Rumour: This is Wii U's Controller Charging Dock

Posted by James Newton

Looks the part

Wii U's controller will come with a built-in rechargeable battery, so naturally Nintendo will provide a means of charging it with the console. It may not be as boring as a cable though: it could be an immensely exciting cradle.

NeoGAF user Aostia claims to have unearthed a patent showing off a charging dock for the controller, which would work rather like the cradle included with the 3DS console. It makes sense: this close-up of the controller's bottom edge, taken from Nintendo's E3 photos last year, shows two metal contacts that would fit with a dock:

Untitled

It's not so certain how the dock is powered, though we'd guess USB via the console. Expect mains charging adaptors to be very popular with third party peripheral manufacturers, though.

[via neogaf.com]

Xilef

Xilef said:

Lookes nice. The 3DS had a charge cradle, so it's not impossible they are doing similair with the Wii U.

Kirk

Kirk said:

I think it's pretty much certain the Wii U is going to have a wee charge cradle like this.

It makes sense in so many ways and now with this image it's pretty much set in stone imo.

Onett

Onett said:

I wonder how long the battery life is on the Wii U's controller? Hopefully this thing won't take too long to charge either.

tat2

tat2 said:

Those bumps that are horizontal aren't the contact points,they're there so that the pad will fit in the dock, otherwise the pad would be too likely to fall of from it.
Those vertical lines are the contact points that'll come out when that big thing in the middle is pressed down.

At least that's how I see it.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

A charging cradle worked well for the 3DS, so obviously the Wii U will have a similar counterpart. The appearance of this rumor reminds me of the stream of rumors that appeared before E3 last year. Could rumors pop up again before E3 this year?

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Nice. I hope it's like with the 3DS cradle where you can choose to charge the batteries by either cord or cradle.

Kirk
Dashtag

Dashtag said:

I'm expecting something like this... I'm hoping it'll be like the 3DS and you can either use the cradle or cord, depending on how you want to charge it.

King_Boo

King_Boo said:

If I remember right, the charging port is on top next to the stylus. Could have both options.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

I wonder if they'll do a cable as well, that way we can play and keep it charged. :p

motang

motang said:

I would really like it if I can charge it and play games at the same time ... similar to what Sony has done with their Dual shock 3.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Well I've been promoting using the Upad as a digital clock/digital photo frame for about 10 months now so this works for me ;-)

They still need a cord option like the 3DS has (and we use b/c the base doesn't work w/ the way cool Zelda and Mario hard covers) so you can charge it while you play.

I really hope this comes w/ a power cord and not a USB port as cords charge much faster than USB. Plus I don't want a cord dangling out from behind my WiiU near the tv, I'ld much rather have this cradle on the end table next to where I sit on the couch. The more I think about it the less sense it makes to have this connected to the WiU, in fact it makes no sense at all.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

I could see a cradle like this happening. It could even be used as a pedestal of sorts to hold the remote upright while you watch video streaming on it, which would go perfectly with the whole "one person can watch TV while another uses the Wii U remote" idea. If it's sturdy enough, it might even have use as an easel. Even so, I hope there's a cord option as well. I'd prefer to be able to charge while playing like PS3 remotes do.

fredtoy

fredtoy said:

It woulde be great if this controller could show messages and notifications while Wii U is in stanby mode. It would be great too if it could be used in a similar way as an alarm clock while the console sleeps and it's at the dock. The alarm clock software could be something similar to Mario clock on DSiWare.

paburrows

paburrows said:

I used the 3DS charging cradle faithfilly for the first few weeks, then I just used the the cord by itself and haven't gone back.

Nin-freak

Nin-freak said:

Looks like it's made to double as a stand. Makes sense if games will use Wii remotes to point at the Wii U tablet.

Nin-freak

Nin-freak said:

@Kirk Thanks! That's totally legit. Those raised pieces of metal go into those 2 grooves to hold the remote up. It looks completely legit. It's a good fake if its not.

thanos316

thanos316 said:

well more and more rumors cometh. e3 is only a month away now. so things will heat up more and more. im betting that the new cod will be coming to wii u, also they may be a name change, and a couple of other games will be coming to wii u that no one would have ever think of.

BenAV

BenAV said:

It needs to have a cable too because I don't want to stop playing just so I can charge.
At least with the Wii Remotes I have four of them so I just switch around when it's running low on battery.
Having a dock too is still cool though, although I don't know if I'll use it or not.
Never used the 3DS charging dock once.

MetroidMasher17

MetroidMasher17 said:

Will the Wii U have a stand like the Wii does? Because having the console in the stand and the controller in the cradle side by side would look awesome.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

I have to say. I think it's a smart and interesting move for Nintendo to provide a charging cradle for the Wii U tablet controller like they did with the 3DS. That along with the fact of knowing that the tablet controller will come with a rechargable battery makes me extremely happy. No more having to exchange AA batteries just to have access to my controller anymore is good idea to me anyday.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

@MetroidMasher17
Looking at the actual console it seems like it won't be able to be turned on it's side or like a stand would be included. They could have changed this though, so we'll see at E3.

I want one as well. I agree that it would look really nice.

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

Ha ha, the first thing that came to my mind after seeing this was the Nyko Powerpak+. Now I'm picturing my Wii U controller with one of those attached to it, which will probably happen shortly after the release of the Wii U.

BluArtistEyes

BluArtistEyes said:

I hope the usb plugs in to anywhere usb power, because it would be totally useless to me as a charging dock if it required plugging into the console. That'd be like here is a wireless controller with the same restraints as a corded one. I love the docking stations for most the game consoles for the reason I can plug them into my couch surge protector that is mounted into my couch and have them resting on the coffee table and have a place to store the controllers where they have a home and look nice a simple throw rug covers the wires that go from table to couch. I have a usb port on the surge protector, so as long as it doesn't specifically look for console software I won't care, but that would ruin it if they made it reliant on console I'll have to buy aftermarket made by someone other than Nintendo if they do that.