "slightly cheesy rock track" is pretty much cheesy only in the US and UK. Pretty much everywhere else in the world, guitar rock is still very popular - especially Japan. Also, this IS a Japanese game. Soooo... that's why not every character has an English name. Not every game in Japan has characters with English names. It just depends on how the designers develop and name their characters. It's very common for Japanese developers to mix Kanji and English alphabets together.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I'm a fan of arcade fighting game so this really interest me a lot. Hopefully this game would persuade other company to bring their fighters to the eShop such as KOF, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and BlazBlue.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Finally, just the third new fighting game on a digital Nintendo platform (not counting old games on VC) after "Overturn" and "Rage of the Gladiator!"

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

This game looks great! :D
I'm really excited for this(Fighters are my favorite genre).
Does anyone know what the price is(for US)?

Xilef

Xilef said:

If i can make my brother by this i will probably get this. We need a good portable fighter.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Looks nice but I will wait for reviews/impressions or longer videos to see how it plays. The 8 character roster is really an old school concept.

NassaDane

NassaDane said:

100% interested and people behind KOF makes it sound perfect. Although I will never get it because it isn't real. I'm not wasting money on a digital game that doesn't really exist. I'll just wait for the real version with box and card. It's kind of sick to know they think they can sell things that aren't real. I would buy this instantly if it was actually sold.

The only thing is the backgrounds look a little like Guilty Gear backgrounds but not all of them and that can be forgiven.

Hokori

Hokori said:

I'll DL this if it has online, because even though I like DoA and SSFIV, the problem is I always have to swap out the carts and with this being eShop I can always remember to go online with this