New Castlevania Title Confirmed for 3DS

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Nintendo Power with big reveal

Last week we shared a rumour that a new Castlevania title was in development for 3DS: it seems that the rumour was true, as it's now been revealed in Nintendo Power. It's to be called Castlevania: Lords of Shadow — Mirror of Fate, which isn't the snappiest game title that we've heard.

Details from the magazine, according to some, suggest that it will be a 2.5D title, perhaps moving on from the conventional 2D perspective of the Game Boy Advance and DS entries. There's talk of impressive combo moves and it will apparently feature Trevor Belmont, with events leading up to a home console sequel to Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, which graced PS3 and Xbox 360. Details on the sequel platforms are unknown, so there's hope that it'll feature on Wii U.

With a magazine reveal out of the way we'd expect Konami to share more at E3. Until then, what do you think of a handheld Castlevania following the Lords of Shadow series, and are you interested in trying a 2.5D perspective?

[via gonintendo.com]

Mandoble

Mandoble said:

First good news for 3DS I read in a year, hopefully they are not just starting to develop it.

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

I have no problem with Lord of Shadow gameplay. Not too high on the 2.5D thing though. Can't wait to learn more about the game.

AVahne

AVahne said:

I'm pretty sure that 2.5D just means it'll be a 2D game with 3D models. OR a 3D game or semi-top down game with 2D sprites.

Wesker

Wesker said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I hope it's not a Symphony of the Night style game, but a Rondo of Blood style game. I hate all the levelling up, backtracking and item management. I just want to play a real Castlevania game!

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

My understanding of 2.5D is that you'd still be running left and right a lot of the time, but there'd be some bigger areas or scope to move up/down or forward/back occasionally as well. It depends, and note that the article says 'perhaps', we won't really know how the gameplay works until we see it.

My definition of 2.5D isn't necessarily perfect, either. I imagine that staying away from full on 3D (like the home console title) is to cater for having a smaller screen + limited power in the system. I'm looking forward to finding out more.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@Wesker
I'm with ya man. I want a traditional style Castlevania, not another Metroidvania....I don't think i could bare to go through one of those again. SOTN(which i didn't enjoy that much in the first place) and Dawn of Sorrow(pretty good actually imo) were enough for me.

leveling up, backtracking and the crazy item management put me off, and the fact that you could get endless amounts of Health Potions felt like cheating(I never did) and completely ruined the challenge. I personally don't bother with HP potions and play it straight up old school to get that rock hard challenge regarding the boss battles. B-) Anyways, I want a new Super Castlevania IV(Ahem 'V')
But already this rumor of 'combo based' gameplay has turned me slightly off...I guarantee it's going to be another metroidvania...

And forget that Wii U lord of Shadows sequal, yawn...

Xilef

Xilef said:

Sounds interesting. Planing to check out the Castlevania games more so having a new game coming out is pretty nice.

Edlicious

Edlicious said:

ugh I wanted a nice 3D one.
2D or 2.5D games to be are pointless on a 3DS?
the visuals dont really shine like they could

BattleBorn

BattleBorn said:

Dunno what type of game this will be, but the mere fact it's not yet another Iga Metroidvania sounds promising to me. Castlevania should go back to it's true retro roots, not the inferior Metroid-lite that obnoxious fanboys claim is so sacred.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

Actually, my big thing is not the perspective. I love the 2D Castlevania games a lot. Honestly I've never played a 3D CV game that I've found nearly as fun. My big worry is that I'm not really all that excited about the games being outsourced. I assumed that the previous title was going to be a one-off game, and that future CV titles would be again developed by the Japanese team who had developed the games before, the ones that I had so enjoyed. I'm not really enjoying the outsourcing trend so much, it pretty much destroyed Silent Hill (again Konami), and just creates a lot of problems (quite a few foreign outsourced games actually don't even get released in Japan, even though the series were made in Japan at the start).
I'm really hoping the CV games go back to being Japanese developed.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Well as long as its not a God of War wannabe like the first Lord of Shadows than I am all up for it and will check it out.

Wesker

Wesker said:

@Wildfire I'm glad to see other people feel similarly to me. It's been too long since Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth (My favourite WiiWare game) and I want another one! On my 3DS!

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

@Wesker You are certainly not in the minority,i prefer the traditional styled games over the metroidvanias.

I am not too excited for the fact that it's connected to that horrible 3D game,but whatever i want a CV game for my 3DS and this will be it.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

I couldn't care less about Lords of Shadow 2, but I'm still (very) cautiously optimistic about a side-scrolling, exploration-focused Mirror of Fate.

I'm definitely not a fan of the decision to go for polygonal 2.5D over pixel-heavy/handdrawn 2D, though; generally speaking, I think the former tends to look much less pretty.

Wildfire

Wildfire said:

@Wesker I also loved Castlevania Rebirth! You can't imagine how surprised and happy I was when I saw that Rebirth was like the old classics! The pure joy and fun of simpler times! As for the metroidvania games, I've just finished last week Order of Ecclesia and It was like a neverending chore! They're all the same and all that hassle with the experience points and backtracking!! I just can't stand it anymore!

MattEriks

MattEriks said:

i hope they make a metroidvania that is more like metroid with only item upgrades. Not the super boring lv grinding that sotn started. Ok i admit that i liked the gba and ds castlevanias... The first playthrought that is, the second run i got very frustrated over the grindin, an i tought this is why metroid fusion is better

ueI

ueI said:

@MattEriks You don't have to grind in any of them.

Nintendo Power's website has their cover story blurred out! How did you guys figure out it was Castlevania?

ianmage1

ianmage1 said:

I usually know about games before I receive each NP issue... this is probably the first time NP has revealed something that I didn't know about.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

You don't really have to grind much in Metroidvanias, that's part of the beauty of their design imo. If you want a stiffer, slightly more traditional challenge, you absolutely can go through those games facing only the enemies you deem necessary and selectively upgrading your abilities and equipment.

But being able to grind and level-up the player character is always a nice option for those that feel like they aren't quite as skilled at combat. It's really up to the player to decide how much they need those extra stat boosts.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

@Wesker I'm with you there. I loved Castlevania: The Adventue Rebirth and still want Konami to make the sequel on it based on the 2nd Game Boy title. I'm not too keen with the 3D Castlevania titles that hit the PS2/PS3. I'm excited about this new one for the 3DS so maybe they will make one for the 3DS and perhaps continue the Rebirth series on the WiiU.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

@Wildfire the backtracking wasn't THAT bad. I liked the GBA and DS series sine I'm still a big fan of Symphony of the Night. If it wasn't your kind of game, so be it but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

Please be made by japanese and please be a metroidvania!... Though somehow I get the feeling they decided to completely ruin the 2d games too by giving it to those idiot spanish developers.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Ew, if this is being outsourced to a western developer(unless it's WayForward) than count me out...Silent Hill's already being butchered, and now Castlevania?
And yes, another ReBirth-like title would be fantastic! i think we can all agree that the final battle against Draco' was easily one of the best finale boss battles in the franchise. :D

kdognumba1

kdognumba1 said:

Hmm, I enjoy 2.5d and castlevania, I wasn't too keen on Lords of Shadow as it felt very much like God of War and not enough like Castlevania. Not that Lords of Shadow was bad, cause it was still a stellar game, but it was a GoW clone.

luminalace

luminalace said:

This game was leaked by a reliable source (see article at vooks.net) and the article also confirmed Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 for Wii U. If the 3DS game turned out to be true, here's hoping the Wii U title is too! I will be getting them both for sure. Fingers crossed!

Popyman

Popyman said:

I'll probably buy both, I loved Lords of Shadow. :D ...actually, I didn't even beat that yet--going to have to finish it up!

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Looks like more Western influence on a Japanese series... With the exception of Metroid Prime, I haven't been impressed with this combination yet. Hopefully this one bucks the general trend!

DraculaX

DraculaX said:

Well as long as it's like SOTN then I'm okay with it (leveling up, backtracking, etc.). Although I am disappointed that the only weapon that will be available seems to be the whip. As much as I like using a whip in Castlevania games, I prefer swords. Oh well, I should complain, they are at least making another 2D(-ish) Castlevania game.

shredmeister

shredmeister said:

I think 2.5D is like what they did on the Dracula X Chronicles for the PSP. It makes sense to me, considering that they had to make use of the 3DS stereoscopic screen. So, yeah, it'll be 3-dimensional, but you'll only be able to move in the 1st and 2nd dimension.

Anyways, it sounds like this will be a refreshing new Castlevania title

seronja

seronja said:

check out "yoshi's story n64" gameplay on youtube and you will get how 2.5D looks like... it's not 3D and it's not 2D either it's something in the midlle

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Huh. This thread is making me want to check out CV: Rebirth for Wiiware. I also GREATLY prefer the classic platformer 'Vanias to the SOTN-style. Rondo of Blood was awesome. If the new 3DS game has the straight-forward, tightly designed levels of the classics with cool 2.5D perspective (I'm imagining something like Metroid: Other M, actually) I'd be all for that.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

2.5D is stuff like Cave Story 3D, Klonoa, Mega Man Powered Up and the Subspace Emissary mode in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Namely, everything is in 3D, but the gameplay takes place in a 2D plane.

Henmii

Henmii said:

So it really is a Lord of shadows spin-off and it's probably not sidescrolling either. So maybe it won't be that good after all. But we have to wait and see!

Henmii

Henmii said:

I saw the first screenshots. It's sadly no sprite-work, but it does look nice. And by the way: it seems to be a sidescroller.